Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2-port fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
OK, something that has always been on my mind with the 2-port fuel pump from the later cars (and is a popular replacement/upgrade to the older cars after an NLA 3-port pump dies).

Why is the input on the 2-port pump (Example: Bosch 69133 Electric Pump) done as 1/2"? Is there some reason it couldn't be the same as the feed coming from the tank itself (9.5mm)?

JPA914
I don't know, but I'll bet the engineer responsible was somehow related to the one who decided to put the battery under an open mesh.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(JPA914 @ Apr 11 2016, 11:30 AM) *

I don't know, but I'll bet the engineer responsible was somehow related to the one who decided to put the battery under an open mesh.

No kidding. And his brother must have been the guy who thought it was a good idea to put foam padding under the sail panels.
JPA914
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 11 2016, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(JPA914 @ Apr 11 2016, 11:30 AM) *

No kidding. And his brother must have been the guy who thought it was a good idea to put foam padding under the sail panels.

We could be here all day biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Because the fuel filter is about 1/2" too. You can use the filter to step it down.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 11 2016, 11:40 AM) *

Because the fuel filter is about 1/2" too. You can use the filter to step it down.

That's what I don't get Mikey....

So supply from the tank is 9.5mm. I could certainly find a 9.5mm filter . I'm sure we could find other variations of filters such as a Mahle that has 8mm on both ends. I guess I just find it strange that this goes all the way out to 1/2" for this piece of the fuel system.

Just parts bin craziness or a technical reason?
ClayPerrine
Just bypass the whole argument and buy an aftermarket 2 port pump.

mbseto
Helps prevent connecting the wrong hose to the wrong port?
boxsterfan
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 11 2016, 12:03 PM) *

Just bypass the whole argument and buy an aftermarket 2 port pump.

OK cool. What aftermarket pump has 9.5mm input and output? Also, same for fuel filter so that no adapter shenannigans have to take place?

I'm just being lazy here to see if you have the part#'s handy. I am going to guess that there is an Airtex unit but don't know the specs on those.
r_towle
Look for a 1973 Volvo p1800 ES pump.
Same as our FI, but two port pump with the same sized input and output.

Delco has one.

What you need, and how I did it, is you need the same specs for psi, yet different sized ports.
A good parts store will help you find it.
Mikey914
This is how it steps down. I do have this on the site

http://www.shop.914rubber.com/Fuel-filter-...m?categoryId=-1
Amphicar770
Where on earth do you find a piece of of 2" fuel hose. I have checked every FLAPS in town, on Amazon I need to buy something like a 25' roll. I need about 2'.

Thx.
TheCabinetmaker
2 inch fuel hose? confused24.gif
914bub
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 15 2016, 02:36 PM) *

NHRA,.... Maybe tractor pulls? confused24.gif
914bub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 11 2016, 06:30 PM) *

Look for a 1973 Volvo p1800 ES pump.
Same as our FI, but two port pump with the same sized input and output.

Delco has one.

What you need, and how I did it, is you need the same specs for psi, yet different sized ports.
A good parts store will help you find it.

If thats the case a pump from any 1970-1973 1800 E or ES should work as well as a 71-73 140 series car. I'd like to see how thats connected as I have a few of those.

Seriously,..... 3 lines to a fuel pump? Maybe I'm Ol' school but 1 in and 1 out always made sense to me.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 15 2016, 05:36 PM) *

Doh! Typo. type.gif

1/2 inch fuel hose about 2' long. Where to find
ChrisFoley
I don't list it online but I do sell it. A piece is included in all my fuel line kits for late model cars.
r_towle
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 15 2016, 06:58 PM) *

Doh! Typo. type.gif

You checked every flaps in town and none had fuel line?
Really?

Go to a much better town, and get away from the big chain parts stores and find a local parts store, they ALL have large hose selections and all sell it by the foot.

Rich
Amphicar770
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 16 2016, 12:39 PM) *

Doh! Typo. type.gif

Really?

Go to a much better town, and get away from the big chain parts stores and find a local parts store, they ALL have large hose selections and all sell it by the foot.

Rich

NAPA, AdvanceAuto (x2), and Autozone. None had 1/2", NAPA could order it. Found it at RockAuto, should be here tomorrow. Gates hose, part number is 27306
ClayPerrine
Airtex E8445 pump (or equivalent). It is a rotary pump with the proper volume and pressure for the stock FI. It is about $120.00 at FLAPS.

Beats the hell out of a stock pump at $300.00 or more, and it doesn't require an adapter to hook it up.

Amphicar770
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 22 2016, 04:52 PM) *

Airtex E8445 pump (or equivalent). It is a rotary pump with the proper volume and pressure for the stock FI. It is about $120.00 at FLAPS.

Beats the hell out of a stock pump at $300.00 or more, and it doesn't require an adapter to hook it up.

Bosch is about $75 on Amazon.
napasteve
FYI having just installed SS lines and a new Bosch 69133 fuel pump:

I bought 1/2" fuel line at 2 different auto parts stores here in Napa. Both lines were really loose on the filter and the pump. So went over to Larsen Racing in Petaluma and bought 3' of Aeroquip FC598-08AQP. It fit snugly on both the pump and filter. I haven't had any leaks.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 16 2016, 12:39 PM) *

Doh! Typo. type.gif

Really?

Rich

Our advance auto has it by the foot. They are two blocks down the road so we just run over when we need it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.