Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axles in before or after engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Hi All,

I asked a variant of this question a month ago but never got a consensus answer.

Engine is ready to go back in car, just have to mate it to the tranny.

I have the rebuilt trailing arms back on the car. Stub axles attached to new CV / Axle assembly but not yet in the trailing arm.

Should I install the axles into the trailing arms before or after putting the engine back in? If axles first, do just tie them up when lifting the engine in place?

Maybe it makes no difference but seems like if I do it backwards I will be kicking myself.

Thanks,

Mike
EdwardBlume
Every install I've done had the axels installed in the TAs already and hooked upward out of the way with a wire hanger.

If they can be installed after though, that would seem easier. Just not typical, and you need to find out from someone who has done that.
malcolm2
yes it is easier to do them after.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 13 2016, 07:03 PM) *

yes it is easier to do them after.

Any tricks to installing them afterward. (for example, put them in before hooking up transmission linkage bar).

It does not appear that the trailing arms themselves would be in the way although I can still easily take them off if that makes sense.

Thanks,

Mike
pilothyer
To save a lot of swearing, and a lot of why didn't I, Install them before the engine transaxle assembly.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Apr 13 2016, 09:35 PM) *

To save a lot of swearing, and a lot of why didn't I, Install them before the engine transaxle assembly.

"Them" being the swing arms or the axles?

Maybe I should set up a poll (haha).

Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
I would install the axles first, just because there's less in the way and the axles can slide straight in. Installing the axles with the trans in place can be challenging to get the dowels to line up due to the angle of attack.
toolguy
I zip tip a piece of 1/2 conduit across the top of the rear springs, then use coat hanger to wire the inner CV's up to that. . holds them out of the way until the motor and trans are in and secure. . . That makes it a lot simpler rather than trying to keep them out of the way. .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.