Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Project Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
All,

My restoration is coming along and I have a few things to install that I got from 914 Rubber Wonder if you have any tips for installing these items below.

1- LE Style Vinyl Decals set - is it ok to spray water on side of the car and position the sticker? The water allows one to move it around a bit to position it, and it will dry. I have done boat stickers before like this.

2- Windshield Chrome Replacement Rubber - I'll be installing the windshield soon. Assume this rubber strip attaches to the windshield prior to installation. Do I need to apply any adhesive to ensure this stays stuck to the windshield prior to installing it?

3- Dash pad vinyl with pad - What kind of adhesive to I use to attach this? This kit is in two pieces. Do I glue the pad down first and then glue the vinyl to the pad?

4- Sail and Roll bar vinyl - What kind of adhesive is best to use here?

thanks
arkitect
I found the following for question on the sail panel install, it does not mention the type of adhesive. I have found a good adhesive product at the local Home Depot.

http://www.914world.com/specs/sail_panel_install.php

Dave
mobymutt
QUOTE(orbit398 @ Apr 5 2016, 11:32 AM) *

1- LE Style Vinyl Decals set - is it ok to spray water on side of the car and position the sticker? The water allows one to move it around a bit to position it, and it will dry. I have done boat stickers before like this.

I put mine on last weekend. I held it in place with green painter's tape to make sure it was lined up properly, then just peeled off the backing starting at one end.
mepstein
Eric Shea has a write up on the sail panel instal in the classic section. Worth reading.
iankarr
I just did the dash pad vinyl and top. Came out great. The hardest part is getting all the old glue off the dash frame. On the edge (which needs to have the greatest adhesion), I emery-boarded the glue off. faster and less toxic than chemicals...and my foam was salvageable.

As for the glue, you'll get a lot of opinions on this. Since the edge of the top vinyl MUST stay put in the hot sun (or you'll have to remove the windshield again to repair it), a lot of people like DAP Weldwood contact cement - Landau Top and Trim adhesive. Generally regarded as the strongest glue out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271191027327?...p;ul_noapp=true

Heads up...It's NASTY stuff. You must use a respirator. It bonds instantly. And unfortunately I've never seen a smaller size than 1 gallon available. If you're ever in the NY area, I can give you a pint wink.gif.

If you don't feel like using the DAP and getting higher than a hippie, there's another option...Wurth Sabesto Hi-Temp adhesive. The nice thing about this stuff is that you have a few minutes to reposition the piece if it doesn't go down perfectly the first time. And it's in a spray can. Not sure how it will hold up in the Texas heat, but it seems nearly as strong as the DAP stuff.

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-hi-...y-adhesive.html

As for the installation, you put the foam down first. For the vinyl, I dry-set it into position and made some marks. Then applied cement only to the front edges of the metal dash and vinyl. Once everything tacked up, I got the edges bound and held everything in place with a bunch of clothespins to keep things tight while the cement dried. Some relief cuts were needed around the vent holes to fold the vinyl and tuck it under. Then just apply a line of contact cement towards the front of the dash and pull the vinyl tight, setting it down on the cement.

IMPORTANT TIPs-

When it comes time to install the dash top, definitely protect the new vinyl with a towel or something. The studs from the dash top take a little coaxing to find their way into position and it's super easy for them to scratch the vinyl. Ask me how I know. Also, don't get too aggressive with cutting the holes over the instrument cluster until you have a sense of how the top will sit.

Def PM me if you have any more questions.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.