Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sorta OT. Subaru 2.5 spark plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
CEL came on in the 97' legacy outback. Scan revealed misfire on #4 so I'll start with plugs. No idea when last replaced. Looking around it seems #4 is a pain to replace. Any tips? Hope it's not a plug wire or coil pack. Are the packs one fits anywhere? I have a almost complete donor car I bought due to a mishap with the rear pass door and a garage door opening.
Iwist is a Subi site, I'm sure they will have better responses than a 914 site.
matthepcat
Here is a write up with pictures(granted on a more modern model)

http://www.legacygt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1842
ThePaintedMan
That's a good writeup. It's a bitch but can be done. I'm not as familiar with the Legacy, but on other models of that vintage, there is access via the wheel well area. Jack the car up, remove the wheels and look for the plastic plugs that provide access to the spark plugs.
rhodyguy
Wow. "Allow a full 2 hours". I'd hate to be paying a 'book rate' shop for a tune up. Those iridium plugs don't come cheap. Thanks for the link! I didn't want to join a new forum to ask a spark plug question.
Chris H.
Kev,

Not much out there on youtube but it looks like this guy just uses a VERY long extension. Start at about the 5 minute mark. He is diagnosing a hesitation problem but you can see him removing the plugs. Looks like OEM NGK plugs are the ONLY way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsGTeWayqIU

rhodyguy
Thing is it really doesn't run any different than before the light. From day one it smelled rich on cold startup but it went away quickly. I prob get 22 around town and near 30 mpg on the freeway. Seems reasonable as the wagon is a good sized car. You wouldn't believe the stuff I've carried WITH it. Maintenance time. It's been a good car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.