Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires unsafe....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
I know this topic has been beaten to death but....
My low mileage '74 2.0L has tires that are over 10 years old with under 2K miles. Should I replace these because they are older and possibly unsafe? The current tires are 165R15....if I replace them I'm thinking of going with the Vredestein Sprint Classic in 165/HR15.
Thoughts....
Bulldog9
IRRC 5-6 years is the recommended lifespan of tires, but if they were stored out of the elements and the sidewalls and area where the tread and sidewall meet have no cracks, and no cracks around bead, should be fine, but tires are relatively cheap and worth the safety.
Jett
I would replace them based on the DOT number an 10 years is too long IMO. We recently purchased a new set of Tires from tire rack and they exploded after 45 minutes on I5. One tire shook for 30 second and then exploded, apparently the belt separated.

BE CAREFUL and get brand new tires.
billh1963
Yes...replace them. Tires are cheap in the scheme of things.

I have Vredestein 15's on my '76 911.....good tire and very period correct looking

Click to view attachment
rgolia
Cal - I recommend the Vredestein Sprint Classic in 185/70/HR15. Keeps the original look but puts a little more rubber on the road.
ChrisFoley
If there's no sign of the rubber cracking on the surface I'll bet you can get another 2K miles out of them.
DCJosh
Tires are the only piece of safety equipment which actually touch the road. I would not risk it.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cal @ Apr 12 2016, 07:36 AM) *

My low mileage '74 2.0L has tires that are over 10 years old with under 2K miles. Should I replace these because they are older and possibly unsafe? The current tires are 165R15....if I replace them I'm thinking of going with the Vredestein Sprint Classic in 165/HR15.
Thoughts....

For driving - absolutely replace them at 8 years is the NHTSA recco. You can read up a bunch of info on the Tire Rack site's tech section.

For show - if you do that - then you could keep those on your "perfect" set of wheels, & just swap them on on the Concours grounds. Some folks do that here in SoCal. If not, just sell them to some CW who would use them as such - they look to be Michelin XZX 165R15 in either SR or HR speed rating (technically no speed rating at that age).

The Vreds would be good in either the 165/80HR15 (not the SR version on a 2.0), or the 185/70HR15 (or VR, but more $'s) for more contact patch (but less mpg, if you care about that), as noted above.

However, you might also want to look at Lucas Tires website for their Blockley 165/80HR15 which are a clone to the OE Dunlop SP57 165HR15's with the dog-bone tred pattern.

In any size of these & others sold new today, they'll be made with the newest rubber compounds & belts/plies - so will be even better than the originals.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
worn
QUOTE(Cal @ Apr 12 2016, 06:36 AM) *

Thoughts....

I bought my 914 from an NFL player who bought it for his wife. She must not have liked it cause while the tires were 19 years old the little nubs were still on them. I decided to lean autocross with them cause they slid like hard plastic on the pavement. Made me pay attention. But only for a short time - they weren't safe on the street and I run what I brung. You are at the end of the lifespan, but no one can give you a black and white answer because how quickly the rubber turns to stone, and how much public menace you are prepared to be are intangibles. Nice wheel BTW! I think at 19 years old the verdict is in - stupid.
worn
double post: see below
worn
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 12 2016, 06:57 AM) *

I have Vredestein 15's on my '76 911.....good tire and very period correct looking

Click to view attachment

Now that looks very nice first.gif
dcecc1968
I would replace them. Don't mess with any tire greater than 6 years old. Six years of rubber compound and plasticizers sitting in the sun (or just sitting). Not worth risking over a few thousand extra miles in my opinion.
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Apr 12 2016, 12:35 PM) *

I would replace them. Don't mess with any tire greater than 6 years old. Six years of rubber compound and plasticizers sitting in the sun (or just sitting). Not worth risking over a few thousand extra miles in my opinion.

I was given the same advise from my Porsche Master Tech.
He also responded, if and when it comes apart, your not going to be happy, but if you simply want to move your car from one side of the garage- no issues.

