Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to me 1976 Porsche 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
I am in the process of restoring a 1976 2.0. Was my first car in the Air Force in 1990 while stationed in Europe, could not bring it back with me and missed one ever since. Right now the engine is out getting all the gaskets replaced. Has a little rust on the pan but nothing serious. The fenders have some bondo on them from rust, and there is some rust on the passenger door lower brace. I have ordered a set of full flared fiberglass front and rear fenders. Any tips to getting them on? I understand I need to use a Saws All and save some of the metal on the rear fenders to mold the fiberglass ones on. I had a spare trans I am having put in since it has a 2nd gear syncro grind issue. Right now has some ugly rims on it but getting my Riviera rims installed after I repaint them. I have a center console, car did not come with one originally, had to remove the stock steering wheel and replace with a Grant one that was smaller due to leg issues with the large OEM steering wheel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Click to view attachment
carcus
No making fun of the rims, came with them. I have clear turn signal lenses going on, yellow headlights like I had in Europe, and the center console with the 3 VDO gauges I had in Europe. Car had a blown out plug first week I got it from a bad helicoil. That has been repaired and sleeved. Has one seized caliper I need to get rebuilt and the right turn signals are not working but getting looked at. Ignition is getting upgraded with Moroso components to modernize it. Looking forward to the front and rear full flared fenders and the fiberglass rear trunk with duckbill. Should be back on the road next week. Hopefully the spare trans I got has not issues.
Tom_T
I would suggest against putting on the flares/fenders & hacking up a perfectly good body (assuming you can do or have done a proper steel rust repair where the bondo hack job is) on a nice "end of the line" 76 2.0 - & ,most look askance at FG Flares anyway - vs. the real steel! .... except for racers looking to cut wt.

You won't need them for Rivieras & most tires you'd put on them - & you can roll the fender lips if you need another 1/4 - 1/2" for clearance with any fat rubber.

You say it didn't come with a center console, but pretty much most all 76 2Ls did have them as an automatic extra cost option here in the US/Can, cuz Porsche+Audi & PorscheAG were trying to clear them out & the extra parts at the end of the line.

If yours has the combo fuel gauge with the narrow red band style Oil Temp gauge, then it may have been one of the few non-console 76s (all 76 MY were 2.0).

Otherwise, more likely that some DAPO took it out for more leg room &/or to use the center cushion as a seat. If so, you may want to consider getting one to put back in for the OE look & added voltmeter & clock to the center OT gauge.

Have Fun & Thanx for your Service! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

OH & welcome.png
Tom_T
QUOTE(carcus @ Apr 13 2016, 01:26 PM) *

No making fun of the rims, came with them. I have clear turn signal lenses going on, yellow headlights like I had in Europe, and the center console with the 3 VDO gauges I had in Europe. Car had a blown out plug first week I got it from a bad helicoil. That has been repaired and sleeved. Has one seized caliper I need to get rebuilt and the right turn signals are not working but getting looked at. Ignition is getting upgraded with Moroso components to modernize it. Looking forward to the front and rear full flared fenders and the fiberglass rear trunk with duckbill. Should be back on the road next week. Hopefully the spare trans I got has not issues.

Get all 4 calipers rebuilt/restored by Eric Shea at PMB (member vendor on here) if it's been parked for a while, or at least both sides of where the seized one is at - BEFORE you try to drive it.

Also replace all the rubber brake lines & fluid, check the caliper - if bad, then Eric sells the proper 17mm OE ones too - & ask him about the "19mm upgrade" if you're thinking along those lines, so he can set you straight.

We get out to CS occasionally to visit our son posted at Carson, so hope to see you zipping around by then! driving.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
carcus
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 13 2016, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(carcus @ Apr 13 2016, 01:26 PM) *

Get all 4 calipers rebuilt/restored by Eric Shea at PMB (member vendor on here) if it's been parked for a while, or at least both sides of where the seized one is at - BEFORE you try to drive it.

Also replace all the rubber brake lines & fluid, check the caliper - if bad, then Eric sells the proper 17mm OE ones too - & ask him about the "19mm upgrade" if you're thinking along those lines, so he can set you straight.

