Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Belt Retractor Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
When I quickly pull the passenger side belt, it locks up normally. When I give the same quick pull on the driver side, there is no lock-up

Any quick fixes out there ?
mobymutt
Mine did the same thing -- I found out it was missing one of the internal bits. Quickest fix was getting a whole new one.
Elliot Cannon
I do NOT trust inertia reel seatbelts. As you can see. laugh.gif
Mike Bellis
Let the spring out. poke.gif
Darren C
Sounds like the ball, toggle lever or pawl is stuck.

You need to take the bulkhead trim off to reveal the mechanism. (plenty of posts on here of how to do this)

Unbolt the belt mechanism and take it off the bulkhead for easy access. You can either take the whole thing out or sit in the car and fix it in your lap.

Now the most important bit.

The belt reel has two end caps. Shallow and deep.

DO NOT take off the shallow end. This houses the spring and you'll be in a whole load of hurt if you do.

The deep end houses the lock mechanism. There's a weight arm or ball bearing usually inside (depending if the PO has swapped out for a different brand)
This ball or weight should be free to roll within its cup. This moves the toggle lever arm up and down, which should be free to move also.
The toggle lever arm pushes the pawl in and out of engagement with the gear wheel on the end of the reel.
All parts should be very free to move.
When testing you need to hold the assembly vertical and level as it would be when in the car otherwise its prone for the ball (or weighted lever in the other design) to start to lock up your belt. (this is why sometimes if you park on a steep hill or camber you cant easily pull the belt out)

Chances are it just needs a clean and a little light oil.
LowBridge
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 13 2016, 10:54 PM) *

where did you get the cross bar? I have not been able to find one for my car
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Darren C @ Apr 14 2016, 05:01 AM) *

Sounds like the ball, toggle lever or pawl is stuck.

You need to take the bulkhead trim off to reveal the mechanism. (plenty of posts on here of how to do this)

Unbolt the belt mechanism and take it off the bulkhead for easy access. You can either take the whole thing out or sit in the car and fix it in your lap.

Now the most important bit.

The belt reel has two end caps. Shallow and deep.

DO NOT take off the shallow end. This houses the spring and you'll be in a whole load of hurt if you do.

The deep end houses the lock mechanism. There's a weight arm or ball bearing usually inside (depending if the PO has swapped out for a different brand)
This ball or weight should be free to roll within its cup. This moves the toggle lever arm up and down, which should be free to move also.
The toggle lever arm pushes the pawl in and out of engagement with the gear wheel on the end of the reel.
All parts should be very free to move.
When testing you need to hold the assembly vertical and level as it would be when in the car otherwise its prone for the ball (or weighted lever in the other design) to start to lock up your belt. (this is why sometimes if you park on a steep hill or camber you cant easily pull the belt out)

Chances are it just needs a clean and a little light oil.

Great info ! Thanks smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Apr 14 2016, 05:32 AM) *

I think I bought it about 12 years ago. I wish I could remember where. I think it was Performance Products in Van Nuys California who unfortunately are not longer there. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Apr 14 2016, 05:32 AM) *

Try these guys. http://www.automotion.com/weltmeister-harn...-1969-1998.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.