Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing the fuel pump from a '73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
napasteve
After installing Tangerine Racing SS fuel lines, my fuel pump quit working (I'm pretty sure it's the original pump on my '73 2.0). So I'm going to replace it with a Bosch 69133.

My question is how do I get the old fuel pump out? The nut holding the fuel pump bracket on is frozen to the bolt and the bolt seems to be inside rubber vibration dampener as seen in the pic below:

Click to view attachment

Can I just cut away at the rubber mount? It's already cracking, which given its age, is not surprising.

Any suggestions for a non-mechanic?
pete000
You have to get to the nuts on the other side of the body in the engine compartment. They are pretty far down in the hell hole. Battery needs to come out to make some extra room to get down there. More than likely they will be fused on and will require grinding the nuts off to let the fuel pump drop down.

You can see the two holes from where the fuel pump mounts in the hell hole area in the pic provided.

The pump including the bracket and rubber mounts is installed and removed as a single unit easiest. (Other Pic provided)

Have you tried tapping it with something to see if it is just stuck. Sometimes they spring to life with a tap or two !
napasteve
Thanks Pete for the reply.

After posting, I looked at the parts manual and saw that a M6 nut was holding the pump on. I googled to find that that means a 10mm socket is needed. I used a 10mm deep socket and got aggressive and bingo the nut came off and the pump is out.

Unlike your picture Pete, my pump was held on by only one bolt coming out of the rubber shock absorber.

Next question: there appears to be a brown wire and a black wire going to the pump. Which is + and which is -. (Black is usually - aka ground, correct?)

914_teener
QUOTE(pete000 @ Apr 14 2016, 04:08 PM) *

You have to get to the nuts on the other side of the body in the engine compartment. They are pretty far down in the hell hole. Battery needs to come out to make some extra room to get down there. More than likely they will be fused on and will require grinding the nuts off to let the fuel pump drop down.

You can see the two holes from where the fuel pump mounts in the hell hole area in the pic provided.

The pump including the bracket and rubber mounts is installed and removed as a single unit easiest. (Other Pic provided)

Have you tried tapping it with something to see if it is just stuck. Sometimes they spring to life with a tap or two !

Nice looking parts.

I get ten demerits from the wife for putting Teener parts in the kitchen though.

Doesn't matter how nice I think they look.
Larmo63
Brown is (almost) always ground on your car.
napasteve
Thx Larmo, on closer examination the wire I said was black is may actually be red covered with black grease/grime.
ClayPerrine
The wires to the fuel pump are black with a red stripe (positive) and brown (negative).
napasteve
Got it Clay. Thanks.
pete000
The rubber mounts have threaded studs on both ends. 10mm nuts on each end.

Good thing is the rubber mounts are still available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.