We get out to CS occasionally to visit our son posted at Carson, so hope to see you zipping around by then! driving.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks guys, I have to get the fiberglass done since the rot is pretty bad in the fenders, the doors also have rot. Much cheaper to get the fiberglass then to get the patches in and my first 914 had those fenders...this is a car for me, not for making money. Right now I am in $3200 for repairs mechanically and the body will have to wait. Taking it little by little. This is my 3rd personal car and a project car. After engine is good and fingers crossed on the replacement transaxle....moving on to brakes and steering, then body work.

My fair weather car is a new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6 speed, my winter car is a 2004 Jaguar X Type 3.0 AWD that needs some brake work also. Helped my son restore his 1991 BMW E30 325 convert. This car is going to represent my 914 EURO spec I had in 1990 while stationed in Italy. I am also going with the Martini theme eventually. Might just save some money for 5 lug Fuch conversion on brakes and rims...but now making it a driver.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

My Dad was Ret USAF and was in WWII on a B-24. Thank you for your service for our country.

Start with safety items first, drive it, and then performance, and then budget fairly aesthetics. These cars make dreamers out of all of us, and leave air in our wallets.
carcus
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 13 2016, 02:28 PM) *

I would suggest against putting on the flares/fenders & hacking up a perfectly good body (assuming you can do or have done a proper steel rust repair where the bondo hack job is) on a nice "end of the line" 76 2.0 - & ,most look askance at FG Flares anyway - vs. the real steel! .... except for racers looking to cut wt.

You won't need them for Rivieras & most tires you'd put on them - & you can roll the fender lips if you need another 1/4 - 1/2" for clearance with any fat rubber.

You say it didn't come with a center console, but pretty much most all 76 2Ls did have them as an automatic extra cost option here in the US/Can, cuz Porsche+Audi & PorscheAG were trying to clear them out & the extra parts at the end of the line.

If yours has the combo fuel gauge with the narrow red band style Oil Temp gauge, then it may have been one of the few non-console 76s (all 76 MY were 2.0).

Otherwise, more likely that some DAPO took it out for more leg room &/or to use the center cushion as a seat. If so, you may want to consider getting one to put back in for the OE look & added voltmeter & clock to the center OT gauge.

Have Fun & Thanx for your Service! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

OH & welcome.png

Fenders are wasted. Not worth saving. I might pick some spares up over the years. Yes, I know a final year model, but want it to be a driver, not a fully restored 914. I do not have the combo fuel gauge. Not sure if I have the Appearance package curved heater handle, I am assuming the center console will work if the heater handle fits. If not, I will delete the heater handle until I can get the proper angled one. Dash has no cracks, believe it or not. I have a new left window seal for the targa top and new wipers going on. Just waiting for engine to go back in and get it home so I can work on it. All new gaskets, plugs, wires, ignition. I got a used yellow period correct fog light switch but I have the square fog light block off plates. I intend to install fog lights later on and the switch. I understand the late model 914 is prewired for the center console and fog light addition. Only thing I am missing is the top steel bracket that goes under the dash to screw in the center gear shift console. Might just fabricate one.
SirAndy
Riviera's under full flared fiberglass front and rear fenders will look hilariously out of place. You'll be able to stick your head between the fender and the wheel.

You're going to need a seriously deep dish 4-lug wheel to fill those fenders. None of the standard 4-lug wheels will look correct.

I had a set of custom Centerline 7" wheels on my old 4-lug that worked very well with the GT flares.
idea.gif

IPB Image
Tom_T
QUOTE(carcus @ Apr 13 2016, 03:55 PM) *

My fair weather car is a new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6 speed, my winter car is a 2004 Jaguar X Type 3.0 AWD that needs some brake work also. Helped my son restore his 1991 BMW E30 325 convert. This car is going to represent my 914 EURO spec I had in 1990 while stationed in Italy. I am also going with the Martini theme eventually. Might just save some money for 5 lug Fuch conversion on brakes and rims...but now making it a driver.

I like your stable of wheels there, & your son's resto - & I'm still OO of our `85 325e 2dr E30 Coupe & DD it here!

If you don't have smog checks there in CO, you can can the USA/CA smog crap ((well box it & save it for future) & do that GC code 2L as a Full Euro spec with the flat top Euro P&Cs for 100+ HP - vs. the stock USA GC at 86 HP (CA was even less with the crapalytic convertor on it.

