Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: more DIY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Not directly 914. My son wants to megasquirt a lotus 907 motor and put it in his MGB. He will use 4 independent motorcycle throttle bodies. Whether that will work is not the point of the post. He is making manifolds that match both outlines. Oval at the ports, and round at the throttles. Here we go. Don't try this at home it isn't safe.

Here is the flower pot furnace - literally. Air is temporaily going in the top cause I had a crucible failure plugging the bottom stainless pipe air inlet. Air from a water heater exhaust fan.
Click to view attachment

It works
Click to view attachment

Melted fast and sent Doug scrambling to mold. Cores were pre made tho
Click to view attachment

No one was there to film the pour but here it is
Click to view attachment

I singed my beard. Had to cut it short that day next day to travel by air to be a biologist for work
Click to view attachment

And here it is
Click to view attachment

Note it had cleared up. The first cast did not go -air/steam trapped- so this is the following weekend when it wasn't snowing! The water on the pavement is a hazard btw. So it was safer round 2.

One thing that made it work was using quality aluminum -old 1.7 pistons that would never push again. Now we know where they are and the shell that carried them will be my 3.2. So life goes on.

Again - Doug is a mechanical engineer and I have cast metal as a hobby for 40 years. We cast about 10 lbs of Alu; enough metal to burn your arm off. I singed my beard cause it is long enough to blow in a light breeze, but even that was stupid. We always handled the crucible with tools that kept us at a distance and we have practiced dropping valuable things to save your ass. Better a crushed engine than a crushed leg sort of thing. Still...
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
bulitt
Nothing more rewarding than DIY ! first.gif
Mueller
Very cool...I mean hot, super hot!

I had pictures of my furnace and 1st casting here on the site but they don't link anymore sad.gif

rhodyguy
What material did you make the cores with? I worked in a non-ferrous foundry. Learned quickly that footwear with laces and handling ladles full of molten metal did'nt work out so well when an oops ocurred.
worn
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 10 2016, 10:59 AM) *

What material did you make the cores with? I worked in a non-ferrous foundry. Learned quickly that footwear with laces and handling ladles full of molten metal did'nt work out so well when an oops ocurred.

I learned to cast at Lakeside High School in Seattle. Doug learned at western in Bellingham. Doug had to pay out of state, so you Washingtonians got a plus from my bank. Yeah, footwear is important and my leather slip ons weren't enough.
We mix green sand with molasses and some flour for cores. Still experimenting as you can see. The photos don't do justice, it is at least a quart of metal flowing like water. The molasses makes the cores smell like cookies when baking. Doug latched onto a pizza oven, but the sweet smell will let you get away with it in the oven. I wouldn't bake metal exposed sand though in a kitchen.
rhodyguy
The sprue seemed large. Also noted the lack of risers. Do you guesstimate the temp and call it good to go? Really cool project. Off to the cleanup room to clear the parting line.
r_towle
Wow!
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 10 2016, 06:09 PM) *

Wow!

I know... who knew War was a bearded hipster! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Looks like a fun project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.