Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0L Motor & Transaxle Weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TM_Corey
Probably a complete newbie question, but I plan to remove my motor and transaxle at a buddies shop with the help of his lift. Once out and resting on a tool box (idea from wheeler dealers) or home made cradle, is it possible to move it in and out of a pickup truck bed with 2/3 people or not?

My ideal is to take it back to my place and work on replacing vaccum lines and perishables plus giving it an electric ignition and tune up while the body is at the body shop for repair.

Thanks for the advice.
Mueller
300lb. motor, 75lb. transmission...I wouldn't bet real money on those numbers but I'd bet a lunch!

TheCabinetmaker
You'd win a lunch, I think Mike.

3 people. One on each end of the mount bar and one on the trans. Two people with out the trans. That's assuming they are not 90lb weaklings. I'm 5'6 and 170, and old, and move them with those amount of people of the same size as me.
jd74914
You should be able to put it in a pickup bed with 2-3 people. smile.gif

My brother and I did it together without a problem; he grabbed the engine crossbar and I grabbed the back of the tranny. Three people would be better, it just wasn't too bad for us since he's huge (300#, dead lifts over 550#). laugh.gif
TM_Corey
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 7 2016, 05:35 PM) *

You should be able to put it in a pickup bed with 2-3 people. smile.gif

My brother and I did it together without a problem; he grabbed the engine crossbar and I grabbed the back of the tranny. Three people would be better, it just wasn't too bad for us since he's huge (300#, dead lifts over 550#). laugh.gif

Awesome. Thanks guys.

I'll update my original thread as I progress.
mepstein
Fully dressed engine = 250
Trans 75
325 total.
Done it with 2 people. Easier with 3.
ThePaintedMan
3 is best. Or you can be hard-head like me, separate the engine/trans and power clean them into the truck bed one at a time. I accomplished it once, but wouldn't do it again if I didn't have to - was pretty sore the next day.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 7 2016, 08:58 PM) *

3 is best. Or you can be hard-head like me, separate the engine/trans and power clean them into the truck bed one at a time. I accomplished it once, but wouldn't do it again if I didn't have to - was pretty sore the next day.

Damn George. You as bad as me. I picked up a fully dressed 235 Chevy 6 in my twenties. Doc said it was the worst hernia tear he'd ever seen.

Don't do it by your self.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 7 2016, 10:14 PM) *

Damn George. You as bad as me. I picked up a fully dressed 235 Chevy 6 in my twenties. Doc said it was the worst hernia tear he'd ever seen.

Don't do it by your self.

agree.gif Don't do it by yourself.

And Curt, I think you've got me beat. I'm sure a Chevy 6, being cast iron back then weighs more than the Type 4.

I didn't get a hernia, but I've had a ruptured L4-L5 disc since high school football. I wonder why it never has gotten any better.. headbang.gif
ndfrigi
removed the tranny from the engine and 3 of us lifted the engine to a truck bed.

Click to view attachment
TM_Corey
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 7 2016, 09:26 PM) *

removed the tranny from the engine and 3 of us lifted the engine to a truck bed.

Click to view attachment

You guys are killing me!! I want to abandon my job today and go home and take it out.

But....work and the 30 degree Indiana freezing cold spring is telling me other wise.

Hopefully next week!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.