Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Belt warning delete - how to do ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
Well Project Scarecrow is coming along nicely. One of the early PO's was going to make this into a light weight X Cross car so worked hard to reduce weight where he could. One area was to cut out portions of the wiring harness. Luckily for me better heads prevailed and the car was saved and sat for over 25 years in a barn. No sheet metal was lost and the car is original and rust free. So ...............in the process of bringing the harness back up to original specs I've found that all the connectors associated with the seat belt warning have been cut out. The one connector that remains houses the buzzer along with a number of added jumpers, crimped connected wire I must add. Bare wires are prominent. Started to see if I could collect the needed items to make this whole again but have given up. Is it possible to delete the seat belt warning system from the harness ?? Want a clean delete. A wiring diagram would help if anyone has this.
North Coast Jim
Another pic of Project Scarecrow
JeffBowlsby
Pretty simple really. Just mate the two big yellow wires to effectively bypass the entire seatbelt interlock system. All that system does is interject seat pad switches and a small computer to control it all which disables the ignition circuits when the seatbelts are not mated. You would need to chase each circuit to see if/where it can be wire-ectomied. I know its been done before but is really not necessary.

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 6 2016, 04:03 PM) *

Pretty simple really. Just mate the two big yellow wires to effectively bypass the entire seatbelt interlock system. All that system does is interject seat pad switches and a small computer to control it all which disables the ignition circuits when the seatbelts are not mated. You would need to chase each circuit to see if/where it can be wire-ectomied. I know its been done before but is really not necessary.

Great info, thanks. smile.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 7 2016, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 6 2016, 04:03 PM) *

Great info, thanks. smile.gif

Appears some say not to remove it all as it can cause other issues,seems silly to have a whole bunch of wires doing nothing confused24.gif
boxsterfan
What are the rest of those wires used for?
NS914
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 7 2016, 06:45 PM) *

What are the rest of those wires used for?

I knew about the Yellow wires to be joined but I too would love to be able to get rid of that mess but, I have heard the same thing re getting rid of them can be more problematic than keeping them.

The World definitely has a lot of experience with this and I know we will hear more... ok, I hope we here more...LOL!

Thanks for posting. Grant
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 6 2016, 07:03 PM) *

Jeff thanks again for the reply. Thought you might chime in. I wanted to remove the entire not needed wire bundle once the Yellow wires we jumpered. Thought there might be some history to draw on for their removal. Am I creating a future problem by going down this road.
JeffBowlsby
Yes, do not bother. The few lbs of wire you will cut out is not worth the trouble, will devalue your car, will likely make future troubleshooting difficult and that s only if you do not cut out something really needed and don't know it. Its nothing more than a hack job and there are more productive things to spend your time on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.