Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First time looking at a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
iwanta914-6
As you may or may not have read in my thread about searching for a 914, I'll be looking at one tomorrow (Sunday).

This will be the first time I've actually put my eyes (and hands) on one. I'll obviously inspect critical areas like the hell hole and Longs (as best I can since the rockers will be on).

Any tips? I'm mostly concerned about rust. Even though I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to mechanical repairs, I think (with the help of 914world) I can work through most of that.

If anyone in the twin cities area that knows what to look for wants to assist me tomorrow afternoon, PM me. I would be glad to pay a small fee for your time. (seller is in Cottage Grove)

Here's what I know about the car from the seller:

1974 Porsche 914 2 liter. Black, less than 80,000
original miles, appearance group, Fuchs alloys, 5
speed, original fuel injection, pristine interior, collector
plates. Never in accident, never smoked in. Always
garaged. Same owner for 31 years.

Needs new fuel pump bracket and fuel lines, thus
not drivable at this time; radio also not working.
Been sitting for about 3 years so tires are flat, and
would need replacing about now anyway.

Now I know that the wheels are not Fuchs, they're mahles.
SirAndy
Black '74 with Mahle wheels? Color me intrigued. Look for yellow paint ...
popcorn[1].gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2016, 12:06 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I'm almost certain it could be a bumblebee. No sail vinyl, appears to have the LE front spoiler, painted bumpers with fogs.

There are a couple of photos in my other thread.
MikeM
Check Jeff Bowlsby's website,he details all the different things the LE's came with.
Example, the headlight motor covers are grey, not black.
Mike
KELTY360
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 9 2016, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2016, 12:06 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I'm almost certain it could be a bumblebee. No sail vinyl, appears to have the LE front spoiler, painted bumpers with fogs.

There are a couple of photos in my other thread.

It also looked to have black trim on the targa bar which is a good sign.

Even with the rockers on you can feel up under there at the ends and along the length to get an idea if there is rot. Check the bottom corners of the windshield frame and the cowl. Check the 'foam' areas: top of rear fenders by taillights, top of fender at door latch. Check corners of door sills. Bubbles in any of those spots means more is hidden. Check trunk floor below the taillights. Check the firewall in the engine bay; is the insulation pad still there? any sign of rust or saturation with water? Is the rear window solidly in place?

If it's always been garaged for the last 31 years and has only 80k miles, it was probably a dry weather driver. Who knows what it's first 11 years were like. The evidence you have so far points to a pretty solid car, but you never know til you get eyes on it.

Have you got all you ducks in a row if it turns out to be what you're looking for?
KELTY360
Also, on your first walkaround, look at all body gaps at the trunks and doors. When you open the front trunk, look at the brace below the headlight buckets and the inner wheel arch for deformations. It can tip you off if it's had front end damage.

Be sure to have a good flashlight with fresh batteries.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 9 2016, 01:29 PM) *

Have you got all you ducks in a row if it turns out to be what you're looking for?

I didn't transfer funds into an account that I can draw from until yesterday afternoon so it won't be available until Monday. Since the car isn't advertised yet I think the seller will work with me on that. I still have to figure out transport. I may just look into how much a flatbed tow would cost since it's about 60 miles.

Thanks for all of the info!
KELTY360
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 9 2016, 11:46 AM) *

I may just look into how much a flatbed tow would cost since it's about 60 miles.

If you're not a AAA member now, you'll want to be if you buy a 914. Buy the premium plus membership and it will cover your flatbed bill and still leave you with a rescue angel as you get the car sorted out.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 9 2016, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 9 2016, 11:46 AM) *

I may just look into how much a flatbed tow would cost since it's about 60 miles.

If you're not a AAA member now, you'll want to be if you buy a 914. Buy the premium plus membership and it will cover your flatbed bill and still leave you with a rescue angel as you get the car sorted out.

Thanks, I just signed up. I figured even if I don't get the car, it doesn't hurt to have AAA for the next year.
Elliot Cannon
Your 914 tool kit. biggrin.gif I would want to see under the rocker panels. At least one side. If you remove the screws underneath, you can pull the panels out a bit and get a peak underneath. Maybe get a bit of a look at the jack posts.
somd914
A few other things to keep in mind:

1) As the old saying goes, you can only see 10% of the rust, i.e. it is always more extensive than you think. Hopefully you'll be OK.

2) Been sitting for three years, so brakes are possibly locked up.

