Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mirrors... I have an idea...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So, Thinking of the 300-400 buck option of the 968 style mirrors, and wondering if there is another option!

Then looking at some mirrors on ebay..

user posted image

It got me thinking...

user posted image

Cut off the part that the main body of the mirror is "attached" to... IE the two supports that the mirror has.

Then mold, or fiberglass the mirror directly onto the body of the 914.... so that its very flush and smooth. No sticking out or ricy looks to it. Just a simple, clean, cheap design...

I think its duable! I kinda want to try it!

What do you guys think?

Andrew
nebreitling
looks doable, might be kind of cool in a 'futuristic' way...

have you checked out the race mirrors at places like racerswholesale, though? pretty good prices -- even for c/f
Jeroen
make the triangular vent windows out of lexan and you can just bolt them on
ArtechnikA
i think that after you cut off the supports, you will have re-invented the 'Sebring' mirror from 30 years ago ...
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 30 2005, 06:56 AM)
make the triangular vent windows out of lexan and you can just bolt them on

Ditto smilie_pokal.gif
TC/914
Those are nice! What car/manufacturer did they come from? I could see them without the flat portions, mounted out on the fenders rather than the doors. I'd like a pair for myself.

jim_hoyland
Question: Can the trialgular vent wing glass be drilled to accomodate the mirrors ? They drill holes in rear windows for old style cell phone antennas ?
jasons
QUOTE (TC/914 @ Mar 30 2005, 06:28 AM)
Those are nice! What car/manufacturer did they come from? I could see them without the flat portions, mounted out on the fenders rather than the doors. I'd like a pair for myself.

Those are M3 knockoffs. They make them for almost all Jap or Korean cars, probabaly Cavaliers too.
Jeroen
QUOTE (TC/914 @ Mar 30 2005, 03:28 PM)
Those are nice! What car/manufacturer did they come from?

Looks like BMW M3 style mirrors
Most rice-shops sell them...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Mar 30 2005, 09:34 AM)
...Can the trialgular vent wing glass be drilled to accomodate the mirrors ? They drill holes in rear windows for old style cell phone antennas ?

tried that, many years ago.

shattered into a billion pieces. safety glass. crumbles.

$130 lesson (*just* the glass...) i won't try to learn again ...
greg.treadway
I prefer the 993 Aero mirrors which some call the 968 mirrors. I'm putting them on my car.

user posted image
fiid
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

mattillac
agree.gif IMHO, 914 is too squarish for those. doesn't look right. maybe if the car is flared out with and with air dams and stuff. wouldn't look right on a stock car tho. maybe.
msglaigaie
Cut off the part that the main body of the mirror is "attached" to

Hot looking mirrors. Yes, chuck the mounting plates. You could replace the triangle glass with a fiberglass fitted piece (matching paint) and use it as a new mounting plate. It is just a suggestion.
MSG L
dan10101
Matt, this is on a flared car.. lol

I would keep the stock mirrors if I had a stock body..

They are the m3 nock offs... 30 bucks on ebay...

Racers wholesale eh?

I might just have to try that lexon as well..Lexons cheap.. right??

Greg, not to be mean.. but I stated above that instead of 993/968 (they were factory on both cars)mirrors (which are 300-400 bucks....) I was looking for a cheaper/nice replacement...

Andrew
mattillac
ditch the mounting plates and get the mirrors with the built in turn signal flashers.
dan10101
why?

I think the turn signal things are gay.. especially if I have to wire them up... lol

I was gona get the turn signal thingys... Remove the turn signal and all the rest of the junk... fiberglass the hole over and fiberglass a mount for it and call it done!

mattillac
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Mar 30 2005, 11:52 AM)
why?

I think the turn signal things are gay.. especially if I have to wire them up... lol

I was gona get the turn signal thingys... Remove the turn signal and all the rest of the junk... fiberglass the hole over and fiberglass a mount for it and call it done!

put neon lights in the signal light hole instead! laugh.gif you're gonna have to put dual fart cans on your car if you get those, you know.

and $400.00 is way too much for those, BTW. check out the link...

ricer catalog online.
dan10101
ebay

55 shipped...

I was saying the 993/968 mirrors are 300-400...

Andrew
pjhaun
Here is a picture of that same side mirror on my car. This mirror also has the turn signals. All I did was to take off the adapter plate and glue ithe mirror on to the wing window. It has been glued on for last year or two, with on signs of coming off. I had it painted the same color as the car.
greg.treadway
Sorry. I must have misread. What do you think of the Californian Mirrors?

user posted image

Or Baby Turbo Mirrors

user posted image

Just a final thought.
Scott Carlberg
Andrew,
Don's Mobile Glass has the Lexan

and

I 'think' the Motorcycle mirrors with the Turn Signals built-in look pretty good, you ought to check them out!

Dave from GPR has those 993 mirrors on his 914, they look great!
soloracer
I was looking at the 968/993 mirrors too but decided on a couple of cheaper options. I bought a set of newer style Miata mirrors and mid 90's RX7 Mirrors.

soloracer
Here are the Miata's
soloracer
I also noticed that the C5 vette has some nice mirrors. Should be a few of those at the wrecking yard by now.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Mar 30 2005, 01:41 PM)
Sorry. I must have misread. What do you think of the Californian Mirrors?

user posted image

Or Baby Turbo Mirrors

user posted image

Just a final thought.

I like the Kaliforneah mirrors myself. Had them on my last six and will probably have them on this one as well.

jgiroux67
I just found these. I think they'll work out nicely, although I will get them in black instead.
Garland
Early VW Rabbit mirrors.
Garland
Other side
redshift
Look for a picture around here of the purple V8/ZF car... I like those mirrors.

Oh hey, I think they are Baby Turbos.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.