Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weather Stripping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TM_Corey
The weather stripping around the top of my windows isn't correct is it? Both doors seem about an inch short. Does it shrink? It's the original rubber.
mark04usa
Yes, those seals do tend to shrink, and the "replacement" parts I have seen are most often cut too short to begin with.
Mikey914
Rubber will shrink, but the real problem was the material was pulled through the channel then cut. You should cut the rubber to length, and install. When you pull through the rubber stretches. You can lubricate the track but it has memory and it there is ANY tension on it, it will appear to "shrink" as it returns to the original size.
This is also a problem for the targa to window seals on the roof.

mark04usa
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 10 2016, 05:46 PM) *

Rubber will shrink, but the real problem was the material was pulled through the channel then cut. You should cut the rubber to length, and install. When you pull through the rubber stretches. You can lubricate the track but it has memory and it there is ANY tension on it, it will appear to "shrink" as it returns to the original size.

The problem I have seen with replacements of this part is the material was cut too short by the parts supplier to begin with, not stretched and cut short by installer. sunglasses.gif
Mikey914
Well I can tell you we ship them out for you to cut. Not sure why anyone would do it any other way.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 10 2016, 11:42 PM) *

Well I can tell you we ship them out for you to cut. Not sure why anyone would do it any other way.

When I get to that point I'll be in touch aktion035.gif
Mikey914
I also have the "correct" profile. Porsche superseded the "correct" part somewhere in 74, and went cheap by using the 911 scraper. It was a cost cutting measure, but they tend to grab, more so when new. So pre 74 this is the correct profile installed.
(shown installed on my 75)
I do have both.
iankarr
There's a way to install the squeegees without pulling them through the track. you lay it over the channel and use a wood dowel or other small blunt item to "snap" it into place.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 10 2016, 05:46 PM) *

agree.gif

I will totally agree with this statement. Even the lubed install will need to return to size. Use lots of lube... soapy water. pick a rainy weekend, install it..... wait to cut it for a few days or weeks.

I also tried to "return" it to size by pushing it back.
mark04usa
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 11 2016, 12:42 AM) *

The front trunk bulkhead seal I got from you at 914Rubber was sent that way...a little long and cut to fit. A well made part done right. I'll get my next set of seals from you.
smilie_pokal.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Apr 10 2016, 06:23 PM) *

Yes, those seals do tend to shrink, and the "replacement" parts I have seen are most often cut too short to begin with.

I got my window scraper seals from Mikey914. Plenty of extra length so you can cut to fit. Highly recommend! Also got my door end cap seals from him. Dont forget about those.
mark04usa
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 13 2016, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Apr 10 2016, 06:23 PM) *

Also got my door end cap seals from him. Dont forget about those.

Hey, my 46 year old end caps are perfectly cromulent! Damn, those things are petrified hard, and sharp too...you do not want to bang your head on my door end caps.
Click to view attachment
era vulgaris
The door end cap seals are at the outer end of the door. Basically the plastic end extension of the scraper seals, below the side targa seal.
bandjoey
Get a $6 set of plastic body tools from HF. They're great for pushing in seals
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.