3) As advertised, the engine is not running. That is always a questionable proposition, especially with rebuilds running north of $6k. Keep that in mind when negotiating.

4) I imagine the battery will be dead. Put a battery in and power the car up, then check all the electrical systems including all the lights (don't forget brake and turn signals), fresh and heat fans, and windshield wipers. Also check to see that the engine will crank.

5) Take a floor jack and jack stands, then take a good look underneath for rust, oil leaks, etc. if the owner will allow it.

6) Pull the carpets and inspect the floor pan - pedal box area wrapping up to the master cylinder has a tendency to collect moisture and rust as it is a recessed area. Replacement panels are not available for this area, which means custom fabrication or donor vehicle. For me, the floor pan has never been touched except for this area.

7) Take lots of photos to refresh your memory...

Shadowfax
I used this guide when I first looked at mine: Pelican 914 buyers guide. Also brought a pick - a screwdriver will work too - to poke around the weak areas.
Good luck with your search. Oh yeah sorry if I missed it but welcome.png

Edit: Saw that you joined in 2009. Welcome anyway smile.gif
Larmo63
From the photos you posted, it looks like a pretty nice car but looks can be deceiving. I wish you all the best luck in buying this car and that it is a solid car for you!

If you DO end up buying it, officially….. welcome.png For reals!!!!!!!!!!
Cairo94507
Don't forget a good flashlight. If you have a small light weight floor jack I would take that with you in addition to a scribe or screw driver to poke around under the car to check for rust. Re4member, if your phone takes good photos you can always slip it into tough to see spots and take some pictures. Good luck.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 9 2016, 12:59 PM) *

Your 914 tool kit. biggrin.gif I would want to see under the rocker panels. At least one side. If you remove the screws underneath, you can pull the panels out a bit and get a peak underneath. Maybe get a bit of a look at the jack posts.

That tool kit needs a credit card too.
iankarr
agree.gif

AAA card, cellphone and CC. As the fever deepens you'll become great friends with your fedex/ups/postman as the daily boxes start to arrive.

Another few things to check:

– In the passenger side of the rear trunk, just in front of the taillight area, look for VIN numbers stamped in the sheet metal. If it's missing, it could be a sign of a previous hit...or restoration. Look closely or maybe take a tracing as rust and paint can fill the numbers in.

– Also in the rear trunk, check the seam where the trunk floor meets the vertical piece in the back. Shine a powerful flashlight from the outside and see if any light gets through.

Great that you joined AAA. They saved my butt several times. And the platinum level gets you towed up to 200 miles I believe. You also get a boatload of great discounts on everything from restaurants to hotel rooms as a member.
iwanta914-6
It appears that Jeff Bowlsby put together a 914 assessment form. This might come in handy.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf
Cal
Looks like a nice car.....please take lots of photos and post them.
Jason74914
QUOTE(Cal @ Apr 10 2016, 05:14 AM) *

Looks like a nice car.....please take lots of photos and post them.

You guys talking about AAA, need to get Hagerty classic car insurance. It is super cheap if you're car is not a daily driver, offers stated value replacement if stolen, and comes with free flatbed towing. Been using them for years and they are great.
iwanta914-6
Well, after all of that, this one is not coming home with me. The last 3 or so years since it was parked have not been good to it. While it maybe was stored inside for the majority of the 31 years she owned it, it's been outside since it was parked.

Because I knew right away when I saw it that this one was not for me, I did not fully inspect it. With the flat tires and sinking into the dirt, I didn't even bother to try to get a look underneath, I have a feeling it was not good. The VIN was far too early to be a Bumblebee and she mentioned that she bought the wheels to replace the steel wheels/hubcaps that it had. It does have the center console but it seems at some point someone tried to mimic the LE style.

It was a leaking fuel line that forced her to park it. She wants someone to put the car back on the road and enjoy it, she won't let someone part it out. I feel like I should try to help her sell it, but it's not something I have experience with. She doesn't know how to post ads on Craigslist and she's nervous about random people coming to her home to look at it.

This car can be saved, but it's going to take more time and money than I have. The car didn't even have a battery but it did in fact still had the original FI. She said it ran well prior to parking it, but whoever buys it will probably have to expect the worst.

Oh well, it was at least a good experience and the seller was a really nice lady. I could tell she loved the car and it will be emotional for her to let it go when that time comes.

The biggest challenge for me will be finding one locally that is solid and within my price range.

