Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New dash replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB620
Hi all, well it's been so nice here for the past few days I decided to tackle my new 914Rubber replacement dash. As I was following the techniques shown in the instructional video by Brad Mayer (very helpful, thank you) I ran across a red wire coming from the back of my tachometer that had been cut and not connected to anything. It's a 75 1.8L if that makes a difference. I'm hoping to get some advice about what to do with the wire and where it possibly might need to be hooked up to. Any help would be very much appreciated.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
iankarr
This may help...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...where-goes.html
GregAmy
I'm'a gonna guess a prior owner's power wire for some accessory. When I did mine I spent a good half hour chasing down and cutting out leftover wires (stereo, speakers, old front headlight washers, extra fan in the engine compartment, etc; he was a busy beaver) and mucked up ground wires.

Follow it to its source and see where it goes...
JB620
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Apr 10 2016, 12:24 PM) *

Super, thank you for the link.
JB620
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 10 2016, 02:41 PM) *

I'm'a gonna guess a prior owner's power wire for some accessory. When I did mine I spent a good half hour chasing down and cutting out leftover wires (stereo, speakers, old front headlight washers, extra fan in the engine compartment, etc; he was a busy beaver) and mucked up ground wires.

Follow it to its source and see where it goes...

So from the link it does indeed looks like it's a 12v source, but it looks like there are two separate red wires coming from the same connection. One comes in from the first gauge and the other goes out but to nothing. What am I missing? I have had this car for many years so apparently whatever it goes to I haven't been missing too badly LOL. Should I just tape the ends better and button it back up, call it good?
ejm
Are the terminals under the tape the smaller 1/8" wide ones? If so they may be for the EGR and CAT warning lights some cars had beginning in '75
JB620
QUOTE(ejm @ Apr 10 2016, 06:44 PM) *

Are the terminals under the tape the smaller 1/8" wide ones? If so they may be for the EGR and CAT warning lights some cars had beginning in '75

I'm gonna say yes. What does that mean?Click to view attachment
ejm
QUOTE(JB620 @ Apr 10 2016, 10:01 PM) *

QUOTE(ejm @ Apr 10 2016, 06:44 PM) *

I'm gonna say yes. What does that mean?

It means you put tape back on them and let the next owner ask about them biggrin.gif
JB620
I'm guessing you mean they attached to the two little lights on the face plate. But when I pulled the face plate the EGR light was connected to a little blue and yellow wire. And the CAT light was connected to a little black and yellow wire. That would make sense though, wonder what I've got going on. Pretty sure I have never seen those lights come on in the almost 30 years owning the car. Hmmm...The plot thickens!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.