Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4bolt Fuchs finish?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william1764
Having Fuchs refinished next week. What would be consistent with correct factory finish? The wheels are in great shape however pitted smooth petals. The textured areas just have some some staining. Below is recommendation from wheel refinisher. I don't believe "two tone" was factory on 4 bolt. I sort of like the idea though. Thoughts/pics?

"It looks like the polished petals have no clear coat on them. If that is the case we may be able to simply polish the aluminum back to a shine. If they are clearcoated then they would need a full strip, full polish... Then the silver or textured areas would have to be addressed. It's really hard to tell until we have one in our grasp. Either way you will be somewhere between $500-1000. A full strip and two tone job with a satin clear would be my choice. They will have a vintage look and last forever."
rhodyguy
500 to 1k for all 4? Quite the quote swing! If you have to ship, r/t dependent where they are going will prob start around $160+ FedEx. Spring for more than the standard insurance included in the shipping.
Cal
Factory Fuchs were clear anodized....the original anodizing is difficult to remove but should be done to properly refinish the wheels. Here are photos of my spare wheel that shows what an original unrestored Fuch should look like.

You could have Rick Hartbrodt restore them.....he does excellent wheel refinishing and is very reasonably priced at $200.00 per wheel. The turn around time is better than Harvey Weidman or Al Reed also....

http://www.porschewheelservices.com
rhodyguy
$200 per is a VERY attractive price for the service. The quick turn around time certainly a bonus.
Tom_T
The guy quoting you obviously knows absolutely nothing about those wheels, so run - don't walk - if you want them restored correctly. Don't waste any more of your time & no money there!

I don't know Rick Hartbrodt nor if he's closer to you (Cal's wheel above looks correct & excellent in the pix) - but both Harvey Weidman in Oroville CA & Al Reed in Anaheim can do a proper clear anodized OEM finish with shiny petals/rim & matte/pebble background resto on them, & the last I heard they were about $140-200 per wheel too, depending on what shape they're in.

If you're doing a DD resto & willing to do them yourself - there are topics on here by members who've done the ole Easy Off oven cleaner strip the anodizing & polish them. You'll have to polish & wax them annually of every 6 months, but don't clear coat them IMHO. Try searching the Garage Forum for Fuchs polishing threads.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Larmo63
Cal's spare wheel is what you are shooting for. That wheel looks perfect in my opinion.

I wouldn't do the black background, but that's just my taste.
william1764
Yup - that's what I'm looking for Cal. Thanks for the help all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.