So, the search continues...
Gunn1
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 10 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Well, after all of that, this one is not coming home with me. The last 3 or so years since it was parked have not been good to it. While it maybe was stored inside for the majority of the 31 years she owned it, it's been outside since it was parked.

Because I knew right away when I saw it that this one was not for me, I did not fully inspect it. With the flat tires and sinking into the dirt, I didn't even bother to try to get a look underneath, I have a feeling it was not good. The VIN was far too early to be a Bumblebee and she mentioned that she bought the wheels to replace the steel wheels/hubcaps that it had. It does have the center console but it seems at some point someone tried to mimic the LE style.

It was a leaking fuel line that forced her to park it. She wants someone to put the car back on the road and enjoy it, she won't let someone part it out. I feel like I should try to help her sell it, but it's not something I have experience with. She doesn't know how to post ads on Craigslist and she's nervous about random people coming to her home to look at it.

This car can be saved, but it's going to take more time and money than I have. The car didn't even have a battery but it did in fact still had the original FI. She said it ran well prior to parking it, but whoever buys it will probably have to expect the worst.

Oh well, it was at least a good experience and the seller was a really nice lady. I could tell she loved the car and it will be emotional for her to let it go when that time comes.

The biggest challenge for me will be finding one locally that is solid and within my price range.

So, the search continues...

Iwanta.....So spill the beans on contact and location....If you are sure you are not interested maybe someone else is.
rhodyguy
What the hell does she care about someone putting back on the road and not parting out? If it was that important she could have done that. Not Buying it may be for the best in the long run and you practiced the best rule when buying a first 914. Listen to your gut feeling and avoid the impulse, gotta have one now, buy. Your car is out there someplace and you'll find it eventually.
Gunn1
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 10 2016, 06:47 PM) *

What the hell does she care about someone putting back on the road and not parting out? If it was that important she could have done that. Not Buying it may be for the best in the long run and you practiced the best rule when buying a first 914. Listen to your gut feeling and avoid the impulse, gotta have one now, buy. Your car is out there someplace and you'll find it eventually.

She cares, because unlike some of us she has a emotional connection to her car. Sometimes Owners have a history with their vehicle. Maybe her late husband owned it. Maybe someone she trusts told her not to part it out. There could be all sorts of reasons. I am not saying they are or are not Valid ones, but it is her car and until she sells it, it is up to her what she does with it.

Amphicar770
Sounds like walking away was the right decision.

While finding something in one's price range is always a challenge, remember the adage to buy the very best one you can afford. Bringing an old beater up to snuff will almost always prove far more costly than buying one already sorted out. Parts prices are rather high on the 914 and some parts are hard to find. If you then have to pay someone to do mechanical or body work it adds up really fast.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 10 2016, 06:09 PM) *

She cares, because unlike some of us she has a emotional connection to her car. Sometimes Owners have a history with their vehicle. Maybe her late husband owned it. Maybe someone she trusts told her not to part it out. There could be all sorts of reasons. I am not saying they are or are not Valid ones, but it is her car and until she sells it, it is up to her what she does with it.

When I bought mine a couple weeks ago I thought the original owner was going to break out in tears. This car was after the last hurrah of his youth. The last toy that he didn't need to consider the consequences or "ask permission" to buy.

Since buying it he has gotten married, had kids and had grandkids. He went from a twenty year old hell raiser to a grandpa in it.

The first stop when I finish it will be to pick him up and take him to lunch.
TM_Corey
Funny story about picking my car up. When I was going through it to see what was in the glove box etc, I found a really nice vintage silk scarf. Something you just imagine a woman wearing in it in the 1970's while the top was off. I said to the owner "Here, your wife may want to keep this for old times sake " He quickly stuffed it in his pocket and laughed. His next words...."Except I don't think it's hers"
rhodyguy
I get that she cares. I get that she might have an emotional attachment. But not so strong as she's willing to sell it, but not so willing to save it from sinking into the ground and turning into...A PARTS CAR.

To me, if someone is selling a car, I give them money and get the title, they don't get to dictate the terms. Period. No matter what the cost. No matter what the time involved will be. Sounds as though you HAVE to give your WORD (either outright or implied) you will do what it takes to bring that car back. PERIOD! No matter the money or the time or the effort required. Unreasonable. Unrealistic.

