Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shifting problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
Car is painted, rebuilt in areas needed, and now is the time to straighten out the gremlins. Two major gremlins immediately pop up: One head light assemble stays up and is not working (prior time was working) and the shifting which is the major item.

The shift is completely rebuilt including the transaxle (Doc Evil) with all new parts. the universal, pins, bushings, etc are all new. I used brass bushings in the firewall and back at the transmission. The shift will go into low and first when engine is not started; it was going under into all the other gears statically. With engine running and engine is warm, the shifting does not want to go into any gear. If you try to shift into reverse, it heats the gear dead-on wanting to grind; low gear does not go into gear as well as the other gears (2-5) do not want to enter any gear slot. The gear shift does not want to go into any gear when trying to place the shift into any gear slots with the engine running.

A hydraulic clutch has been added and seems to be moving the clutch fork correctly and working properly. Adjusted to be within the fork throw distance and the hydraulic cylinder max. movement. I do not think this is the problem.

The only other item I am running which most cars do not have are the heat exchangers from 911 Carrera. The shift rod goes down a tunnel I made. Worked fine earlier. Will look at the clearances on the shift rod and the tunnel to make sure everything clears.

The car is a 911 Carrera 3.2 liter engine with a 901 transaxle (built by Doc Evil); engine mounts in the front are 911 Carrera (new) and transmission solid epoxy mounts. Everything is rigid enough not to cause any problems.

What do I need? I would like someone to go over all this background and see if the shift adjustment is out. I really need help on this since 2016 WCR is a round the corner.

Make sense?? Tried to give everything that could affect shifting so people can venture forth with so suggestions, etc. WTF.gif
jcd914
If I understand what you describe:
It goes into gear when it is not running.
Does not go into gear when it is running and wants to grind.

This sounds like it is probably the clutch not disengaging all the way.

I would be looking close at your hydraulic clutch system, mis-adjusted, air in the system, etc.

Jim

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.