Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914rubber replacement dash vs NOS Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric9144
I finally had a chance to get my 914rubber replacement dashboard and the NOS Porsche replacement dash that I've had in my parts stash for years out, to compare them side by side. I think many people probably have wondered how they really stand up to each other and like me you may be surprised.

I have to commend 914rubber--honestly their dash is closer to the OE dash in my car, than the NOS Porsche dash, but don't take my word for it, the pictures speak for themselves.

THANK YOU 914rubber! beerchug.gif first.gif

First, the dash in the car (note texture):
Click to view attachment

Side by side, 914rubber in front, NOS Porsche in back:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
IPB Image

Hard to believe the NOS is that far off from the factory original. I just got my Mikey914 dash and I agree, it's a great product.
porschetub
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Apr 15 2016, 06:44 PM) *

IPB Image

Hard to believe the NOS is that far off from the factory original. I just got my Mikey914 dash and I agree, it's a great product.

Marks products are great....well all know that beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Cool. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 15 2016, 04:55 AM) *

Cool. beerchug.gif

The 914Rubber part certainly weighs a good deal more than the original, which I think is worthwhile. Solid product, AND I got a free pencil sharpener.

worn
[quote name='dlkawashima' date='Apr 14 2016, 10:44 PM' post='2330859']

What is that clip from? I missed it.
worn
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 14 2016, 07:43 PM) *

I finally had a chance to get my 914rubber replacement dashboard and the NOS Porsche replacement dash that I've had in my parts stash for years out, to compare them side by side. I think many people probably have wondered how they really stand up to each other and like me you may be surprised.

I have to commend 914rubber--honestly their dash is closer to the OE dash in my car, than the NOS Porsche dash, but don't take my word for it, the pictures speak for themselves.

Yeah, but I have gained a lot of wrinkles during that time too. So how old is that NOS piece? Maybe we should give it some slack.
eric9144
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 15 2016, 09:29 AM) *

Tommy Boy
eric9144
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 15 2016, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 14 2016, 07:43 PM) *

Yeah, but I have gained a lot of wrinkles during that time too. So how old is that NOS piece? Maybe we should give it some slack.

That dash was bought in the early '80s and put on a shelf, I bought it from that person maybe ~5yrs ago and was absolutely GIDDY to have picked it up for $600 at the time.

The overall texture is a little more pronounced than the 914rubber (and factory) dash--I know there were several runs of Porsche dashes and that they varied a bit in texture but for the 914rubber dash to be nearly exact, well... I know which one I'm putting on and which one is staying in a box.

To the other comment, YES the 914rubber dash is heavier by a bit, but that's a result of how they made it--the OE dash was a foam core with a skin, the 914rubber dash is molded over a subframe, but as such, will likely outlast the OE dash by design alone.
boxsterfan
The NOS piece looks like it is dried out. However, credit is due to 914Rubber for making a FANTASTIC replacement!!

beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Don't drop the NOS dash. It might shatter! BTDT... sad.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 15 2016, 09:29 AM) *

Really? Go get a 6 pack, a bag of peanut M&Ms, watch the movie and report back.
eric9144
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 15 2016, 03:15 PM) *

Don't drop the NOS dash. It might shatter! BTDT... sad.gif

NOS dash is in great shape, not dried out, nearly as pliable as the 914rubber dash.
Mikey914
Thanks guys, as you know it took us many months to get this right. The dash is molded from a NOS OEM 1st run dash (thanks Ken) Talk about unobtanium. We had the choice to digitize the pattern and make it completely uniform, which is what a another vendor did. We chose to cast the dash EXACTLY. This means that it has some of the imperfections as the originals had vinyl sucked into the mold then foam inserted beneath. The original process slightly distorts the vinyl pattern which you can see in the one we made. There are other small imperfections that would give each dash a slightly different look. If you look at brand X's you can see the pattern is actually too uniform, which is a dead give away it's a repro.
Rob-O
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 16 2016, 10:52 AM) *

Thanks guys, as you know it took us many months to get this right. The dash is molded from a NOS OEM 1st run dash (thanks Ken) Talk about unobtanium. We had the choice to digitize the pattern and make it completely uniform, which is what a another vendor did. We chose to cast the dash EXACTLY. This means that it has some of the imperfections as the originals had vinyl sucked into the mold then foam inserted beneath. The original process slightly distorts the vinyl pattern which you can see in the one we made. There are other small imperfections that would give each dash a slightly different look. If you look at brand X's you can see the pattern is actually too uniform, which is a dead give away it's a repro.

And it's THAT attention to quality that makes me comfortable buying Mark's products every time I have a choice between brand x and a 914Rubber part.
JRust
I've got mine but have yet to put it on. I will before WCR though. I can't wait biggrin.gif My new dash is beautiful drooley.gif
mb911
I think it's time to sell my perfect oem dash and replace it with 914 rubbers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.