Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Moving to Alaska
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
My house finally sold smilie_pokal.gif , set to close at the end of April so I have a month to get outta here.

This means figuring out how to get 3 cars (914 included) and a 3 bedroom house and 3 car garage full of stuff up there without completely breaking the bank.

I would like to just fill a container with all the household stuff and the 914 and ship it up there but it seems that prices for that have gone up considerably in the last year. So it may be a uhaul of the Alaska Hwy. We where planning on driving it anyway just with our Rover and Toyota and not a moving truck. I've done the drive about 20 times so that's not a biggie but gas is going to be a killer.

We will be moving to Homer on the Kenai penninsula, "the halibut fishing capital of the world". We are planning on opening a Coffee shop/bakery/roaster there. I used to live there and have missed it since the day I left.

Open invitation to any club member visiting Alaska to come to Homer and visit.

user posted image
user posted image
SLITS
North to Alaska, goin' north to Russia's zone (own)...Oh whatever...

Damn it's cold..

Good Luck...I don't think my teener would handle the Pan American Highway. sad.gif
lapuwali
Congrats, and Bon Chance...

I use to live in Anchorage, and I've been to Homer a few times. However, I was still but a lad then, living with the parents, and I discovered I don't like the cold, and I'm a huge fan of the Great Indoors, so I personally hope to never go back, so I'll not be visiting...

Fabulous place for those who love the out of doors, though.

In terms of moving everything you own in a U-Haul. BTDT. Start throwing out or giving away everything you can stand right now. Convince yourself you don't really need about 50% of what you have.
Ronnie J
Just moved to Fairbanks 8 months ago. And my teener is in storage in Virginia sad.gif . Oh well maybe I can come look at yours wub.gif Have a great trip and I'll know it's you if I see a 914, because I havn't seen one since I've been here.
SLITS
Hey you two can host the WCC07 smilie_pokal.gif

Would there be track fees and do we need spikes in the tires? rolleyes.gif
Mark Henry
WOW cool.gif Talk about a million $$$$ view!

And people think I live in the boonies! wink.gif

Good Luck mate! beer.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Ronnie J @ Mar 29 2005, 02:54 PM)
Just moved to Fairbanks 8 months ago. And my teener is in storage in Virginia sad.gif . Oh well maybe I can come look at yours wub.gif Have a great trip and I'll know it's you if I see a 914, because I havn't seen one since I've been here.

If you come down to Homer this summer we can go cruising in the 914.

Definetely some Porsches in Anchorage, never saw a 914 when I lived there. I expect to get evven more looks in the car than I do now. It will be a short drivng season as well, but I'll get to use my snowmobiles more. biggrin.gif

you two can host the WCC07  

Would there be track fees and do we need spikes in the tires?

No spikes need but you may have to raise the ride height and put on some bigger lug tires laugh.gif
Bruce Allert
I have fond memories of Homer. If I were to move to Alaska it's be there too. We had lunch at LandsEnd restaurant out on their deck lookin' out across the bay towards the glacier. Loved the Salty Dawg Saloon beerchug.gif If I ever get back there we'll look ya up.

.....b
riverman
You might end up being the most 'northern' of all the Club members. I guess I'll have to stop complaining about winter so much, and just remember that there are other teener owners who will be colder, or deeper in snow, than me.

Good luck. Beautiful country up there.
MecGen
Hey Guys
I was born up north and one day I plan to visit. About 4 years ago I got some tickets to the Yukon, when I told my Mom she said very saddly "your not going to come back". It seem that when my dad was up there looking for work he never wanted to leave (he was a big hunter). I had read in a "Time" mag that, 1 out of 10 regular visitors (people that went to Alaska more then once) wil stay permanantly, 1 out of 5 first time visitors check realestate prices. I do this when I travel anywhere. But interesting stats. I never made it up, for other reasons. I have even thought about using my 914 only 1 month out of the year and better get the heater working before you leave.
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif
Gint
Looks gorgeous. Best of fluck. Be sure to post pics when you get up there. I trust you'll be staying on the board since you're taking the teener.
jwalters
biggrin.gif Congratulations to ya!!!!! My older sis went there for three weeks--she is a professional photographer--but this was her vacation--went to Homer as well. She to this day cannot stop talking about it--she went in'95!!

Being in the Coast Guard--aviation that is--a full 1/3 of the people I work with was stationed in Kodiak. Not a single solitary one of them had anything bad to say, in fact, almost all of them want to do another tour of duty there!!

Talk about small world too--I am going back to college to be a professional pilot--I want to open a charter business up there!!! Bush flying has been my passion for over 14 years, and soon it will come to fruition!!! I have not missed an episode of the discovery wings channel about Alaskan bush flying ever.....

