Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinishing Aluminum Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DCJosh
Who has had experience or has a thread refinishing aluminum wheels at home using hand tools?

I was able to pick up a set of Pedrini wheels which have seen better days, but in particular, there appears to be some decent curb rash that I would like to blend into the surrounding aluminum.

I'm sure it can be done and I'm sure I can do it, just need some guidance. Anything is appreciated.

Also, where can I get new and correct wheel lugs and center caps?

DC

Click to view attachment
DCJosh
Click to view attachment
DCJosh
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Before you even start refinishing the wheels it's a good idea to remove the tires and check them to see if they are round and true, side to side. Pedrini's and Mahle's bend easily. 2.0 Fuchs are forged and tend to hold up better.
Optimusglen
Aluminum wheels are pretty easy. Get the tires removed and check the wheels for damage first, would be a shame to put a lot of elbow grease into a wheel and find out it needs a bunch of repair or worse.

If there's any paint or coating use aircraft stripper to remove it, or get them bead blasted. Rash can be taken out with a palm sander, lower grit to start and work your way up. Once your into the higher grits do the entire lip so that it matches all the way around, then start wet sanding. You can go as high as you have patience for, I've done mirror finish on a set of wheels, huge pain though.

Of course, if you're getting them powder coated, or painted, you don't need to go as high, and it's recommended not to go as high, leaving some texture for the paint to bite into.

If you're wanting the bare aluminum finish, I'd recommend doing a clear coat. The more you spend on quality product the better it'll look. 2K clears are best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.