How do you think the C GT that crash in LA a few years ago and killed the two individuals happened....and the driver was a race car driver......it was on 10 + year old tires.
If you value your life and toy, change them out as suggested above.
Cal
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 12 2016, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Apr 12 2016, 07:36 AM) *

Thoughts....

For driving - absolutely replace them at 8 years is the NHTSA recco. You can read up a bunch of info on the Tire Rack site's tech section.

For show - if you do that - then you could keep those on your "perfect" set of wheels, & just swap them on on the Concours grounds. Some folks do that here in SoCal. If not, just sell them to some CW who would use them as such - they look to be Michelin XZX 165R15 in either SR or HR speed rating (technically no speed rating at that age).

The Vreds would be good in either the 165/80HR15 (not the SR version on a 2.0), or the 185/70HR15 (or VR, but more $'s) for more contact patch (but less mpg, if you care about that), as noted above.

However, you might also want to look at Lucas Tires website for their Blockley 165/80HR15 which are a clone to the OE Dunlop SP57 165HR15's with the dog-bone tred pattern.

In any size of these & others sold new today, they'll be made with the newest rubber compounds & belts/plies - so will be even better than the originals.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I've never heard of Blockley tires.....are they any good?
914bub
I'd replace them. That having been said the tires on my car would be 26 years old IF they were installed the day it was garaged in Portland Or. in 1990. I doubt they were.(I haven't checked date codes). I drive my car everyday on those tires. I know,........ the shock and horror! I would never drive on those tires if it weren't for the fact that I drive it 3/4 of a mile each way to work, under 25 MPH, as it's a residential commute. I can feel how "square" they are. It's not like I don't want to replace them but with 4 kids and medical bills it's not in the cards right now. BDMF for sure. wacko.gif
turk22
I didn't replace mine....

Until it was too late:

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jett @ Apr 12 2016, 10:43 AM) *

I would replace them based on the DOT number an 10 years is too long IMO. We recently purchased a new set of Tires from tire rack and they exploded after 45 minutes on I5. One tire shook for 30 second and then exploded, apparently the belt separated.

BE CAREFUL and get brand new tires.

blink.gif wait... You recommend he replace the 10 year old tires and the give an example of new tires exploding on I5?

I'm confused! New tires are bad too??? sad.gif
ConeDodger
As someone has already mentioned, you could keep them on a perfect set of wheels and use them during concours events. Preservation cars are all the rage at these events.

If you don't do that, find a way to get them to Harvey Weidman. He has customers looking for vintage original factory tires occasionally...
QUOTE(turk22 @ Apr 12 2016, 04:44 PM) *

Until it was too late:

Click to view attachment

Please don't post pictures like this. People might actually believe some of the excellent advice given...
914bub
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 12 2016, 06:14 PM) *

Until it was too late:

Click to view attachment

Please don't post pictures like this. People might actually believe some of the excellent advice given...

If your talking about me, I in NO WAY endorse old tires. I'm using mine in a VERY limited capacity. Being a 20 year automotive master technician this goes against all I was taught at De Anza Auto Tech. I use mine for less than a mile commute and I'm pretty sure given my racing experience I won't be spinning out of control with a tire blow out. at 25 MPH.
Bulldog9
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 12 2016, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 12 2016, 06:57 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Now that looks very nice first.gif

Hey, whatcha doin taking pics of my car? biggrin.gif
QUOTE(914bub @ Apr 12 2016, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Apr 12 2016, 06:14 PM) *

Until it was too late:

Click to view attachment

If your talking about me, I in NO WAY endorse old tires. I'm using mine in a VERY limited capacity. Being a 20 year automotive master technician this goes against all I was taught at De Anza Auto Tech. I use mine for less than a mile commute and I'm pretty sure given my racing experience I won't be spinning out of control with a tire blow out. at 25 MPH.

No I'm not talking about you. I was simply saying no matter what sort of excellent advice we post,. Your still going to a few that will not believe...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.