I am sure we will meet someday--Man, I am happy for you.. smoke.gif ....make it big!!!
Katmanken
You dog!

Homer is one of my favorite places. I go there and a friend ( a Westie) picks us up in his commercial boat and takes us to his place on Petersons Bay. For you noobs that's straight out from the spit in the picture and in the mountains on the on the far side of the bay- just behind Gull Island.

Can see Poot Peak from Captain Bob's place- he raises the worlds best oysters on his floating oyster farm in Peterson's bay. Can you also say mussels boys and girls? Tanner Crab? Last time I was up there, my sister and I caught 8 big ass silver salmon in about 2 hours. Bob knows where to go. smilie_pokal.gif

Yep, sitting in the hot tub overlooking Peterson's Bay, sipping a Homer home brew, and watching the bald eagle fish is my idea of heaven...... beer.gif

Now I want to go visit my sister and Captain Bob and Pat, and wear my Peterson's Bay hat, and see the yellow teener in Anchorage again, and.....and.....

Oh yeah, Bobs wife Pat has a sister who runs Teacups- one of the local eateries.

Ken
grantsfo
Have you looked into filling up a 40ft ocean container and getting a trucking company to haul it up there for you? Although we do have a bit of an equipment shortfall on the West Coast you should be able to find someone in the area who would make the run for you. Problem you will run into is the company is likely to charge you for the run back if they dont have a return load. Do you have any freinds up there that want to get something back to the lower 48?

Things are a lot more expensive becuase fuel prices have skyrocketed , make sure you factor that into your Uhaul cost. I think larger Uhauls fully loaded get about 7-9 MPG on a good day.
jwalters
unsure.gif What is gas going for in canada right now?? That always freaks me out-- unsure.gif
jet1
Hi,
I was born in Anchorage, and hope to go back one day. I really miss the fishing! Alaska is a great place to live. Good luck with the move!

Keith
riverman
QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 29 2005, 08:26 PM)
unsure.gif What is gas going for in canada right now?? That always freaks me out-- unsure.gif

$.80 Canadian a litre. That converts to $180.00 US a gallon. mad.gif
GWN7
Looks good. A buddy from work went halibut fishing up there a few years ago. First time he's ever fished with a shot gun. biggrin.gif

If your Uhauling your stuff up. Ship any guns by common carrier. There was a guy moving from Texas to Alaska a few years ago. Had 50 guns in his collection. Customs took them. Not sure if he got them back.
Joe Bob
Toss the crap....keep the persoanl stuff....the transportation costs will far outweight the replacment costs...
Rhodes71/914
Hey guys thanks for all the well wishes. I am very excited to be going back, when I left all my friends said "you'll be back".

Ken - the other side of the bay for Homer is one of the coolest places in Alaska. Huge state park with private land mixed in, hiking trails, camping, lakes you can actually swim in. So your friend has one of the shellfish farms over there, a lot of work from what I here but Kachemack bay oysters and mussles are starting to make a name for themselves.

I'll still be on the board so you should give a shout if you visit him.

A buddy from work went halibut fishing up there a few years ago. First time he's ever fished with a shot gun.  

I worked on a charter boat for a couple of summers, 410 shotgun was the fave back then for shooting anything over 100#.

Have you looked into filling up a 40ft ocean container and getting a trucking company to haul it up there for you? Although we do have a bit of an equipment shortfall on the West Coast you should be able to find someone in the area who would make the run for you. Problem you will run into is the company is likely to charge you for the run back if they dont have a return load. Do you have any freinds up there that want to get something back to the lower 48?

Things are a lot more expensive becuase fuel prices have skyrocketed , make sure you factor that into your Uhaul cost. I think larger Uhauls fully loaded get about 7-9 MPG on a good day.

Container is how I would like to go but it sounds like it could be a lot more than the uhaul. Still waiting for some quotes but one guy that I talked to today said that the ships are charging a lot more for the Seattle-Anchorage run than in the past. I asked for a ball park figure and he told me $6K-10K.

$500 for a truck rental that leaves a lot of money on the table for fuel. Recent gas prices in the Yukon are .99 a ltr cnd, that translates to 3.04 us per gallon.

Toss the crap....keep the persoanl stuff....the transportation costs will far outweight the replacment costs...

Yeah, lots of crap getting thinned from the pile on this move.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 29 2005, 05:07 PM)
Bush flying has been my passion for over 14 years, and soon it will come to fruition!!! I have not missed an episode of the discovery wings channel about Alaskan bush flying ever.....

I am sure we will meet someday--Man, I am happy for you.. smoke.gif ....make it big!!!

Hey man go for it, all those people that do it love it.

