Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark plug wires for a 1.8L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB620
Hey all, I have a 75 1.8L that I need to replace the wires on. I seem to recall the Cap'n (R.I.P... Sure do miss him) recommending Beru but I'm having trouble locating a set. I can find a set of Bosch but the Cap'n wasn't too keen on Bosch wires, does anybody know why? Or have any other suggestions? Or know where I can get my hands on a set of Beru? Thanks in advance.
pete000
I like Clewlett Engineering wires...

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page...products_id=116
ClayPerrine
I use the Accell 8.8 wires. I buy a set for a V-8, and I get two sets for Betty's car.

QUOTE(pete000 @ Apr 5 2016, 06:08 PM) *

If you can afford it- Clewett is the way to go. You get what you pay for scenario.
Larmo63
Clewett
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 7 2016, 03:44 AM) *

Clewett

agree.gif Clewett,really nicely made.
Be aware that solid (copper core) leads won't work with some aftermarket electronic points replacement kits....ask me how I know.
JB620
A big thank you to everybody who sent links and chimed in. Looks like Clewett it is. A couple more newbie non mechanic (but learning) questions
Does this set com with the two longer connectors?
And do I still use the same spark plugs NGK B6ES? When reading about the Clewett wires it described some stuff that I have no idea what it means (EMI/RFI suppression)
Again, thank you all for your patience and willingness to help.
RohJay
QUOTE(JB620 @ Apr 7 2016, 02:43 AM) *

Does this set com with the two longer connectors?
And do I still use the same spark plugs NGK B6ES?

Here you go. the correct set for the 1.8l tinware

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page...products_id=115
JB620
So I finally received my new Clewett wires and they look really well made but I am a little bit confused- no laughing!!!
So... The wires are labeled 1,2,3,4 and are all different lengths. Two of the wires have the longer connectors. Seems simple, right? Well I guess I just assumed that the numbers would represent where they fit. You know, like wires for dummies. And here is my problem, number 1&3 should be the longer connectors but the longer connectors are labeled 2&4. So my question is how do these fit? I don't want to screw this up. I can only assume the longest wire with a large connector goes to #1 (which would be labeled #2 on the wire). Help!!! Click to view attachment
Rand
I wouldn't worry about the labels. You know which two need the longer connectors, you know the longer wires are needed for the different distances. Put them where they make sense. Of course you need to make sure you know what dizzy terminal goes to which cylinder, but the only thing that matters about the wire is how it fits.

Hmm, this is assuming you have the right wire set. Is the combo of connectors and lengths unable to work in this arrangement if you ignore the labels?

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.