Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soundproofing questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burningman
Hey all, I'm about to lay some soundproofing I the doors with raaamat soundproofing, the standard sticky backed stuff. The question I have is how did you apply it to the horizontal structural ribs in the door? Did you skip them altogether, cut thin strips to lay within them or did you lay a large solid piece of soundproofing and carefully adhere it to the peaks and valleys of the ribs?

Hopefully this makes sense, thanks for your help.
Chris914n6
Skip it, it doesn't vibrate.

Also, it doesn't take a lot of mat to be effective. Trick is to bang on stuff and listen, if it's not low pitch stick it.
Sedonut
Make sure the inside of the door is really clean and what ever soundproofing sticks well. With the sun beating on your door and a vertical surface the adhesive may let go. Then you have a nice heavy piece of mat to interfere with your window.

If it were me I would pass on doing the doors.
Tbrown4x4
QUOTE(Sedonut @ Apr 9 2016, 09:15 PM) *

Make sure the inside of the door is really clean and what ever soundproofing sticks well. With the sun beating on your door and a vertical surface the adhesive may let go. Then you have a nice heavy piece of mat to interfere with your window.

If it were me I would pass on doing the doors.

Sun? In Seattle? lol-2.gif
saigon71
I skipped the doors. For application on challenging areas with a lot of curves and such, I cut strips - much easier to work with.
dflesburg
we put it on the inside of the door cards, works well there. (its a secret so don't tell.)
dflesburg
we also put it on the underside of the floor mat carpets so that it doesn't trap water there.
Jason74914
I would go with just as much as you need. If you are using Dynamat, that stuff is heavy and weight can add up.
burningman
Cool thanks for your help everyone. I've done a bunch of soundproofing before but those ribbed structural supports threw me for a loop I'll just skip them.
Cairo94507
I have installed stuff very similar to Dynamat in other cars and I installed it on the inside of the door skin. I used strips that were very manageable. I just made sure there was no dirt/dust on the inside of the actual door skin and placed it and then used a small roller to lay it flat and make sure there were no bubbles.

Years later when working on the door I tried to peel back a piece and that stuff was adhered very well. This is in CA so no real cold but some pretty hot days. I believe Scotty will be adding the same material to the inner door skins of my Six. As others have said, you do not need to have 100% coverage of the skin to have the desire effect.

The secret is to take your time and work with smaller pieces. I spent a week doing the interior of a car in the evenings. One section at a time and then stop for the day.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Sedonut @ Apr 9 2016, 09:15 PM) *

Make sure the inside of the door is really clean and what ever soundproofing sticks well.

agree.gif .... & rust free - or treat, prime & paint before soundproofing!

Skip the reinforcement bars - they're just there for side impact protection.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.