Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting hood and decklid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
So The Turtle has some hail damage on the hood and decklid.
Not too bad unless you really look for it, but bad enough that it bothers me.
I have sourced another hood and decklid that are currently at the blaster to get blasted and primed.
The originals will be displayed on the garage wall.
I called my paint guy and he wants $800 to paint them to match the original Willow Green.
$800!!
I can paint all one color, but nothing spectacular.
So maybe I can paint the new ones a flat black? Or some other color?
Dont really trust my limited skills to paint to match the rest of the car.

What do you guys think?
Eat the $800?
Keep shopping around?
Paint myself in some contrasting color?
What color?

Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
Shop around, that price is ridiculous.

Mismatched colored lids don't look very good IMO. And if you DID do it, your options are to either do satin black and look odd, or do some random color a'la a certain English Porsche collecting homeless man who is very enthusiastic about his signature touches

[drops mic]
DullWitch
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 14 2016, 03:58 PM) *

Shop around, that price is ridiculous.

Mismatched colored lids don't look very good IMO. And if you DID do it, your options are to either do satin black and look odd, or do some random color a'la a certain English Porsche collecting homeless man who is very enthusiastic about his signature touches

[drops mic]

But then you'd need to get a saw out to cut some louvres on your front fenders...
Geezer914
Had a friend, who is an auto body painter, do a hood, trunk lid, 7" rear spoiler, and 2 side scoops for $250. I did all the prep and prime and supplied the paint. $800 sounds like he does not want to be bothered unless you really make it worth his time. Shop around.
BK911
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 14 2016, 09:52 AM) *

What color?

Surprised nobody jumped on this yet. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
That price really means "I don't want to bother with it". I would just keep looking. When you talk to a shop tell them you are not looking for concours level work. Tell them the hoods are blasted and primed. I would think $500 is a realistic price to do it right.
mepstein
Sorry but I don't think the $800 is out of line. Materials are probably half that. It's going to take time for him to prep, paint, clean up. He's got to make a couple bucks profit to stay in business. Scotty b or Rick are a better judge of cost than me but if he does a nice job, he should get compensated for his work. Right?

Rediculous? We are talking about $800 to paint body panels, not $8k.
jor
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 14 2016, 09:14 AM) *

Sorry but I don't think the $800 is out of line. Materials are probably half that. It's going to take time for him to prep, paint, clean up. He's got to make a couple bucks profit to stay in business. Scotty b or Rick are a better judge of cost than me but if he does a nice job, he should get compensated for his work. Right?

agree.gif
At least around Los Angeles, this would be a competitive rate at a good shop.
JRust

agree.gif . I paid 2k to get my passenger side repainted to match after my wreck. Guy was amazing & matched a tough color perfectly. Was it cheap? Hell no but I left happy & would use him again in a heartbeat
mepstein
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 14 2016, 12:27 PM) *

agree.gif . I paid 2k to get my passenger side repainted to match after my wreck. Guy was amazing & matched a tough color perfectly. Was it cheap? Hell no but I left happy & would use him again in a heartbeat

Finding people you can use again is priceless.
BK911
Thanks guys.
Starting to feel a little better about this.
Have a few more spots around the car to touch up.
May take the car in and let him have at it.
He did another car for me and does awesome work.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 14 2016, 12:43 PM) *

Thanks guys.
Starting to feel a little better about this.
Have a few more spots around the car to touch up.
May take the car in and let him have at it.
He did another car for me and does awesome work.

I think that's a good idea. $800 for a guy that you're already happy with seems like a good deal. Around here it's around $600 per panel. Another option is get a hail damage guy. They work wonders without having to repaint.
rhodyguy
8 bills sounds reasonable me too. Poo pooing the price when one has a friend that would do the work for less doesn't count.
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif Materials is probably close to half of that. Then, you're paying not only for labor but his expertise. I've painted a few cars, but matching colors is definitely best left to the professionals.

You could also vinyl wrap them temporarily if fundage is a problem. Looking at maybe $80 in vinyl, and you could do it yourself. Flat panels are easy.
rhodyguy
Color matching a door on my legacy was going to run $900ish. That's with me taking the door in and doing everything except paint. I bought a complete car in the correct color. Way cheaper.
r_towle
Fair price.
I gave my guy a front fender, headlight surround and front bumper, $800 bucks and he matched it close enough for me, it's my harlequin 911 with 15 shades of metallic blue
KELTY360
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 14 2016, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 14 2016, 09:52 AM) *

What color?

Surprised nobody jumped on this yet. biggrin.gif

OK, I'll bite. If you paint both lids yellow then your car would be half fast. shades.gif
thelogo
I spent 700 for just the door

Guy is the best at what he does , penske ,runsak etc

Take it to him when theres no insurance claim .

So you get what you pay for
Larmo63
I'd be thrilled with $800.00 to paint those.

Any other color is going to look dufus IMHO.

championgt1
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 14 2016, 11:24 AM) *

agree.gif
Ferg
If its just hail damage with no broken/scratched paint, why not paintless dent repair?
Optimusglen
QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 14 2016, 01:44 PM) *

If its just hail damage with no broken/scratched paint, why not paintless dent repair?

Very good point.
BK911
QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 14 2016, 01:44 PM) *

Don't know.
That's why I come to you guys!
Time for some phone calls!

beerchug.gif
Ferg
A good Paintless Dent removal guy should handle it no problem. But they are not all good, and working on a early thick steel car like a 914 is a challenge.

Call around, and I bet both trunks run you less than 3 bills
rhodyguy
Tiny hijack. Piece on the news about fixing all the hail damaged cars due to recent weather. Some areas are backed up until the fall. Up to 4" in diameter. Windows exploding and cars getting absolutely hammered.
thelogo
QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 14 2016, 12:00 PM) *

A good Paintless Dent removal guy should handle it no problem. But they are not all good, and working on a early thick steel car like a 914 is a challenge.

Call around, and I bet both trunks run you less than 3 bills

Just make the distinction that talented pdr guys can work miracles

As long as the paint !!! It self is not screwed up

If paint sawzall-smiley.gif is damaged then you should avoid paintless dent removal
Cuda911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 14 2016, 10:24 AM) *

+914

Personally, I hate different colored hoods or body panels, except in rare instances. Smells of buying panels from a junkyard, and too cheap to paint.

Spoke
I bought some PPG paint a couple years ago. A quart of paint, reducer, and hardener. Cost me over $150.
EdwardBlume
Seems to me that if you want to rattle can it off to something else, the hail marks shouldn't bother you.... I agree with getting a quote from a dent guy. At the end of the day, your car is worth something, either to you, or the next guy. beer.gif
BK911
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 15 2016, 06:39 PM) *

Seems to me that if you want to rattle can it off to something else, the hail marks shouldn't bother you.... I agree with getting a quote from a dent guy. At the end of the day, your car is worth something, either to you, or the next guy. beer.gif

The next guy will be the one who buys it from my estate. About a dozen or so 911s and 356s have come and gone but I still have the 914!!! The hood dents don't bother me; in fact I kinda like them because it doesn't bother me to drive the piss out of the car. Just thinking of taking the car to the next level.
Larmo63
"They can pry my 914 from my cold dead hands!!!!"
BK911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 15 2016, 08:53 PM) *

"They can pry my 914 from my cold dead hands!!!!"

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.