Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring Rate Opinions Experience
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
So looking for opinions before a final wheel alignment.

Here is the setup I currently have:

Front-

Boge inserts
Stock torsion bars
Newly installed stock swaybar
Newly installed turbo tie rods.

Rear

Boge shocks

? Springs- believe stock. -This is about the only thing on the suspension I haven't touched.

Open to opinions. At this point I haven't driven the car and am thinking that the car may oversteer much since the rear rate is unknown and should consider the rear before the alignment.

Most say to up the rear spring rate.

I am looking for at least a comfortable ride with firm handling characteristics.

Thoughts from the Collective?

I found this thread which was helpful but am looking for real world experiences.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=128658

As Always Thanks in Advance,

Rob

r_towle
In my opinion the stock (70-80) or replacement (100) are not enough for the car.
The progressive 140 lb springs are the best all around.
914_teener
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 14 2016, 12:19 PM) *

In my opinion the stock (70-80) or replacement (100) are not enough for the car.
The progressive 140 lb springs are the best all around.

Thanks Rich.......

That's what I am hearing from some of the guys out here.

That's the shits as now as sounds like I need to go with a different shock set up in the back as the Boge perches are not adjustable. Correct?

AZ914
I tend to agree. For the street, the 140lb springs give some added stiffness while not killing the ride quality (for a 914).
Justinp71
Your front is how I have been running my car for years and I really like it. Even on the track I found it good with a 19mm sway bar.

When my car was a 2.0 four a/x car we ran 180lbs on the rear, might be too much for a street car? not sure...
r_towle
140 lb springs are available in stock diameter, so they will fit the stock perches.
The springs I have seen are shorter than the stock springs, so using the rear shocks you have will lower the car, which in my opinion should happen anyways to get a good stance.

I have 180 lb springs and now that auto cross is no longer it's single purpose I will get 140 lb springs because I find the 180 lb just too harsh for our roads and my teeth.

Rich
ConeDodger
There are lots of factors. One size does not fit all.

What engine? Mine is a 3.2 six and I use 225# rears. When it was a 2436 four, I used 200# rears. When it was a stockish 2.0, I used 140# rears.

Another factor is how much you weigh.

Rear swaybar is a matter of preference. I do run one on the track, but disconnect it for autocross.

If you use either Elephant or needle bearing bushings, you can run just about any springs as the cars shocks will now be working without 40 years of stiction.

I like the stock front torsion bars with a Tarrett adjustable swaybar. Nice and smooth...

The basic answer of 140# will do you just fine for street driving though...
siverson
For my stock 914-6 2.0, with 185 tires and normal ride height, I like 100# springs in the rear.

For my street/track 3.6/915 conversion I thought it handled much better going up from 225# to 300# rear springs, but it's not nearly as comfortable.

-Steve
RoadGlue
My car is 1.9L 4 banger and is setup for auto-x/street. Stiffer torsion bars, Koni Sports, big sway bar and the 180lb springs are a perfect compliment to the rest of the setup.

Now that being said, I ran the Koni's w/ 180lb springs few months on my very bone-stock street car and it had so much oversteer that it was silly fun dangerous to drive.
914_teener
Ok...yes sorry, additional info:

2056 so.....125 lbs torque...or thereabouts.

tires are currently 205's with rolled fenders.

To me it looks like the springs in the rear are sagging. I have never replaced them so they are most likely stock.

As always....you find stuff out sometimes by making mistakes. Much didn't occur when I redid the rear suspension first. Back assward. Should have done the all the suspension at one time.

Thanks for the opinions.
EdwardBlume
140s for street / AX. Used to see 165 progressives but never tried them.
saigon71
I upgraded my sagging stock springs to new 100lb springs over the winter on my street car. I really like the ride and feel of the car on the street with Billsteins.

Running a 2056.
6freak
whatever you do to the back you must do to the front or you will kill the handling of the car
180lbs rear springs on mine and 22MM bars,,good luck
MikeC
rhodyguy
100#, koni red ext adjx4, adj perches on the back, stock torsion bars, stock f/r anti sway bars. Balanced, supple, and a dream on the road.
Elliot Cannon
I use 19mm torsion bars and have had 165 progressive springs in the rear. Good handling, stiff ride. biggrin.gif 2.2 liter type IV. driving.gif
Geezer914
Rear, #140lb. springs, no sway bar. Front, stock torsion bars, and 19mm front sway bar. Bilstein shocks all the way around.
914_teener
Is anybody using custom valving? This makes the shocks non- linear.

Leaning heavily towards Billys.
914_teener
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 15 2016, 09:33 AM) *

Is anybody using custom valving? This makes the shocks non- linear.

Leaning heavily towards Billys.

Ok....just wrote the check to the IRS...then pulled the trigger on the Billies sports. Progresive springs and adjustable perches with 150 lb 2.5 inch springs.

Gonna also spring for adjustable droplinks in the front.

Onward

Thanks everyone for the replies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.