Add a set of the 73-74 SSI SS HEs with the larger diameter exhaust tubes (used $4-500-ish) & a Dansk 2L banana repro or other 2L aftermarket muffler so it will realize that 100 HP or more!

Andy is right about the cavernous wheel wells with stock-size Rivieras .... I was trying to be kind with saying you won't need flares. I'd bet you could find a solid parts car with rust-free OE steel fends eventually.

You may want to think of other wider oversize wheel options for your 1990 redux - shades.gif
.... & maybe some newer 16" `70s-90's 4-lug Porsche wheels from a 944/951/968 may be had for a reasonable price around you in CO ho fill out the flares properly!? confused24.gif

PS - or maybe some period correct VTO or other 15x7 or 16x7 8 spoke Minilight repros on there!?

IPB Image
^ those are 5-lug, but you get the idea of how they'd look on yours with flares.

Have Fun! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
carcus
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 13 2016, 05:05 PM) *

Riviera's under full flared fiberglass front and rear fenders will look hilariously out of place. You'll be able to stick your head between the fender and the wheel.

You're going to need a seriously deep dish 4-lug wheel to fill those fenders. None of the standard 4-lug wheels will look correct.

I had a set of custom Centerline 7" wheels on my old 4-lug that worked very well with the GT flares.
idea.gif

IPB Image

Not worried about the looks with the Riviera rims and the fender gap. Going for 1911 rims and brakes in the long run. With a 450HP Mustang.....wide meats on a 914 are really not a immediate concern of mine. Cutting the rust all out of the fenders and replacing with fiberglass are. The fenders I have shipped do not flare out that bad to need big meat.
carcus
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 13 2016, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(carcus @ Apr 13 2016, 03:55 PM) *

I like your stable of wheels there, & your son's resto - & I'm still OO of our `85 325e 2dr E30 Coupe & DD it here!

If you don't have smog checks there in CO, you can can the USA/CA smog crap ((well box it & save it for future) & do that GC code 2L as a Full Euro spec with the flat top Euro P&Cs for 100+ HP - vs. the stock USA GC at 86 HP (CA was even less with the crapalytic convertor on it.

Add a set of the 73-74 SSI SS HEs with the larger diameter exhaust tubes (used $4-500-ish) & a Dansk 2L banana repro or other 2L aftermarket muffler so it will realize that 100 HP or more!

Andy is right about the cavernous wheel wells with stock-size Rivieras .... I was trying to be kind with saying you won't need flares. I'd bet you could find a solid parts car with rust-free OE steel fends eventually.

You may want to think of other wider oversize wheel options for your 1990 redux - shades.gif
.... & maybe some newer 16" `70s-90's 4-lug Porsche wheels from a 944/951/968 may be had for a reasonable price around you in CO ho fill out the flares properly!? confused24.gif

PS - or maybe some period correct VTO or other 15x7 or 16x7 8 spoke Minilight repros on there!?

IPB Image
^ those are 5-lug, but you get the idea of how they'd look on yours with flares.

Have Fun! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom T. The Riviera rims are just a temp solution, got the set for $280 locally. They will replace the horrible rims that are on it right now as a temp solution. The fenders and rear deck lid will be in the basement till I get the money to fix the brakes and other issues with rust and body work.
Larmo63
There is a lot of knowledge here that you might want to take into consideration. Fiberglass flares grafted onto metal is a value killer. Narrow wheels with flares looks stupid. Your car doesn't look that bad in the first picture, why not wait for a nice set of 4 lug Fuchs, Pedrinis, or Mahles, while you do your mechanicals?

We are all trying in a nice way to warn you that you might be going in the wrong direction.

And, welcome.png
Cuda911
Gotta agree with the above comments. Personally, I love the looks of Rivieras, but not on a flared car. Of course, pix can be misleading, but I can't see why you can't just bondo up those fenders some more, rather than fiberglass flares. Also, lots of guys here come across good parts cars that can provide new fenders for a very reasonable cost. As you say, it's your car, so do as you please. I'd opt for no flares.
PancakePorsche
I loved my 76 I sold last year. I swapped out the ECU, distributor, and injectors to 74 units because the 75/76 was a leaner burn system for EPA, which was responsible for the higher operating temps. Ran like a real good 74 and still easily passed CA smog even with a "stock appearing" CAT.

