Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got grommets?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I'm about ready to buy a carpet set. Been looking at Original Fit Interiors, Autos International and World Upholstery sets. Pretty much decided to go with a charcoal color, most likely from World Upholstery.

I haven't heard back from World yet, but Original Fit and Autos Int'l both stated that they do not have the grommets that attach to the posts on the floor board in their carpet sets. confused24.gif

It seems to me that these should be included in the replacement carpet pieces. -They were there originally and the cars have the post in the floor to accomodate them. Why not put the grommets in the replacement carpets???

Any of you purchased a replacement carpet set that has the grommets?

If you have a carpet set from World Uph, does it have the grommets?

Here's the grommet
CptTripps
My Dog's name is Grommit....does that help?

MarkV
The grommet on the factory mat is vulcanized in place. My upholstery guy didn't think he could sew something with that small diameter. We talked about mounting a snap to the stud on the floor pan. The solution he came up with is a backing that he mounts to the mat that is made to keep the mat in place. It is fairly expensive stuff that is sold by the square foot. It has hard rubber nibs that are about 1/4" tall and 1/4" apart. Without the stuff my driver side mat would bunch up in front of the pedals, now the mats don't budge.
MarkV
like this
Doug Leggins
World says no grommets either sad.gif

This bugs me!!! mad.gif I think that the grommets should be there!

Anyone have an after market carpet set that has the grommets???
seanery
I have James & Heidi's kit, no grommets there either.
It's nice carpet though.
CptTripps
QUOTE (seanery @ Mar 30 2005, 11:38 AM)
I have James & Heidi's kit, no grommets there either.
It's nice carpet though.

You could get one of their kits, and add the grommets later. I'm sure you can buy them for a flag or something, and punch them in your self.
rhilgers
I have a set from Pelican. It has the grommets. (sewn holes, not a metal grommet)

My problem is my new floorpan does NOT have the posts.

Any ideas?

-Rich Hilgersom
JeffBowlsby
Any ideas?

Sure, sell your set to me....I am interested...and local... biggrin.gif
Doug Leggins
My problem is my new floorpan does NOT have the posts.

Any ideas?

Is your set charcoal color and domestic loop? If it is, it might be easy to sell lol2.gif

Can you post a pic of the grommet? Please.
Qarl
I have a set from Autos Intenational with the charcoal loop. Sort of a black and gray mixture.

As Paris Hilton says... It looks hot!

I haven't installed it yet.

BUT... it has just holes cut in the mat for the floor pan studs, no grommets. It bugs me.

Doug Leggins
BUT... it has just holes cut in the mat for the floor pan studs, no grommets. It bugs me.

Yea that's what they told me -that they just made a cut out to allow it to slip over the posts.

So...have you figured out how to get grommets installed? laugh.gif
scruz914
QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ Mar 30 2005, 02:40 PM)
So...have you figured out how to get grommets installed? laugh.gif

Mine have grommets but the ID is too small for the posts to fit into. I don't know who the PO bought the carpet set from.

There are two ways to install grommets.
1) Buy a kit at your local hardware store and install them yourself. Availability of the right size might depend on how big or how general the hardware store is.
2) Have a canvas/awning shop, or sail maker (if available) install them. They will have grommets of all sizes and it should not cost very much to install 4.

-Jeff
JeffBowlsby
There are two ways to install grommets

The carpet grommets are black rubber...large diameter, not typical cavas shop brass grommets....or did you know that already...?
xitspd
QUOTE (Qarl @ Mar 30 2005, 02:31 PM)
I have a set from Autos Intenational with the charcoal loop. Sort of a black and gray mixture.

As Paris Hilton says... It looks hot!

I haven't installed it yet.

Carl,
It does look hot! I just bought the same set myself. I hope my flag holding assistant is up to installing it this weekend. cool.gif
GWN7
Check with a fabric place... if they don't have what you want, they might give you the name of their supplier....we use brass grommets with twist locks at work to hold the tarps on top of the hose beds. You should be able to find something to match.

The grommets are easy to install. Cut a slit in the carpet, insert top and bottom halves. Use a hammer and the special tool that they sell with every kit to flatten the edges out. As your car is painted attaching the twist locks might pose a bit of a problem....mabey epoxey?

These people might have what you need http://www.stimpson.com/
scruz914
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Mar 30 2005, 05:27 PM)
There are two ways to install grommets

The carpet grommets are black rubber...large diameter, not typical cavas shop brass grommets....or did you know that already...?

Jeff,

No, as a matter of fact I did not know. The grommets in my carpet are brass just like you see in canvas and sails. Like I said the ID is too small for the posts. I haven't seen what anyone else's looks like so I thought brass was the real deal. Now I understand my problem better. I know the PO and our of curiosity will ask him where he bought the carpet set. Meanwhile the goal is to find a source for rubber grommets that can easily be installed.

Thanks for the insight.

-Jeff
scruz914
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Mar 30 2005, 06:53 PM)
The grommets are easy to install. Cut a slit in the carpet, insert top and bottom halves. Use a hammer and the special tool that they sell with every kit to flatten the edges out. As your car is painted attaching the twist locks might pose a bit of a problem....mabey epoxey?

These people might have what you need http://www.stimpson.com/

Come to think of it, why not use brass grommets? As long as the hole is large enough to fit over the post and not too big they should work.

-Jeff
GWN7
Or mabey see if they have a hidden snap. Attach it to the back of the carpet and put the other 1/2 on the car.

The object is to not have your carpet move around and still be able to remove it when wanted.
GWN7
Here's a source for rubber grommets http://www.cableorganizer.com/grommet/

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.