I have some friends that have a charter flying business out of Girdwood, right on the edge of the Chugach mountians and Prince William Sound. Freaking awesome stuff.
Rhodes71/914
Haven't been on the board much lately, you can imagine why.

My house is in the midst of packing, the engine is still out of the squareback, and we are still planning a quick trip to Salt Lake. ohmy.gif

Only 18 days until we hit the road north. Holy Crap!!! blink.gif
slapshot914
Saw a 914 in Eagle river when I was there 2 summers ago. Used to live there and my daughter and her family still does.

Love Homer. It is the best Alsaka has. Fishing, clamming sailing. If you hav'nt already, you need to go to Halibut Cove, good restaurants, art galleries, scenic as hell. Town is built on stilts. The Kenai is great for everything outdoors. Used to berth my sailboat in Seward.

Did you check out the cost of the Alaska ferry system. We used it both when we moved up and when we left. Also, check the cost of mailing some of your stuff up. We did that when we left, and found it was cheaper than shipping. Definitely get rid of stuff you can replace it when you get there. People are always coming and going, and there are alot of moving sales.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (slapshot914 @ Apr 14 2005, 07:43 AM)
Saw a 914 in Eagle river when I was there 2 summers ago. Used to live there and my daughter and her family still does.

Love Homer. It is the best Alsaka has. Fishing, clamming sailing. If you hav'nt already, you need to go to Halibut Cove, good restaurants, art galleries, scenic as hell. Town is built on stilts. The Kenai is great for everything outdoors. Used to berth my sailboat in Seward.

Did you check out the cost of the Alaska ferry system. We used it both when we moved up and when we left. Also, check the cost of mailing some of your stuff up. We did that when we left, and found it was cheaper than shipping. Definitely get rid of stuff you can replace it when you get there. People are always coming and going, and there are alot of moving sales.

Been to Halibut Cove many times, it is a beautiful place. All those bays and mountians are one of the great things about Homer.

I did check out the ferry but with two vehicles both towing it was quite a bit more than driving and paying the gas prices.

Trying to get rid of some stuff but we will still have a pile to move.

It's crunch time, one week and counting 'till we are outta here. I'll try to update as I can, my 914club time is pretty limited at this point. If I can I will post pics while on our journey north.

Stay tuned...
EdwardBlume
Can you say 914 snowmobile conversion. It can be done!!!!!!
porsha916
I don't know if it would work out , a place to rest for the night, I live in Bellingham Washington. Ten miles from Canada, and room to park your vehicles. I would like to help out a fellow teener, if possible. biggrin.gif
smooth_eddy
I try to get up to Homer every July for halibut and salmon. Is your bakery going to be on the spit? Near the fishing hole? I love the fact that the sun sets at 11:30 at night and rises at 3:00 AM. Makes for some long days combat fishin.... Eddy
elwood-914
Good for you. That would be a dream come true for me, I love halibut. But like others I'm stuck in a rut here in Calif. Hey, you need a house boy? drooley.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (porsha916 @ Apr 23 2005, 11:43 PM)
I don't know if it would work out , a place to rest for the night, I live in Bellingham Washington. Ten miles from Canada, and room to park your vehicles. I would like to help out a fellow teener, if possible. biggrin.gif

I most likely will be stopping in B'ham. I went to WWU and have some friends that still live there. It makes a decent days drive from here and is a nice stop before crossing the boarder.
I try to get up to Homer every July for halibut and salmon. Is your bakery going to be on the spit? Near the fishing hole? I love the fact that the sun sets at 11:30 at night and rises at 3:00 AM. Makes for some long days combat fishin.... Eddy

The spit is great for summer business but it's a wasteland down there in the winter. We're still working on a location, it is such an important thing.

Come on up elwood, we'll find something for you to do. laugh.gif
Rhodes71/914
Thought I would update this as I can.

Got everything packed up and in the Uhaul today.
We have a 26' uhaul pulling a car hauler with the 914. My wife is driving the Land Rover pulling the squareback on a car dolly. I would post a pic but I can't transfer now.

At our first stop in Eugene, OR to see my grandparents then it's off to Bellingham for our next stop.

3300 miles to go!
URY914
Good luck!

Send us pictures when you can.

Paul wavey.gif
MecGen
Hey
Best wished on your trip.
This week gas in my area topped 99.9 cent a lter.
Ittle cost you 1,248,365,424,884,521,855 $ in gas just to cross Canada screwy.gif
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
Rhodes71/914
WE MADE IT! smilie_pokal.gif
Arrived on Saturday for a total of 7 days travelling. Not to bad for travelling with 2 little ones and all those vehicles.

Been busy getting moved in and setting everything up, here are a few pics from the trip.

