Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine runs with key off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
greenie

After much work on the car this winter a new problem appears.

I got the engine in last week, fired right up and ran for 10 minutes or so, turned off key, no problems.

I took her for a drive, came home and shut it off, it seemed to run for a second after I turned key off, weird but again no problems.

After a long drive yesterday I turn the key off and it continued to run. I popped the clutch to kill her.

I can now turn the key, dash lights come on and off properly but I can hear the fuel pump run continuously until I turn the key off. Is a bad ignition switch going to do this?

I don't think I have a wiring problem since I started and stopped the engine ten times or so without a problem. I was checking a few things prior to this problem, good voltage on battery, alternator is charging properly.

Is this a bad ignition switch or something else?

914Sixer
Switch probably split in the housing. Try and find a German one if possible. Autohausaz shows to have Miestersatz /CRP . I believe these are made in Germany.
rhodyguy
At least it didn't fail in the off position requiring a tow home. On a Sunday. Even worse would it have happened in between cottage grove and grants pass in May. Then you're stuck 8 miles south of Drain Oregon. Btdt, catastrophic tire failure and the spare had just enough air to make me think it was driveable. It wasn't.
porschetub
QUOTE(greenie @ Apr 5 2016, 09:31 AM) *

After much work on the car this winter a new problem appears.

I got the engine in last week, fired right up and ran for 10 minutes or so, turned off key, no problems.

I took her for a drive, came home and shut it off, it seemed to run for a second after I turned key off, weird but again no problems.

After a long drive yesterday I turn the key off and it continued to run. I popped the clutch to kill her.

I can now turn the key, dash lights come on and off properly but I can hear the fuel pump run continuously until I turn the key off. Is a bad ignition switch going to do this?

I don't think I have a wiring problem since I started and stopped the engine ten times or so without a problem. I was checking a few things prior to this problem, good voltage on battery, alternator is charging properly.

Is this a bad ignition switch or something else?

This small part can cause all sorts of grief, I had intermitent turn signal and wiper issues until it died,was split half way through the plastic housing when I got it out.
Bought the one that Pelican sell seems they are the good ones as mentioned.
JRust
I buy the switches from Pelican. I always buy 2 so I have a spare in the glove box. Cheap part overall & not the best quality. So best to have one there ready when it goes out again.
DCJosh
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 5 2016, 02:48 PM) *

I buy the switches from Pelican. I always buy 2 so I have a spare in the glove box. Cheap part overall & not the best quality. So best to have one there ready when it goes out again.

Is this the actual switch which the key turns in? Any chance you have a part number? My car has not been started yet during my purchase and during my restoration , but I did turn the key and the entire tumbler came out when I pulled the key out of the ignition.
greenie

I bought the new switch, pulled the steering wheel, and removed the old switch.

I said to my wife, " Its great to find the broken part, look see this crack I just need to install my new switch and put it all back together.

I installed the new switch, everything looks and feels good.

Same problem! Engine is still running with the key off. WTF.gif

I'm going to trace the wiring to the starter and try to figure out what the heck is going on.

falcor75
Start the Engine and then turn it off so it keeps running with the key off....press the brake pedal...if it dies then you have this issue which is easily solved.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...l-not-stop.html

Did it on my car about a month ago, worked perfectly.

Amphicar770
Click to view attachment
iamchappy
What type ignition are you running, it is possible power is leaking back into the system via the alternator dash light wire if your using an aftermarket electronic one . One way diodes can fix that.
SLITS
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 7 2016, 08:07 AM) *

What type ignition are you running, it is possible power is leaking back into the system via the alternator dash light wire if your using an aftermarket electronic one . One way diodes can fix that.

agree.gif

Had the problem once. Installed a diode and it was over.
jsaum
Does everything else work in the off position? Is your car a 73 or 74? Looking at the 74 diagram there is a power supply relay J16. It sounds like a stuck relay to me. Maybe you should sell that green POS and buy a red one!
Scott S
agree.gif

Are you an MSD by any chance? Same thing happened to me on the initial install.
rhodyguy
I think a pertronic ign.
greenie
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 7 2016, 01:42 PM) *

I think a pertronic ign.

Pertronix.
greenie
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Apr 7 2016, 06:02 AM) *

I agree !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.