Btw. What was the asking $?
KELTY360
Well, now you've set eyes on a 914 for the first time. You're one car closer to the right one.
Gunn1
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 10 2016, 07:44 PM) *

I get that she cares. I get that she might have an emotional attachment. But not so strong as she's willing to sell it, but not so willing to save it from sinking into the ground and turning into...A PARTS CAR.

To me, if someone is selling a car, I give them money and get the title, they don't get to dictate the terms. Period. No matter what the cost. No matter what the time involved will be. Sounds as though you HAVE to give your WORD (either outright or implied) you will do what it takes to bring that car back. PERIOD! No matter the money or the time or the effort required. Unreasonable. Unrealistic.

Btw. What was the asking $?

Now that you put it in Caps, it all makes perfect sense!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Apr 10 2016, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 10 2016, 06:09 PM) *

When I bought mine a couple weeks ago I thought the original owner was going to break out in tears. This car was after the last hurrah of his youth. The last toy that he didn't need to consider the consequences or "ask permission" to buy.

Since buying it he has gotten married, had kids and had grandkids. He went from a twenty year old hell raiser to a grandpa in it.

The first stop when I finish it will be to pick him up and take him to lunch.

This story sound like the same as the 72 I bought a few years ago. The owner bought the 72 new and in 73 joined the Air Force and was stationed in England. He had the car shipped over and spent 73-77 there. While there it had a fender bender in the right rear that was repaired badly. Once back home he drove it until the plates expired in 82 and parked it in the out building along with a 70 that he bought in 81 to be a parts car for his 72. The cars hadn't seen the light of day until I spent over an hour helping him moved all the crap stored around it. It was so full of walnut shells and mouse crap icon8.gif I thought he was going to cry when I loaded it on the trailer. Felt kind of bad for him, but then again he did let it set in a outbuilding for 31yrs and never once checked on it. confused24.gif

iwanta914-6
If you really need to know why she parked the car instead of fixing it, it's because she had health issues and could not fix the car. Now she has to sell the car because of her ailing health. He son's didn't want the car which I thought was sad. I felt bad for her and I hope whoever does buy the car brings it back to life for her.
rhodyguy
Sad story. I hope she makes out ok.

It was'nt ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS. I'm glad you got my point. No doubt your empathy for the seller of those 2 cars lessened a bit after you got the second one home.
Larmo63
I'll never understand how someone can/could take a beautiful car such as an old Porsche and just let it deteriorate in storage somewhere. We've all seen 911s and Speedsters that were pulled out of storage too, hell even Gullwing Mercedes Benzes.

I just don't get it.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 10 2016, 08:13 PM) *

I'll never understand how someone can/could take a beautiful car such as an old Porsche and just let it deteriorate in storage somewhere. We've all seen 911s and Speedsters that were pulled out of storage too, hell even Gullwing vMercedes Benzes.

I just don't get it.

I think for a lot of people life got in the way and they have dreams of "one day" I will fix it up and enjoy it again. I have a cousin that bought a 58 MGA project car just after high school in 78. It is now 2016 and I have helped him move it to three different homes. He is 56 now and still has dreams of "one day" restoring it. confused24.gif
Chris914n6
I bought my current car with flat tires, spider webs, a broken door handle, dead battery, barely running and battery tray cancer... everything easy to fix. At 40 years old some elbow grease is expected unless you pay the $$$$$ for restored.

Something to ponder... I get $50/hr fixing cars on the side because I bought that 914 20 years ago and learned to fix it.

For future hunting think about getting a few things first.
Jump starter
12v air compressor
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 10 2016, 08:25 PM) *

Jump starter
12v air compressor

For sure!
somd914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 10 2016, 09:13 PM) *

I'll never understand how someone can/could take a beautiful car such as an old Porsche and just let it deteriorate in storage somewhere. We've all seen 911s and Speedsters that were pulled out of storage too, hell even Gullwing vMercedes Benzes.

I just don't get it.

I used to think the same thing. Now I look at our 31 foot sailboat riding in her slip in need of TLC and routine maintenance. Once she was extremely well maintained in respect to seaworthiness and cosmetics. She was sailed upwards of 1,000 miles a season. Our kids grew up on her both cruising and racing. Then our sons became teenagers and rekindled my car interest (and my wife's), careers became more time consuming, a dream home fell into our laps recently, etc. Time to sell her, but difficult to come to grips with that - so many great memories. Maybe life will swing back to sailing... Probably not anytime soon, time to sell...
Gunn1
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 10 2016, 08:12 PM) *

Sad story. I hope she makes out ok.