I say 5 lug it, slightly roll rear fenders, and 7" wide cookie cutters ! would look tits up with the white color.
Welcome !
Matty900
Fenders are wasted. Not worth saving. I might pick some spares up over the years. Yes, I know a final year model, but want it to be a driver, not a fully restored 914. I do not have the combo fuel gauge. Not sure if I have the Appearance package curved heater handle, I am assuming the center console will work if the heater handle fits. If not, I will delete the heater handle until I can get the proper angled one. Dash has no cracks, believe it or not. I have a new left window seal for the targa top and new wipers going on. Just waiting for engine to go back in and get it home so I can work on it. All new gaskets, plugs, wires, ignition. I got a used yellow period correct fog light switch but I have the square fog light block off plates. I intend to install fog lights later on and the switch. I understand the late model 914 is prewired for the center console and fog light addition. Only thing I am missing is the top steel bracket that goes under the dash to screw in the center gear shift console. Might just fabricate one.
[/quote]
I picked up a fender a few weekends ago and it needed as much work to get it right as just patching up the one I already have.
The reason it was damaged was the car sat for 23 years and when they went to drive it the bearings seized and the wheel came off splitting the fender.
Went to Eric at PMB and got new bearings brakes and suspension all the way around for it, to keep that from happening again.
welcome.png
carcus
I do appreciate all your inputs. I have the new glass parts that were delivered today in the Colorado snow storm. The guy who molds them in Cali is a good guy and be built the crates perfect. We checked all parts for any stress cracks and all are fine. They have seams in the fenders that will be filled by a body shop. These parts will wait in my basement until I have the money to get them on. Right now, engine and trans are the main issue. Right now in $3200 with engine, trans, and ignition upgrades. As far as issues with the wheels, they make spacers to make them fill the gap between the flares...but the Riviera rims are just for me to get rid of those nasty rims in the picture and when I get the fenders on.....will swap to 5 bolt and 911 Fuch replicas.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
carcus
Again, the Riviera rims will be on to replace the ones in the original pictures. This is a work in progress. Right now making the engine and transaxle fine for a daily driver and dealing with rust repair over the long time, then paint. I just want a roller to enjoy. The car brings me back to 1990 in Europe when I got a GT rep. This is a pleasure and pain project and it will take me years to get it where I want it. The car will be personal to me and the way I want to make it. I had a red one as my first. I am kinda feeling this white now. I have a center appearance package console going in and need some new door panels. Seats need new coverings and I need the square front fog lights to replace the block out panels. My intentions are to make this a daily driver and part time track car. Just want the fun back. Out here in Colorado, this is a strange car to most.

And please, I mean ZERO disrespect to this forum. But this is a personal nostalgia project that I am all in on. I appreciate ALL advice on this car and the wisdom of the forum but do not want to offend anyone. This car is my own personal build and the design and where I am going might change day by day.......but I do have an end goal. What it all boils down to.....I just want a fun car again with all simple stuff and this is a project car. Right now, mechanics, trans, electrical, rust repair and body work....step by step. Then suspension, brakes, appearance. I just want it running again so I can enjoy it while I work on it little by little. I thing the 356/912/914 owners all feel the same about these cars. Yes, most are rusted out, need body work, wiring after 40 years is trashed...but the youth you get back in one of these cars......PRICELESS.
Coondog
Good luck on your dream project. Keep us updated with photos..... smile.gif
Cairo94507
welcome.png and good luck with your project. This can be a road with many twists and turns. beerchug.gif
carcus
Thanks all, I really appreciate your combined knowledge and this forum. The people are great and the pictures give me many ideas. The journey will be long but will love every minute of it. I know I am in good hands with all of you helping me on the way also.
Tom_T
QUOTE(carcus @ Apr 17 2016, 02:28 AM) *

Out here in Colorado, this is a strange car to most.

Check that! ..... let's say "unique" .... & attention grabbing! piratenanner.gif

Enjoy the nostalgia build & fountain of youth! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.