Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too much Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Has anyone experienced a condition where the headlights come on when the headlight switch is pulled one notch our for what should be parking lights only. New condition and I cannot seem to figure out why. Nothing new or weird under the fuse panel that I know of?

Jim suggested that it might be the relay on the back of the fuse panel?

Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.

beerchug.gif
76-914
Store your car at least 40 miles from the ocean air. evilgrin.gif Do you have another headlight switch you can throw at it?
r_towle
Try replacing the relays with known good ones.

If the lights pop open, those two relays are good.

Rich
Mike Bellis
There is no relay that turns the headlamp on. Only the hi/lo feature. unless you added one and maybe wired wrong.

If its turning on at one click, either the switch is bad or some terminals are shorted together on the switch.
forrestkhaag
good tips both (or all three) / thanks for the insight / I got the headlight motors and all light functions front and back including fogs and rally lights up front to work / except for the high beams. I know the bulbs are good. I exchanged the switch with another switch and no change to lack of high beams......... \\ maybe a bad relay on the engine bay board / /??

So Mike.: Which relay is the high/low relay if I read your comment correctly? Thanks

and to 76-914: agree.gif We are working on a change of salt air.... it takes time to find the right next move.

beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
"There is a mechanical cam inside the relay. This can jam due to wear or a weak spring. You need a new relay. The internals are not serviceable.
"

And, add a jumper between terminals 30 and 56 on the new relay
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Apr 7 2016, 06:42 PM) *

good tips both (or all three) / thanks for the insight / I got the headlight motors and all light functions front and back including fogs and rally lights up front to work / except for the high beams. I know the bulbs are good. I exchanged the switch with another switch and no change to lack of high beams......... \\ maybe a bad relay on the engine bay board / /??

So Mike.: Which relay is the high/low relay if I read your comment correctly? Thanks

and to 76-914: agree.gif We are working on a change of salt air.... it takes time to find the right next move.

beerchug.gif

Hi/lo relay is on the fuse panel. Red/white stripe wire, white wire, yellow wire and brown with stripe (white or yellow I've seen both types). Square usually silver in color. Red wire comes from headlight switch, yellow and white go to the headlight fuses. brown wire comes from the steering column.
Gunn1
Had the simular deal on my 74', Pull the switch out and both of the headlamps would pop up but no lights high or low.

I neglected to turn them off when I went to the house, came out in 5 minutes and the lights were on. Turned them off and on again to check, everything still working.

Next day tried them again, headlights popped up, but no lights.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.