Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pressure plate question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
The clutch disk arrived and it fits the flywheel perfectly. But when I put on the pressure plate, I align it with the dowels and it sits about 1/4" off the flywheel.

I have not done this in a while, but I do not remember having to pull the pressure plate in with the bolts. Shouldn't it just sit on the surface and bolt up.

I am thinking one of my parts isn't right.

Sachs Pressure Plate and disk. German new flywheel.
r_towle
Look at the edge it bolts to on the flywheel.
Is it sitting tight?

It does need to be pulled in onto the dowel pins and that presses the springs in th pressure plate, so bolt it down and see.

Rich
wndsnd
It is loose on dowels but would compress springs

Click to view attachment

jkonzelman
I would check to ensure that the flywheel and clutch and PP all seat well prior to installing on the engine? perhaps it has to do with how it is lined up once on the engine.
r_towle
Bolt it down it's all good, you will see
wndsnd
What is worst that can happen, not enough throw to disengage, or using a part that makes it unreturnable..

I will have to look at all the paperwork, stuff is packed in files as was bought throughout the year.
r_towle
It's fine, bolt it down.
r_towle
Sorry, get up off your ass, walk out there in your heated man cave and bolt it down.
wndsnd
In the crib already. Not going to happen till tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 4 2016, 04:40 PM) *

It is loose on dowels but would compress springs

Click to view attachment

Think carefully about this......it's a "Pressure Plate"......it has to exert pressure or your clutch will burn up. That 1/4" is what creates the pressure holding the clutch disk against the flywheel. Also, when centering the disk in there, the red alignment tool is helpful but to be really sure, slide in a stack of feeler gauge leaves in around the edge three places 120 degrees apart to get it perfect.
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 4 2016, 09:25 PM) *

Thanks for the advice.

It's fine, it's how it is.
Keep tightening in a cross pattern, and keep re centering the dowel as you get more and more tight.
No marks nor damage happens to the clutch disk, it get smushed in there, as it should.

When it comes time to put the tranny on, you can wiggle things and still move the disk to get everything to fit and get the trans to slide in place.

The tranny gives you lots of leverage.
tomrev
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 4 2016, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 4 2016, 09:25 PM) *

Thanks for the advice.

It's fine, it's how it is.
Keep tightening in a cross pattern, and keep re centering the dowel as you get more and more tight.
No marks nor damage happens to the clutch disk, it get smushed in there, as it should.

When it comes time to put the tranny on, you can wiggle things and still move the disk to get everything to fit and get the trans to slide in place.

The tranny gives you lots of leverage.

Exactly! See above, as you tighten it down, the clutch fingers press against the disc, and the whole package snugs up. All is well!
ClayPerrine
I am surprised no one else noticed that you have the dowel pin in a bolt hole.....

porschetub
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 6 2016, 01:06 AM) *

I am surprised no one else noticed that you have the dowel pin in a bolt hole.....

Noticed that myself,the dowel position takes a few test fits ,when lined up you can mark it,the dowels will line up in the smaller holes on the raised section of the pressure plate,found mine were a firm fit.
Pull the plate up evenly as you go to ,use quality high tensile bolts and all will be good.
Make sure you lube the pilot bearing and gearbox shaft spline,not certain about others on here but I found the gearbox was a pretty tight fit going on,I used a steel alignment tool when fitting so I knew that was ok.
Important to replace all the parts for the release lever also.
wndsnd
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 5 2016, 08:06 AM) *

You are The Man Clay!

It is amazing what a fresh pair of eyes will do when you are old and weary.

Dowels were a little snug then it just popped right in, fits like a glove. Thanks for speaking up.
wndsnd
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 5 2016, 03:31 PM) *

Noticed that myself,the dowel position takes a few test fits ,when lined up you can mark it,the dowels will line up in the smaller holes on the raised section of the pressure plate,found mine were a firm fit.
Pull the plate up evenly as you go to ,use quality high tensile bolts and all will be good.
Make sure you lube the pilot bearing and gearbox shaft spline,not certain about others on here but I found the gearbox was a pretty tight fit going on,I used a steel alignment tool when fitting so I knew that was ok.

I replaced everything about 5000 miles ago. Hopefully everything is ok, but I will look them over carefully.

My biggest problem is that this is a two year plus build and I am starting to rush because I am almost there....... I need to slow down.
porschetub
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 6 2016, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 5 2016, 03:31 PM) *

My biggest problem is that this is a two year plus build and I am starting to rush because I am almost there....... I need to slow down.

I had to laugh when I read the above comment,exactly my situation except having a builder on the property has slowed me down...not my choose darn it.
He keeps asking to help ,hold this, cut this, paint this and make him cups of tea,good man really and he loves my 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.