Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calif. of Festival of Speed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
The only vendor that had 914 parts 4-sale was Sierra Madre. Of course they only brought two small parts. No 914s to be seen, didn't even put one on there Tee Shirt and 914 parking flag was at the far end of the parking lot... WTF.gif

Walters Porsche from Riverside was selling Hoodies with the letters Porsche on the front for $ 175.00. Looked like a 20 dollar Target hoodie to me !!! Someone else was selling Porsche key fobs for 30 bucks.... Spent 20 minutes there and left. Waste of 10 dollars.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
BigFour1973
For what it's worth, last year they put us front and center. Closest to the pit entrance. I mean someone has to be in the far corner and this year happened to be our year. This event isn't really catered to older cars although some vendors in the row did sell older transaxles and pelican had some stuff too. But 914's are a small niche and frankly I couldn't see a vendor setting up booths next to HRE or CNC motors to sell some 914 parts. Rent didn't look cheap there.

I saw one 914 right as it was taking off, a silver one. I personally didn't want to drive mine because the likelihood of rain and the karmann chassis wouldn't have gotten along.

I did get to meet Magnus Walker, he's an awesome guy. Very down to earth and willing to talk to fans. I asked him of his plans for the 914's and he said he was going to keep them relatively stock and also keep them 4 cylinders.
Steve
I was planning on going, but I didn't think it would be worth it, due to the weather. Parts were always on the expensive side there, compared to G&R. So another reason to skip it this year.
jim_hoyland
After attending Porsche Parade last year in Monterey and Rennsport Reunion this year at Laguna Seca it's disappointing that the Festival of Speed cannot be an event that rivals other Porsche venues.
TJB/914
QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ Apr 9 2016, 11:25 PM) *

For what it's worth, last year they put us front and center. Closest to the pit entrance. I mean someone has to be in the far corner and this year happened to be our year. This event isn't really catered to older cars although some vendors in the row did sell older transaxles and pelican had some stuff too. But 914's are a small niche and frankly I couldn't see a vendor setting up booths next to HRE or CNC motors to sell some 914 parts. Rent didn't look cheap there.

agree.gif
I really understand your statement about not catering to older Porsche vendor stuff. hissyfit.gif

I attended our local PCA swap meet this weekend. The vendors with old Porsche items FS only amounted to about 10%-20% on the tables. The crowd was mostly looking for new (water) Porsche stuff and us older (air) guys are the minorities headbang.gif

Our world is changing so maybe it's time to sell our 914's for a Cayman happy11.gif

Tom
The Festival is targeting folks who are into tracking. It does not cater to one model or year. If you are only focus on 914, the world will be very limited for you.
I've always enjoyed it as it allows me to see folks that I used to run in POC back in the days.
Also, to admire all the new race cars that some people simply have to means to purchase ( 250k + ) as a toy.
Especially when they roll up in a transport and crew.
The world does not only revolve around 914.
campbellcj
The spectator and paddock turnout was definitely smaller, at least Saturday morning. I barely stayed an hour. However the racer turnout was impressive - all the garages were full plus the open paddock areas were quite utilized. I'm glad I didn't run as I am not a fan of rain and did not want to miss Luftgekuhlt this morning.
VegasRacer
The weather was perfect. Dry all weekend.

The swap meet was tiny, only 4 vendors.

The 60 mph max speed lunch time track tour was fantastic.
(My speedo must be broken. It was showing 120 on the front straight.)

I counted 3 1/2 914's. A black one that stayed on a trailer. A blue one that was a 'pit crew support vehicle'.
This silver one in the corral, and half an orange one that was a vendor display.
VegasRacer
I asked Magnus and his friend "What is the best Porsche?"
campbellcj
I wouldn't kick this out of bed --

IPB ImageVorsteiner Porsche GT4 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

campbellcj
How I got there - this is how empty the parking lot was at 9:30

IPB Image2009 Porsche 911 Turbo by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 11 2016, 09:31 PM) *

IPB Image2009 Porsche 911 Turbo by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

I'm happy to see another TT owner, I have a quick question for you. Have you tweeked the rear suspension like toe links and spring rates?
Just wondering.
Thanks
campbellcj
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 12 2016, 02:06 AM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 11 2016, 09:31 PM) *

I'm happy to see another TT owner, I have a quick question for you. Have you tweeked the rear suspension like toe links and spring rates?
Just wondering.
Thanks

Well, yes and no. Definitely it needs it -- the car is scary at speed in the twisties! I have accumulated a large stash of parts but was waiting to mod until the CPO warranty ran out, which just happened 2 weeks ago. Now I'm waiting to see how deeply the IRS rapes me; hope to get the mods done in May/June. I just got it smogged so I'm good on that for 2 years unless the laws change. (But my mods should be smog-invisible anyhow.)

I did swap the PASM control box with the TPC Racing / DSC Sport version some time back - FANTASTIC. It makes the struts totally active and programmable.
Congrats with your future upgrades. I just updated the toe links to the ERP ones. My car is only rear wheel drive and no PSM to worry about.
One of the best forum to visit is 6Speed and Rennlist, where there are more water cooler enthusiasts there.
campbellcj
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 13 2016, 03:56 AM) *

Congrats with your future upgrades. I just updated the toe links to the ERP ones. My car is only rear wheel drive and no PSM to worry about.
One of the best forum to visit is 6Speed and Rennlist, where there are more water cooler enthusiasts there.

Thanks! Yep I am on 6speed, Rennlist and Pelican as well - username campbellcj on those too. For me Rennlist seems best for the new cars. 6speed is smothered with vendors and vendor plugging/bashing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.