Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Numbers matching? How can you really be sure?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
What is the best way to determine if the engine and the car are original to each other?

Thank you
Mike Bellis
COA from Porsche. This is the only way I know of.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 10 2016, 11:01 AM) *

Was looking for something more timely, This is part of my "pre buy" investigation. If the purchase went through I would most likely get the COA for the official Documentation.

Also, is the COA the only way you can determine how the car was optioned?

Thank you
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 10 2016, 09:18 AM) *

Was looking for something more timely, This is part of my "pre buy" investigation. If the purchase went through I would most likely get the COA for the official Documentation.

Thank you

Yes.
Cairo94507
Your could always give PCNA a call and tell them you are trying to verify a car for purchase and want to be sure it has the correct numbers matching engine/transaxle. They should be able to confirm that over the phone.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 10 2016, 11:36 AM) *

Your could always give PCNA a call and tell them you are trying to verify a car for purchase and want to be sure it has the correct numbers matching engine/transaxle. They should be able to confirm that over the phone.

Thank you Cairo94507
Mike Bellis
Rust is more important than matching numbers at this point of 914 values.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 10 2016, 11:58 AM) *

Understood......Buts what wrong with having both if you can?
Gunn1
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 10 2016, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 10 2016, 11:58 AM) *

Understood......Buts what wrong with having both if you can?

Maybe I don't get it...............So if Joe Turbo has a complete number matching 914 and I have the same year and condition car but the numbers on my car don't match they are of equal value?
Mike Bellis
Two perfectly equal cars, the matching number will be worth slightly more.
iankarr
A quick check to at least rule out a swap is the engine serial number chart. See below.

http://www.p914.com/p914_vin.htm
TheCabinetmaker
If the engine has the correct prefix on the serial number for the year vehicle, and it's still injected, then its "likely" the one it came with.
r_towle
Is is widely known in the 356 community that the pcna records are not super accurate for that time frame, so many mistakes....things that could not happen are recorded as fact...and have been corrected.

So, while th COA is the best reference we have, it may not be perfect.
Specifically engine/trans numbers and various options are not always listed properly.

If you have the original sales paperwork, you can see it does not always match the COA...

But, in a pre purchase inspection, a quick call to PCNA with the numbers and ask if they are right....they should be willing t answer that for you.
If you call and ask for numbers based upon the VIN, they may not answer the questions, so do your homework and you will get what you need from them.

Rich
Tom_T
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 10 2016, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 10 2016, 11:01 AM) *

Thank you

Yes & yes, but for a pre-purchase, you can probably call PCNA's COA 800# with the VIN, engine & transaxle case nos. & ask if they could please-PLEASE verify if it's nos. matching on the Kardex they have on digital/micro-fische/microfilm .... & promise to buy a COA for whichever 914 you decide to buy.

If you're a PCA member, or plan to join when you have the 914, then tell them that too.

Have physical pix of those numbers on the car(s) you look at, in case they ask you to email them for verification. (I had to send the GA# pix for my 73 914-2.0 which I've owned since 12/75 2nd owner, before they would correct my COA to 914-2.0, so they're sticklers on it due to so many motor transplants for "fake 2.0s" or -6's etc.)

While their records have errors - plus their COA staff is often too lazy &/or inexperienced to look up the period-correct option codes, color codes, etc. - so they tend to send out a ton of inaccurate COAs - which they are supposed to correct for free after the one fee (I had to go 3x & finally contacted the big boss Customer Service GM before they did however, but I think the butt manager of COAs got reprimanded or canned over refusing to correct mine, according to the GM).

That said - they most often won't have a recorded transaxle number on 914/4's & many -6's, but will usually have the VIN & engine case nos. on the Kardex & COA.

I also answered your sway bar question post, if it's on the same 914.

Good Luck with the Hunt! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
BK911
I have called pcna several times.
They were always helpful.
They also always asked for proof of ownership before they released any info.
YMMV.
Good luck!

And I agree a numbers matching car will be worth a bit more.
Also easier to sell.
Many of us are snobs when it comes to originality, especially as values climb.
Gunn1
Thank you to all in the "World" that have provided such great information. pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.