Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solex, weber, ect. Getting the proper Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
After hearing it and reading about it....... the factory EFI is the recommended way to go with a stock engine from a performance standpoint. That being said If you were building a carbureted car what would be the carb manufacturer, number of carbs and type of Intake manifolds you would choose for the build?
Gunn1
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 11 2016, 07:22 PM) *

After hearing it and reading about it....... the factory EFI is the recommended way to go with a stock engine from a performance standpoint. That being said If you were building a carbureted car what would be the carb manufacturer, number of carbs and type of Intake manifolds you would choose for the build?

For a 2.0 liter

Thanks
type2man
36 or 40 dells would be ideal. I have 40's and have even run 45's on my 2.0 with a cam and headers. I have gotten 35-40 mpg with 40 dells. Webers are good but a little feisty at times
Gunn1
How about the Brazilian Solex carbs.
Ansbacher
Am running Dellorto 40s with 32 vents on a '74 2.0 Liter. Seems to be an optimum match. Runs strong, very stable at idle, no stumble from a standstill, and never seems to need constant readjusting like my experiences with Webers.

Ansbacher
porschetub
Dellorto's,better more modern design that the Webers,36mm or 40mm ,not much need to go bigger.
Do you mean the Solex/Kadron single throat carb kits,think these were made in Brazil?
Gunn1
Yes....wanting to know how this set up would work on a 2.or 1.7 liter
Mark Henry
Although the kadrons (solex) work good on a type 1 up to a mild cam and 1776cc it wouldn't be my choice for a type 4. Main reason is T4 heads flow way more than a T1 head
BTW I've used kads many times.

Get the dells or webers, better yet keep the FI and do a MegaSquirt brain.

Gunn1
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 12 2016, 07:37 AM) *

Although the kadrons (solex) work good on a type 1 up to a mild cam and 1776cc it wouldn't be my choice for a type 4. Main reason is T4 heads flow way more than a T1 head

Thinking of putting these on the 1.8 I will be rebuilding. I believe they were on the 2.0 liter I got as part of the package deal.

Click to view attachment

but from what I have read these carbs are probably better suited for the 1.8 or 1.7 liter rather than the 2.0

Am I thinking right?

Thanks
Gunn1
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 28 2016, 07:58 PM) *

Thinking of putting these on the 1.8 I will be rebuilding. I believe they were on the 2.0 liter I got as part of the package deal.

Click to view attachment

but from what I have read these carbs are probably better suited for the 1.8 or 1.7 liter rather than the 2.0

Am I thinking right?

Another better photo

Thanks

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 29 2016, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 28 2016, 07:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Am I thinking right?

you could but the stock vents are very small,just sold a near new set to a mate doing a 1600 bus engine with big valve heads so that's the range of them really,same as the ICT webers they have small vents also.
If you buy this set-up cheap enough you could go to aircooled.net and get rebuild kits and larger venturi's from them along with a suitable jetting package for your engine they should run ok .
Failing that get some Dellorto's as mentioned.

Another better photo

Thanks

Click to view attachment

BK911
I have empi hpmx 40s on a 1.7 and love them. About 3 years now with no issues.
flmont
where do ya get dells,..???
Gunn1

I think now I am starting to get it....These Kadrons (Solex) would work out ok on my 1.7 or 1.8 liter. But the factory EFI in the proper tune is still preferred over carbs and as good as it gets for a stock engine set up.....More desirable too.
porschetub
QUOTE(flmont @ May 1 2016, 07:34 AM) *

the 36 and 40mm were standard fitment on Alfa's before EFI ,I have seen a few sets on the Samba and on ebay,got mine for really cheap on our countries biggest auction site, 2 sets for 300nzd in good condition.
They need to be modified to run on a VW t1 and t4 motors but the parts are again easy purchased on ebay,the venturi's used in the Alfa's ones are normally correct but mains,idles and air correctors need changing,the choke blockoff plates and throttle arms need to be changed also.
Manifolds, aircleaners and linkages are all standard CB performance parts
Contrary to popular believe parts for these aren't a hassle and they are easily overhauled.
Gunn1
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 30 2016, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(flmont @ May 1 2016, 07:34 AM) *

the 36 and 40mm were standard fitment on Alfa's before EFI ,I have seen a few sets on the Samba and on ebay,got mine for really cheap on our countries biggest auction site, 2 sets for 300nzd in good condition.
They need to be modified to run on a VW t1 and t4 motors but the parts are again easy purchased on ebay,the venturi's used in the Alfa's ones are normally correct but mains,idles and air correctors need changing,the choke blockoff plates and throttle arms need to be changed also. And
Manifolds, aircleaners and linkages are all standard CB performance parts
Contrary to popular believe parts for these aren't a hassle and they are easily overhauled.

Can the same be said for the Kadrons/Solex carbs? Anyone have experience with using, tuning, rebuilding them and using on a type 1 ?

Thanks
BK911
Check on the samba for the kaddy shack.he specializes in rebuilt kads.
I also have the empi 40s on a 74 bug with stock 1600dp. Ran pretty well out of the box but just ordered different jets to optimize.
Good luck!!
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(flmont @ Apr 30 2016, 03:34 PM) *

There are a set on samba. 40s with linkage and intakes. I got mine from eurocarb. expensive, and i haven't used them yet but they have a good reputation.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(flmont @ Apr 30 2016, 03:34 PM) *

There's several places. Alfa1750 is one of the better known (I can never remember his actual name). He also sells a lot of the parts too. I got my jets and my rebuild kit from him.

http://stores.ebay.com/ALFA1750S-CARBURETO...d=p4634.c0.m322
RonnieJ
I put a pair of Kadron/Solex 40's on my 1.7 that I bought from Kaddie Shack and had them jet them for the 1.7 and they are the best running carbs I've ever had. If you already have a set call Kaddie Shack and ask them the best jetting they are happy to help and have everything you would need for them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.