The caravan all ready to go.
Rhodes71/914
oops pic
URY914
You are a brave man. You deserve a metal. smilie_pokal.gif

Give me your address and I'll MapQuest from my house to yours and see how many miles it is. ohmy.gif

Paul
Rhodes71/914
A healthy lunch in Kelso, WA.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 12 2005, 08:35 AM)
You are a brave man. You deserve a metal. smilie_pokal.gif

Give me your address and I'll MapQuest from my house to yours and see how many miles it is. ohmy.gif

Paul

1060 Miller Ln, Homer Alaska 99603

Here's my son Alec enjoying a nice morning stop in BC
Rhodes71/914
Only had one real mechanical issue, got some bad gas in the Uhaul (water) so I had to dump the filter a few times. Parts store in Whitehourse had a replacement and the kids wanted to help.
URY914
50: End at 1060 Miller Ln
Homer, AK 99603-8304, US Map

Total Est. Time: 92 hours, 17 minutes Total Est. Distance: 5007.28 miles

Gee, just 92 hours and 5000 miles, I'll be right up to help you unload. biggrin.gif

You are living a dream, good for you. aktion035.gif

Paul
bondo
Wow, cool! Now you need to update your location in your profile! smile.gif What kind of gas mileage did that mega-uhaul get?
bmcwilli
MAN

Were you lucky with the U-haul. Every time I or anyone in my family tried to take a U haul more than 100 miles, it broke down. The last time, my dad was moving my sis to Colo Springs when the predicted U Haul failure hit. They were close enough that the tow truck just hooked up the U-Haul and took it to destination.

Every other breakdown featured a road side content transfer from the breakdown to the replacement U Haul. A surreal experience.

I admire your pluck. You must have a wonderful wife, and your kids are lucky to have a dad with balls.

I LOVED the corn dog photo.
Rhodes71/914
I did get lucky in the fact that the Uhaul only had 1300 miles on it when I picked it up. Kid at the Uhaul place tried to give me a older one first the new one was sitting right next to it. Truck was pretty nice. I did have a stalling engine problem on hills after I got the water in th gas, but I was able to shift to N and get it restarted while still rolling. More of an annouyance that anything, I did not want to do a roadside transfer in the middle of the Yukon.

I think I got around 7.5 mpg, I'm not adding up my gas receipts, between that and the Rover I know it wasn't cheap!

Here's a shot at a roadside stop in Northern BC. This is in the Muncho Lake area of the North Canadien Rockies, one of my favorite parts of the drive. Wish I had been driving the 914 instead of pulling it, there are some great twisties there.

Rhodes71/914
Of course you would want to watch out for these guys.
Rhodes71/914
I had to take the Uhaul back to Anchorage for drop off, a 450 mile roundtrip. Just left the 914 on the car hauler and unloaded it in the uhaul parking lot and drove home. It was the longest drive I have had it on and it worked flawlessly. It was nice enough that I drove with the top on all the way home driving.gif .

This guy strolled into our front yard the day we arrived.
slapshot914
Glad you made it. biggrin.gif We'll be going to Eagle River for 2 weeks in June. Don't know if we'll make the trip to Homer this year. Trying to to talk my son-in-law into taking me fishing for trout on the upper Kenai. That may be as close as we get though. But, just in case, let me know if you'll be open for business, and we will stop for a visit and some goodies. I'll check with you later when we get there.
Any rock dings on the teener from towing?
bmcwilli
Moose picture

laugh.gif

My 13 year old daughter has a pen pal named Kelly in Fairbanks. For Kelly's 13th birthday, her dad showed her how to use the BB gun to plink the moose so they stay out of the shed!

ar15.gif
mack914
That's a great shot of Homer. Must be a picture of the summer season, otherwise the picture would show more snow. Winter, as i get older is not something I want to experience. Warm weather and the 914 is where it's at.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (slapshot914 @ May 12 2005, 12:00 PM)
Glad you made it. biggrin.gif We'll be going to Eagle River for 2 weeks in June. Don't know if we'll make the trip to Homer this year. Trying to to talk my son-in-law into taking me fishing for trout on the upper Kenai. That may be as close as we get though. But, just in case, let me know if you'll be open for business, and we will stop for a visit and some goodies. I'll check with you later when we get there.
Any rock dings on the teener from towing?

We should be going by June (if all goes well).

Both cars came throught the trip great. I think the worst was my freshly cleaned engine in the squareback that got covered in a thick layer of dust.

As well our bakery I am going to try and get some more wild alaska down to the lower 48. When I get set up I will be shipping out fresh seafood for overnight delivery.

No 914 sightings yet in Alaska but there was a 928 at the grocery store.

If any of you make it up here be sure and look me up.
Eric Taylor
Sean, Gald to see you made it. Looks like a beautiful place to live. Sorry we couldn't get together.
Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.