Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Cable Tube Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
Before I seal up the rear floor pan section to the firewall this weekend I want to repair the driver's side heater cable tube that was damaged during the removal of the old firewall. It appears the DACO dry.gif got a little enthusiastic with the angle grinder in attempting to get the old firewall off and sliced a couple of notches in the end of the cable tube. It would probably still work, but to be safe I'd like to replace a six inch or more section of it as it exits the tunnel and goes through the firewall.

How have people done this? I thought I saw a thread of someone using 5/16" brake tube. Could this be welded or do I have to braze it? I guess I probably need to gently shape/bend it as well, so any advice there is appreciated too.

I think I'm going to have to do something similar with my engine compartment lid release cable tube as well, so I might as well learn to do it right.
cary
Back in the day they were brazed in.

I used thick wall (refrigeration) tubing to recreate the e-brake tubes.
76-914 suggested annealing the old stuff I had that cracked while bending. But the heater tubes are pretty small, you can just about tie them in a knot if need be.
Brake line tubing might be better. But it will be tougher to bend.

I think a fresh tank of MAPP gas will work, but it will take a while.
BeatNavy
So you'd recommend brazing it again? I need to pick up some brazing materials then.

Thanks Cary. Continuing to learn a ton from your thread(s)!
cary
Oops ........... brain was going too fast.

I don't think I would trust my self to try and MIG weld them in. Too much chance of blowing a hole into the tube.

It could probably be done. But that's wayyyy over my paygrade. My neighbor in Montana was a Master Welder, if it could be done he could do it. I watched him weld aluminum pipe with my 90 amp Craftsmen MIG.
Jeff Hail
The tubing I used to make a few sets was McMaster #89955K24
4130 .313 OD , .049 wall thickness. $20.26 for 6 feet.

or send me $15 and I will send you back a set already flared, welded with the correct cross over. All you have to do is install them and make the bends at the exit of the firewall.

Yes - you can mig these if you stuff a piece of copper wire inside the tubing.

Jeff
cary
Doesn't get any better than that.

Love the copper wire technique. Thanks for passing on your years of experience.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(cary @ Apr 8 2016, 11:13 PM) *

Doesn't get any better than that.

Love the copper wire technique. Thanks for passing on your years of experience.

agree.gif

Jeff, that's awesome. Thanks for the offer. I'll send you a PM.

The World comes through again...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.