Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stock 2.0 1973-74 engine which pertronix ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
working on a stock 73 - 74 2.0

Pelican sells like 5 different versions of the pertronix ignitor

which one do buy?

Thinking either the 1 for $80 or the 2 for $112

76-914
It used to be P834V but IIRC they have a newer one that won't fry if you leave the ign switch on too long. Buy 2 so you can keep a spare on board. beerchug.gif
dflesburg
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 10 2016, 06:12 AM) *

It used to be P834V but IIRC they have a newer one that won't fry if you leave the ign switch on too long. Buy 2 so you can keep a spare on board. beerchug.gif

???? ----can you please restate the answer?
iankarr
Go with the II.

Great advice to get a spare. Pertronix is more consistently reliable than points, but since they're digital, when they die, the die immediately. Not like points where the engine runs progressively worse, but you at least have time to fix it without being stranded.

But they do last. I've had a III on my 65 mustang for 5 years and it works great.
colingreene
Every pertronix part ive ever used sucked.
I run points for a reason.
My dads car hated it. Mine hated it.
The bmw race car we run also gave us trouble.
Pertronix warrantied them but it was still beyond anoying to deal with.
Bulldog9
I would go with ignitor 2, has auto shut off protection, and a progressive dwell. Make sure you match the correct coil. I think the Ignitor 2 has a .06 ohm rating. They sell it in epoxy and oil filled. Check out european motorworks, but many other vendors sell as well.
PancakePorsche
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Apr 10 2016, 08:30 PM) *

I would go with ignitor 2, has auto shut off protection, and a progressive dwell. Make sure you match the correct coil. I think the Ignitor 2 has a .06 ohm rating. They sell it in epoxy and oil filled. Check out european motorworks, but many other vendors sell as well.

agree.gif coil matters indeed !. I never had problems with these. Best upgrade you can do to your dizzy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.