It was'nt ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS. I'm glad you got my point. No doubt your empathy for the seller of those 2 cars lessened a bit after you got the second one home.

Pure sarcasm with the caps thing, as all the stories fore mentioned of folks and their attachments to their cars have attested to.
Don't know what you mean by the multiple car thing.
I only have one 914 and the young guy I bought it from was sad to see it go.

Notice no caps loc needed type.gif
DCJosh
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 10 2016, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 10 2016, 08:25 PM) *

Jump starter
12v air compressor

For sure!

This is what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J5C09-Starte...+air+compressor
Cairo94507
This would have been a great car to take some photos of and pass along information about the car. There are a lot of people here looking for a car to return to the road.

I got my Six in a similar manner when the seller was not willing to negotiate on price with a member here and when our member realized they were not going to be able to put a deal together passed the info on to our members hoping one of us would buy and love the car.

I was fortunate enough to contact the owner, go see and drive the car and after about a month of negotiations, arrive at a price we were both satisfied with. I still did not believe the deal would come together until I handed him a stack of cash and it was on the flatbed headed home with me.

I feel sorry for this owner who Iwanta914-6 met and spoke with and hope somehow the word gets out and a true Porsche lover gets her car and enjoys it. No flippers please.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 10 2016, 10:21 PM) *

This would have been a great car to take some photos of and pass along information about the car. There are a lot of people here looking for a car to return to the road.

I do regret not taking photos. My wife has been sick all weekend so my kids were with me making things a little more difficult.
Bulldog9
The guy I got my 912 from had 4-5 cars sitting and rotting, to include my car and a 63 Lotus Esprit. All uncovered................. I've moved away, but plan to visit him this summer and try to get the Lotus off him.
KELTY360
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 10 2016, 08:49 PM) *

I do regret not taking photos. My wife has been sick all weekend so my kids were with me making things a little more difficult.

Why not contact her and ask if you can pass on her info to 914World members. Since she doesn't want to advertise on CL this might be a way to help her out.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 10 2016, 11:29 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 10 2016, 08:49 PM) *

Why not contact her and ask if you can pass on her info to 914World members. Since she doesn't want to advertise on CL this might be a way to help her out.

Already doing that for those that have asked via PM.

Edit:
Actually what I am doing is passing along a few members' contact info to her, I will not give her contact info out.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(DCJosh @ Apr 10 2016, 07:24 PM) *

After reading feedback that the air compressors are generally junk, I went with the cheap HF one and this one for my BBC. Extra $4 for a 2 year Walmart warranty piratenanner.gif Took a few days to realize only half the clamp is hot headbang.gif

Side note: My 914 sat for a decade by accident. Got too busy to fix the little things that added up because I went back to school. Graduated in a recession and got a crap paying job. Took this long for everything to get to a point it was a good use of time and money. Even still it's being funded by side jobs because I'm over 40 and have other major expenses on the horizon.
iwanta914-6
For those wondering, she's hoping to get about $4,000 for the car. Since I did not give it a full look, I cannot say how bad the rust is. Obviously the battery tray was rusted out and while I tried to get a view of the hell hole with a flash light, I couldn't see much of anything. The seals in the rear trunk must not be sealing well as when I picked up the carpet/mat to get a look underneath, it was wet, and of course rust.

I'm sure others with the time, money, and experience could do wonders with this car. Who knows, it may be more solid than I think it is and someone might find it a perfect car for a restoration.

As for me and my search, I don't want everyone to think I'm not willing to get dirty and put some elbow grease into a 914. I'm willing, and I will have to be since the cars in my price range will all need some work. I just cannot withstand anything with potentially terminal rust issues.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 11 2016, 10:51 AM) *
I just cannot withstand anything with potentially terminal rust issues.

I think you just described most 914's.

Sorry to hear about that car you looked at, saw your post about going to check it out but my weekend was packed.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 11 2016, 11:33 AM) *

Especially here in Minnesota.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 11 2016, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 11 2016, 11:33 AM) *

Especially here in Minnesota.

Indiana is no better. My car was a daily driver for 6 years (1974-1980) and then spent the rest of its life in a heated garage with a cover on it and its still rusty.
NeunEinVier
Good to have one of those "bondo magnet" gizmos when shopping for a new project, like this. http://oppositelock.kinja.com/car-buying-t...ondo-1654814362
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.