Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Air Vent Removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
I want to remove the two air directional vents and wonder if there are any tricks to doing this as I don't want to break anything. Any pointers appreciated.

thanks
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(orbit398 @ Apr 12 2016, 09:19 AM) *

I want to remove the two air directional vents and wonder if there are any tricks to doing this as I don't want to break anything. Any pointers appreciated.

thanks

If you are talking about the ones in the end of the dash, get a dash frame and knee pad from a 70 or 71. They didn't have the vents.

Larmo63
Pull the whole lower dash "knee" pad. There are five main screws on the bottom of it, and two smaller screws on either end. (under the plugs) It will all come out as one piece.

I use a flashlight when re-attaching it to make sure all of the screws go back in correctly. You can re-install the pad without the plastic vents to make sure.

Then, just snap the vents back in.
orbit398
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 12 2016, 09:59 AM) *

Pull the whole lower dash "knee" pad. There are five main screws on the bottom of it, and two smaller screws on either end. (under the plugs) It will all come out as one piece.

I use a flashlight when re-attaching it to make sure all of the screws go back in correctly. You can re-install the pad without the plastic vents to make sure.

Then, just snap the vents back in.

I was just looking to pull the vents out and clean them as it'd be easier that way. If it's that much trouble just to pull the vents out, I'll leave in place and clean them there.

thanks anyway.
Mikey914
As I recall they just pull out. Shouldn't be a problem. Just be gentle.
barefoot
Yes, they just pull out, have small detents on the sides which you may be able to reach around and squeeze to assist removal.
76-914
agree.gif However, the bottom slides out easier than the top so slip a butter knife between the cutout and louvre then gently lift as you pull on the bottom of the louvre.
Larmo63
They WILL pull out, but I have done this many times, and the easiest way, and the way to do it without screwing up the plastic on the vents and the knee pad, is to take the knee pad off complete.

It couldn't be any more simple. Seven phillips screws.
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 12 2016, 05:36 PM) *

They WILL pull out, but I have done this many times, and the easiest way, and the way to do it without screwing up the plastic on the vents and the knee pad, is to take the knee pad off complete.

It couldn't be any more simple. Seven phillips screws.

The butter knife doesn't leave a mark, Marlo. You just apply a small amount of pressure to the center, bottom of the louver. The louver bottom is very flexible. Try it. A 10 second job. Better yet, I'll show next time I see you. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.