Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing new (rebuilt ) front calipers ... Quick question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wyvern
Hello ...
Perhaps silly question of the day ..

I am installing rebuilt Front calipers and they have a "bracket / Keeper" on piston ???
Does this stay in place or is it a shipping / storage thing ?

The piston does have a notch in it and it fits snugly ... I just haven't seen an anti rattle or other device exactly like it ..

https://scontent.fsjc1-3.fna.fbcdn.net/hpho...amp;oe=57807996

Thank you "Oh Wise Ones"

Wyvern
i am going to think I may have answered my own question . I see the caliper rebuild kit come with them ... going to assumes the stay for install

IPB Image
Darren C
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Apr 6 2016, 10:04 PM) *

i am going to think I may have answered my own question . I see the caliper rebuild kit come with them ... going to assumes the stay for install

IPB Image

Yes they stay in place between piston and pad. Make sure you fit them the correct way around. There should be an arrow which relates to the disc rotation when driving forwards. So they are handed between left & right sides of the car.

Also if you've rebuilt the calipers (or some PO has lost or not fitted them in the past) you may need to rotate the pistons to get then to line up and sit correctly.
stugray
Check this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...per_rebuild.htm

IPB Image

It explains how to set the "clocking" of the pistons.
They are kind of a PITA to rotate once they are in, so it is better to get them right as you press them in place.

That article says it is to reduce squeal, but I believe it is really to reduce "pad taper" where the leading edge of the pads usually wear faster.
So this method, (or dual pistons that have smaller leading edge pistons) are supposed to help reduce taper by pushing harder on the trailing edge.
Wyvern
^^^ Thank you VERY much !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.