Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recover Targa Pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I'm getting ready to send the car off for paint and while I have it more or less stripped I'd like to take care of some cosmetics. The roll bar pad is starting to show it's age and had some cracks. Has anyone tried to recover one of these before?

Tom_T
Aaron,

I've heard that some folks have done their Targa/Rollbar interior pads - along with the dash top & knee pads, & A-pillas pads at Just Dashes up in LA (despite the name ;-).

The one guy at one of the PCA Zone 8 Concours last year said he got a good match to the OE vinyl, but had them do everything for a perfect match. Other than that, no personal recco for them - only 2nd hand.

PS - You might also email or PM SoCalAndy on here (may be all lower case) to see if he has any other LA area reccos &/or has used Just Dashes before. He's not on here as much anymore, so you're better off to email/PM. If I see hem at the CAI Concours at College of the Canyons on 4/17 up by Tragic Mountain, I'll try to remember to ask him, but email me a reminder on 4/16 if you're still looking (in case my half-zymers kicks in).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
scotty b
Not cheap, but the best option. Trying to do this yourself is not going to be easy, or go well. Some things are worth paying the price for. Trust me on this

http://www.justdashes.com/2014/12/porsche-...ad-restoration/

http://www.justdashes.com/about-us/
mepstein
It has a steep learning curve.

We had a 930 interior done in leather. $9k from a local place that wasn't even top of the line.
Darren C
Aaron,

I did mine. Repaired and re covered with new vinyl. Real easy to do if you take your time. Watch out for next months update on my build off challenge for full details....

From this...

IPB Image

thru this....

IPB Image

to this...

IPB Image

Regards
Darren

914Sixer
914 Rubber is in the process of making them.
yeahmag
Darren,

This is fantastic! Do you already have a post for your build?

-Aaron

QUOTE(Darren C @ Apr 5 2016, 02:38 PM) *

Aaron,

I did mine. Repaired and re covered with new vinyl. Real easy to do if you take your time. Watch out for next months update on my build off challenge for full details....

Regards
Darren
Darren C
Hi Aaron, you can find it here..

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=247250

My targa pad was really badly beaten up and cracked having been a Desert Hot Spings CA car all it's life. I carefully Undercut the cracks and filled with a plastic flexible filler. The key to success here is to undercut (excavate) them so you create a wider space inside the crack than you see from the top. This stops the filler coming out and gives a good support to the vinyl edges of the split. Basically stops you from being able to press down either side of the crack and re-open it in future. Once this foundation repair has been made I got some vinyl by the metre that was a perfect grain match. The vinyl comes with a webbing on the back (like a fine fishnet). This webbing is designed to add strength and limit the stretch. Perfect if your trimming seats or over soft foam, but on the targa pad its a firm base. The webbing is then your enemy as it limits the stretch of the vinyl. This is where most people fail when trying to trim original vacuum formed parts. If you leave the webbing on, the vinyl won't stretch in and around tight corners crease up and lift in concave surfaces.
The trick here is to cut a piece of vinyl just over size for the job and carefully peel/tear the webbing off the back. What you're left with is a very ply-able vinyl sheet that is much easier to work (with the aid of a hair drier) into tight shapes. BE CAREFUL it does rip real easy with the webbing off which is why a little heat helps.
Best try a few scraps on a test piece first to get the hang of it before jumping in on the targa pad.
All in all it should cost no more than about $30 to do the job. (but plenty of careful time) Once you get used to working the material, using a high temp spray contact adhesive (IN SMALL SECTIONS AT A TIME working along the part) it becomes much easier as you go along.

Good luck, and check out my Build challenge thread over the coming months, I've done the whole interior of my car! :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.