Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I haved bought a 914 which was a 2.0 model from the factory but the engine is not with the car. In the UK these engines are like rocking horse doo doo! There are however late type 2 bay camper engines available.

Does anyone know if these late bay type 4 motors fit the porsche gearbox? Also if i buy a 1.7 or 1.8 what is involved in rebuilding it up to a 2.0? For example is it a case of new pistons and cylinders with a bore out of the head for the bigger piston or are there fundamental crank case internals that need attention also?

Thanks in advance for gratefully received advice.
Tom_T
Yes, but ..... IMHO - I'd look for the rocking horse doo-doo in either the 73-74 or 75-76 ROW Gx version to rebuild (same MY as your 914), which can be built up to more cc's & HP/TQ than the 1.7 or 1.8 (1911 cc is the usual upbuild on those).

The late Bus 2L T4 motor will fit & work, but your 914-2.0 will be worth more with a correct motor in it, as well as performing better in stock or upbuilt format (2056 - 2300+ cc). Porsche Racing genius Mezger worked his magic on the Type IV /4 to raise it from 1.7 to 2.0 (& more) - back when VW said 1.8 was the max. possible - so why not take advantage of the race engineering expertise!?

If you're in a hurry to have your 914 running & the wait for a "real" 914 2.0 - then you can find a running VW based Type IV from the Bay Window Bus, 411, 412 & bolt it in for the time being, but the engine tins won't transfer over from the VWs - so you'll need to find the 914 ones.

Then just keep a lookout for the VW-P 914 2.0 .... or order one built the way you want it from the USA (McMark/Original Customs & Tangerine Racing on here, FAT Perfomance in Orange CA, Raby in Cleveland GA, etc.), or from one of the Porsche/914 shops on the continent. Or if you're into building your own, get the engine & parts here in the USA where they're more plentiful.

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
BeatNavy
QUOTE(JFG @ Apr 8 2016, 12:48 PM) *

Also if i buy a 1.7 or 1.8 what is involved in rebuilding it up to a 2.0? For example is it a case of new pistons and cylinders with a bore out of the head for the bigger piston or are there fundamental crank case internals that need attention also?

There is a ton of great information from Jake Raby in Post #2 of this thread that may help answer that question:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1529209

As Jake points out in that thread, bus engines have had a hard life pushing all that weight around. If you can, do as Tom says above and patiently search for a type IV that can be built the way you want it.

And.... welcome.png

SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 8 2016, 10:24 AM) *
The late Bus 2L T4 motor will fit & work

Please, don't ... barf.gif

Bus motors are designed to haul around 5000 pounds of metal at low speed and rpm. A bus motor in a 914 will give you plenty of torque up to 3k rpm and then fall flat on its nose.
You'll be hating every minute of driving.
shades.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(JFG @ Apr 9 2016, 05:48 AM) *

I haved bought a 914 which was a 2.0 model from the factory but the engine is not with the car. In the UK these engines are like rocking horse doo doo! There are however late type 2 bay camper engines available.

Does anyone know if these late bay type 4 motors fit the porsche gearbox? Also if i buy a 1.7 or 1.8 what is involved in rebuilding it up to a 2.0? For example is it a case of new pistons and cylinders with a bore out of the head for the bigger piston or are there fundamental crank case internals that need attention also?

Thanks in advance for gratefully received advice.

Really sounds like you have little option but go for a bus engine,you could look @ the last of the 2.0 EFI motors before the waterboxer,get hold of a set of 2.0 heads from a 914,change to 914 engine tin,fit a good performance exhaust and you will have reasonable power.
The bus motors you could buy won't have smog gear on them like the USA has.
Do you have a set of 914 heat exchangers ? would say you would need them in Wales.
JFG
All great advice. Some research found that the bus engines produce 70 hp, when new! but, as said, after all these years it would be a lot less and physically weakened. So i'll leave them alone.

The raby info is superb. If i had the funds, and 12 months to wait, i would have one of the favoured 2270 sr units.

Now i need to find a 1.7, this may be easier than the 2.0, and then carry out the changes needed. I might actually be able to afford this!

Heat exchangers are a must in Wales, even at the height of our so called summer!

Time to go search for a 1.7 motor.

Thanks for the info
nathansnathan
The big problem that I see with the swapping 2L 914 motor for a 2L bus, or any of the 1.7, 1.8 motors is the different sparkplug angle and the different engine tin. Also that the FI or carbs would already be set up for 2L displacement.

If you could rebuild the 3 stud 2L heads or get the new amc castings with new hardware from Len Hoffman, and put those on a bus 2L, you should have the same thing pretty much as a 914 2L, correct me if I am wrong.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 8 2016, 01:34 PM) *

The big problem that I see with the swapping 2L 914 motor for a 2L bus, or any of the 1.7, 1.8 motors is the different sparkplug angle and the different engine tin. Also that the FI or carbs would already be set up for 2L displacement.

If you could rebuild the 3 stud 2L heads or get the new amc castings with new hardware from Len Hoffman, and put those on a bus 2L, you should have the same thing pretty much as a 914 2L, correct me if I am wrong.

If you slap 914 2.0L heads on a bus engine you will still have the crappy hydro cam/lifters that poop out at 4000rpms plus the 7.3 to 1 CR or lower with the bigger combustion chamber.

I suppose I could ship you this 914 2.0L engine I have laying around complete with Djet. What will you pay for it?
nathansnathan
Ah yeah, I forgot about the hydraulic lifters and the hydraulic cam. Wouldn't CR be taken care of by the heads or are the pistons different?
76-914
Is the shipping cost for a 2.0 excessive? Check McMarks right up of the Turbo 1.7 he is running. It's a quick little shit, pulls strongly, gets great gas mileage and will blow the doors off a stock 2.0. I've got to go to Wales and meet my relatives, one day.
JFG
Following the info provided i left the bus engine alone and have just bought a 1.7 FI.

I'd read the raby write up of what is invovled in changing up to a 2 litre motor and it seems quite straight forward so this is a possible route.

Someone mention a 1.7 running a turbo. I had this very same thought on the way home but having no experience of the type 4 motor i don't know how this is done.

Does anyone have a link to the fore mentioned turbo car?
EdwardBlume
If you have a real 2.0 chassis, find a real 2.0 motor for it. People have spares.

welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(JFG @ Apr 10 2016, 02:27 PM) *
Someone mention a 1.7 running a turbo. I had this very same thought on the way home but having no experience of the type 4 motor i don't know how this is done.

Does anyone have a link to the fore mentioned turbo car?

Send McMark a PM, he has build a very nice turbo 1.7L setup ...
driving.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 9 2016, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 8 2016, 01:34 PM) *

If you slap 914 2.0L heads on a bus engine you will still have the crappy hydro cam/lifters that poop out at 4000rpms plus the 7.3 to 1 CR or lower with the bigger combustion chamber.

I suppose I could ship you this 914 2.0L engine I have laying around complete with Djet. What will you pay for it?

My reply was based on engines suitable to the OP in his country ,research the euro spec motors they aren't the same as the smog mandated engines of the US.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 10 2016, 01:31 PM) *

If you have a real 2.0 chassis, find a real 2.0 motor for it. People have spares.

welcome.png

I just got one from Germany, a 2.0 GB European motor in need of a rebuild. It wasn't cheap, they are hard to find and the price is increasing.

You can look here . I know someone in Germany who can probably help if you are intrested

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.