Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: What would you put an R6 engine in?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I picked up a Yamaha R6 for a song. It was wrecked, but mostly cosmetic. I'm either going to get it working again as a naked bike for starters, or use the power train for something completely different.

If you were going to have fun with a tidy and compact 100hp powerplant with a sequential transmission, what would you do?

Already evaluating the bike option. But what else... Kart? What other car options would you consider? Just for fun, not trying to fit into a racing class or be street legal. Someone suggested a Legends car, but I'm thinking something lighter and lower.

If you wanted something bigger than a shifter kart but yet as low and light as possible, what ideas would you throw out?

Let's have fun with this.

effutuo101
Hi Rand! How is Reno?
You know, there is a place right down the road from you that absolutely would be a blast. You should build a salt racer out of that package. Maybe a low slung trike?
smile.gif
Rand
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Apr 8 2016, 10:51 PM) *

Hi Rand! How is Reno?
You know, there is a place right down the road from you that absolutely would be a blast. You should build a salt racer out of that package. Maybe a low slung trike?
smile.gif

Hey Chris! I miss Reno/Tahoe, but I split the difference and am in Oregon now.

A low slung trike could be crazy fun... have you see the drifter trikes? Bam, maybe that's it!
Rand
Like what these dorks did, but with 10x the horsepower and a build to match?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiiSsTwLDds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiiSsTwLDds
Rand
I'd love an offroad option. Hmm. Holy wow, looking at old Honda Odyssey (no, not the minivan).... They are bringing big bucks! Insane!
DBCooper
You can get aftermarket plastics for those bikes with decals already in place to look like your favorite MotoGP team. I did exactly that with an R6 ten years ago, but once fixed I realized no torque was no fun so I sold it. Maybe keep that in mind when you think about offroad. You say it's just cosmetic, and plastics fixes the cosmetic.

If you want a non-motorcycle idea one of the coolest hippie race teams I ever saw was Rubber Chicken Racing at Laguna Seca in the late 60's. They ran a little sports racer, a Lotus 11 or 23 type but not a Lotus, with a Saab 3 cylinder two-stroke engine and expansion chambers on each cylinder. It was loud and fast and fun to watch. Not suggesting to track it but a sports racer or a Formula V with 100 hp would make a pretty fun autocross car.

914forme
Build your own version , kinda like the Ariel Nomad! Or Odyssey, used to have one of them, killer amount of fun.

Click to view attachment

Nomad in action
Andyrew
It would be fun in a buggy or kart, but obviously not a car.

My dad has a GSXR 750 built into a little buggy.. Sadly the engine is very weak but its still fun nonetheless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.