Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Test Fuel Light?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
I have my gauge cluster out and I'm going to be replacing the idiot lamps with LED's

Seems that the led's need to be oriented in the correct position, or they don't light up. IE the oil pressure lights with ignition on. I noticed that the LED lamp only works if it is oriented in the correct of two positions. IDK - that's what I noticed.

That being the case, I can't just replace them without testing if I have them in the correct position.

I'm trying to light up the fuel warning, but I'm not having much success.

I pulled off the wire harness from the fuel level sensor. Seems there are three wires, ground and two others. I assume that if I ground the thing and jump the other two that should turn the fuel lamp on, but no dice.

Am I missing something or is there another way to light up that warning lamp?

The tank is near full, so don't tell me to empty the tank! smile.gif

Thanks,

Len
pete000
I was able to see mine worked a couple weeks ago, ran low on the fuel and it came on ! cheer.gif
76-914
I don't have the answer but wanted to mention that a couple years back, one of our members had some serious issue that occurred because of the loose fit in those LED dash lights. idea.gif That may not be an issue any longer but I do remember him saying they could be installed incorrectly because they were loose and something burned up. Maybe someone else will chime in. beerchug.gif
r_towle
Ask Timothy.
timothy_nd28
I advise against using LED's for the idiot lights. The incandescents are plenty bright enough for the warning lights. The LED BAY light doesn't draw enough current, which will cause your charging circuit not to work (if you replace your generator lamp with a LED).

If you are still pressing forward with the LEDs, the fuel reserve lamp will have a single black wire and a double red wire with white stripes, if memory serves me correctly. You can simply jump the black wire to chassis ground to get that lamp to illuminate. You could also follow that black wire to the fuel sender unit and ground it there. You could also remove the fuel sender from the tank, and manually move the float by hand to get that lamp to illuminate.
thelogo
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 6 2016, 07:55 PM) *

I advise against using LED's for the idiot lights. The incandescents are plenty bright enough for the warning lights. The LED BAY light doesn't draw enough current, which will cause your charging circuit not to work (if you replace your generator lamp with a LED).

If you are still pressing forward with the LEDs, the fuel reserve lamp will have a single black wire and a double red wire with white stripes, if memory serves me correctly. You can simply jump the black wire to chassis ground to get that lamp to illuminate. You could also follow that black wire to the fuel sender unit and ground it there. You could also remove the fuel sender from the tank, and manually move the float by hand to get that lamp to illuminate.

What fuel low warning light ?

1st month i had this car ,i ran out of gas heading to the gym ,lucky a tow truck was passing by
Gave me some gas

And no light ever

But these cars have so much range a fuel light doesn't seem really needed
Imho ?
TheCabinetmaker
"But these cars have so much range a fuel light doesn't seem really needed"

Hmm, this statement seems kinda silly after you ran out of gas.
lsintampa
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 6 2016, 10:55 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.