Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has tried to wrap their own steering wheel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
anybody ever try this? Wrap or re-wrap your steering wheel. And specifically this vendor?

Seems very reasonable and looks like quality stuff.

Hell at $46 you aren't out much even if you screw it up.

http://www.automotion.com/black-steering-w...poke-wheel.html
Tom_T
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 12 2016, 03:42 PM) *

anybody ever try this? Wrap or re-wrap your steering wheel. And specifically this vendor?

Someone had a "how to" thread on a re-wrap in the Garage forum IIRC a year or so ago, if you do a search. IIRC they just got the twine/thread & leather from Tandy & cut their own material.

If you do yours, you may want to do the felt underlayment for a bit more cushion & grippy & a tad bigger around rim diameter, like the option for that way at DSW on their recoverings (last I heard DSW was $180-250-ish).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Optimusglen

I've done it a number of times. One using a wrap like the one you linked (different vendor though), another cutting my own wrap, and a third by pulling the old leather and cleaning it and redying it (pictured below)

With the kit you linked it's very easy and not that tedious. Sit down on the couch with a show going or some music and just start in. Best to remove the steering wheel though, makes the whole process more enjoyable. Typically you remove the existing leather though, so if you screw up you're out more than the 48, I don't know how one could screw it up though.

IPB Image

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 12 2016, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 12 2016, 03:42 PM) *

Someone had a "how to" thread on a re-wrap in the Garage forum IIRC a year or so ago, if you do a search. IIRC they just got the twine/thread & leather from Tandy & cut their own material.

If you do yours, you may want to do the felt underlayment for a bit more cushion & grippy & a tad bigger around rim diameter, like the option for that way at DSW on their recoverings (last I heard DSW was $180-250-ish).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Dallas custom steering wheel is about $450 shipped for a thick grip leather wrapped wheel.
sfrenck
I used that kit last month. Not bad for something that cheap. Probably took me 6 hours sewing time spread over a couple winter weeks.

If I were to do it again, I'd get the kit for the 911 that had the extra layer of foam to make the wheel grip thicker. Read this one:

Steering Wheel recover
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 12 2016, 04:25 PM) *

I've done it a number of times. One using a wrap like the one you linked (different vendor though), another cutting my own wrap, and a third by pulling the old leather and cleaning it and redying it (pictured below)

With the kit you linked it's very easy and not that tedious. Sit down on the couch with a show going or some music and just start in. Best to remove the steering wheel though, makes the whole process more enjoyable. Typically you remove the existing leather though, so if you screw up you're out more than the 48, I don't know how one could screw it up though.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Congrats if you can wrap it that well. As for myself, I rather pay someone for their expertise for a project that is delicate as this.
dflesburg
everything you learn to do is another skill that separates you from the others.

women like men with skills... bow hunting skills and numchuck skills...
Optimusglen
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 13 2016, 06:11 AM) *

Congrats if you can wrap it that well. As for myself, I rather pay someone for their expertise for a project that is delicate as this.

It's really not delicate at all, and just about impossible to actually screw it up. It's like lacing a really tiny pair of shoes with lots of holes. But if you have the means to pay someone else to do it, go nuts.
Andyrew
Couple of this guys video's might help. He doesnt talk, his son posts and makes the video's but its very clear what he does. Note most of them are very long.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Cechaflo/videos

Im keeping this in my back burner for when I do my interior work. Should help a lot.
mepstein
I'm happy to pay Dallas for their good work but always impressed by what the guys on this site are able to accomplish.
jd74914
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Apr 13 2016, 05:54 AM) *

I used that kit last month. Not bad for something that cheap. Probably took me 6 hours sewing time spread over a couple winter weeks.

I used the 911 kit to recover my dad's 911's wheel a few years ago and it turned out pretty well. Actually, we thought it was fantastic for the low price. My recommendation is to break up doing it into a few sections and then it's not quite so tedious. The threading is actually pretty peacefully once you get used to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.