Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 engine hanger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type2man
Does anyone have any info on this front engine hanger. It came out of my 914. The ones I have usually seen are bolted or welded to the firewall. Any issues with this one I should be worried about?

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Never seen one like that but it looks well engineered. I like the gussets for added support.
mb911
Looks like an old quick six mount.. I don't like this because of less access but nothing to worry about
sixnotfour
first version Patrick's Motorsports...some prone to cracking...I have one, used in three dif.914's No problems...no rubber mounts 2.4 S...
PancakePorsche
One big advantage of the quick six bar; it is quieter in the cockpit compared to most if not all firewall mounts including factory six.
porschetub
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Apr 11 2016, 04:36 PM) *

One big advantage of the quick six bar; it is quieter in the cockpit compared to most if not all firewall mounts including factory six.

I personally like the idea of these,why aren't they made anymore ,the design makes perfect sense ,build the bar strong enough and use 911 sport mounts and you got it....or are there other issues??? confused24.gif .
After fitting my six it would be nice to have the old engine mounts gone however.
914itis
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Apr 10 2016, 11:36 PM) *

Why is the bar makes it quieter ?
I am curious.
914Sixer
Engine is isolated to the frame. No noise and vibration hung on back wall.
ClayPerrine
The "quick six" mount was prone to cracking because it puts the weight forward of the mount points. That makes the engine bounce up and down in the chassis. And that breaks things.

They are considered to be vastly inferior to a bulkhead mount.

Tbrown4x4
I would guess because it doesn't mount to the firewall.

Damn. Too late.
type2man
Thanks for the replies. I guess it makes is easier to install a 6. This car was built in the 80's but it was way too rusty to save. I plan to rebuild the motor since it was smoking pretty bad and source out some 40 idas for it. Supposedly, it's a 2.7 and it ran pretty nice when I first got it.
patssle
The new PMS bolt on mount for the firewall is very easy to install if one does not want to weld. That one might work fine but they are known to break - is it worth the risk? I for one like peace of mind!
billh1963

I can verify that bulkhead mounts transmit much more mechanical noise into the cockpit. After having the bulkhead mount installed last summer in place of the quick 6 bar there was a definite change in noise level and "vibration" from the 2.7 hanging around behind my head.
worn
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 12 2016, 07:25 AM) *

I can verify that bulkhead mounts transmit much more mechanical noise into the cockpit. After having the bulkhead mount installed last summer in place of the quick 6 bar there was a definite change in noise level and "vibration" from the 2.7 hanging around behind my head.

OK, now they tell me. After da welding and da hoisting and da bolting it is going to rattle?! I hope this isn't another opinion sway, like after I dropped mine to put the hydraulic Carrera chain tensioners in my SC and then folks are going all mechanical.

OK as long as I hear that sweet sweet fan spooling up behind me. Then I can pretend I have a jet.
Perry Kiehl Clone
I had one in a car and they do let the engine bounce, especially when you go over bumps, like RR tracks. They also prevent bolt up of factory heat exchangers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.