user posted imageuser posted image
Auto and manual reverse lockouts:
user posted imageuser posted image
Linkage connections:
user posted image
Adjustable shift throw:
user posted image
john rogers
Hummm, looks really good. I still love my original one, but I'd test one of these at the road race in Tecate MX in 3 weeks??!!
JWest
QUOTE (john rogers @ Mar 30 2005, 11:03 AM)
Hummm, looks really good. I still love my original one, but I'd test one of these at the road race in Tecate MX in 3 weeks??!!

Umm...no. I have waiting list a mile long - none to spare right now! smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
drew365
What kind of trade in deals you offering? biggrin.gif
They do look very nice. Good work.
Aaron Cox
what are they selling for this time around?
tat2dphreak
what are they selling for this time around?

what they ^^^ said... very nice, a great improvement, it looks like!

the adjustable throw is a GREAT idea!! smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
How does this affect those who want the vintage look?
JWest
QUOTE (drew365 @ Mar 30 2005, 11:26 AM)

I've had a lot of begging for the old versions - which I have no more of - so there should be a good market to unload the old ones (classifieds). The issue is that there is a wait to get the new ones right now (I need about 5 more of myself so I can work faster).

The price for the new one is $470 - there are no options except tail vs. side shift. You get both auto and manual reverse lockouts and they all have the same finish (knob not included but available for $32).

The price is about the same as the old shifter with reverse lockout and polished stick added in.
Aaron Cox
-gulp-

dang...i need one... must sell a kidney first sad.gif

stock knob will fit?
double-a
incredible looking product, looking forward to getting mine. does the shift boot come with it?

~a
JWest
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 30 2005, 11:53 AM)
How does this affect those who want the vintage look?

I worked very hard to keep the diameter of the housing as small as 3" in order to fit the stock console side (still needs the trim plate hole enlarged). I simply can't get it any smaller with the desired features.

One way to get a subtle look is to use the '73 and later 911 shift boot - not 914 original but "Porsche looking" (and cheap).

Also, the stock knob can be used.
JWest
QUOTE (double-a @ Mar 30 2005, 11:59 AM)
incredible looking product, looking forward to getting mine. does the shift boot come with it?

~a

Yes, the boot pictured comes with it.
echocanyons
Will a stock knob fit on these?

Will these work with the 915 as well as the 901 in a 914?

Can I get on the list?
Ferg
WOW, looks great james, My 3.2 is now running with just the fine tuning remaining... As soon as my bank account recovers, this will be the first on the upgrade list. smilie_pokal.gif
Ferg
JWest
QUOTE (echocanyons @ Mar 30 2005, 12:06 PM)
Will a stock knob fit on these?

Will these work with the 915 as well as the 901 in a 914?

Can I get on the list?

The stock knob does fit.

The shifter also works with the 915. The reverse feature can be positioned in the left-front or right-rear quandrant to match either 901 or 915 shift pattern.
azbill
Jim
Have you shipped my yet - looking forward to it
JWest
QUOTE (azbill @ Mar 30 2005, 12:41 PM)
Jim
Have you shipped my yet - looking forward to it

I'm finishing it today...
JmuRiz
Niiiice, I have to try out Justin's orriginal version. I kept missing the 4th to 3rd downshift at my last track day...totally got on my nerves! I have a feeling I'll be adding my name to the waiting list.
i love porsche
driving.gif mueba.gif this summer i should be ordering one of these !!!
scottb
how long is the waiting list (weeks/months)?

do you need a deposit?

if there is a good time window, i could sneak enough $ away without the wife catching on and end up with one of these in the car!!!!

brant
Thats Beautiful James.
you are an asset to the community.
nice job

sjhowitson
Has anybody installed one of those shifters? How did it go? Street or track use. I want one bad wub.gif
carr914
James, I got mine today and it will go in tomorrow. I think mine is the 4th one made so it might be a race to see if mine is the 1st installed. I'll post pics as soon as I can.
T.C.
JWest
Chris Foley was the first to install. Who will be the first to post pics, though, 'cause that's what really counts!
skline
Well, If I had one I would install it right now. I am done with work today and am ready to work on the car. What a beautiful day it is outside. I think I will get a lot done. Too bad I dont have a new Rennshifter to install. James biggrin.gif
JWest
QUOTE (scottb @ Mar 30 2005, 05:47 PM)
how long is the waiting list (weeks/months)?

do you need a deposit?

if there is a good time window, i could sneak enough $ away without the wife catching on and end up with one of these in the car!!!!

No deposit. The first batch is probably sold out, and it's about 2 months until I can fill any new requests.
carr914
Damn, that was quick. I try on the pictures but I have to leave for Daytona tomorrow afternoon.
T.C.
JWest
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 30 2005, 06:46 PM)
Well, If I had one I would install it right now. I am done with work today and am ready to work on the car. What a beautiful day it is outside. I think I will get a lot done. Too bad I dont have a new Rennshifter to install. James biggrin.gif

Alright Scott, I'm putting you on my list, but it's NOT a list you want to be on... cool_shades.gif happy11.gif
Gint
I'm confused James. How do I order one? Your Rennshift page does not have an "add to cart" button. If they are two months out, I need to go ahead and order now.
JWest
At this point I'm not making it obvious. I did have an e-mail link on the web page but I took that down (you can still get to it on my contacts page).

I would like to get to the point of having shifters on the shelf to deliver when ordered, and the long list is not helping, so I only want those who really mean it to contact me at this point.

I do not want to take people's money until I have something to deliver in a timely manner (like a week or less), so the list is just an "interest list." When I get to your name you will be directed on how to order, if you want to at that point.
Gint
OK. I really mean it. Does that help? Am I cctually on "the list" now? If not, please let me know what else I need to do.

I'm not in a rush, but I don't want to be sitting around ready to roll in 4 months and find myself waiting for a shifter because I didn't get on a list early enough. Your shifter has been in my plans since the first one came out.
airsix
James,
You should be very proud of your work. Thank you for sharing your talents with the 914 community.
-Ben M.
Elliot_Cannon
Hi James,
I bought the old shifter at last years WCC and love it. How much better is the new one? Is it worth upgrading to the new one? Will you bring any to this years WCC?
Cheers, Elliot
ppickerell
I volunteer to be the first norcal pic poster for this product. As someone who has been in the machining biz for 30 years, I am duly impressed by the worksmanship. Will keep you all posted as to performance!
MattR
If anyone has a hand-me-down old rennshift I'll take it rolleyes.gif

It looks sweet, I just cant fork out the money. I have friggen tuition...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (James Adams @ Mar 30 2005, 06:44 PM)
Chris Foley was the first to install. Who will be the first to post pics, though, 'cause that's what really counts!

I put it in while at Jake's shop,but didn't get it adjusted until I was in the car (un)ready to go out for qualifying. wacko.gif
Pete worked hard to eliminate slop in the rest of the linkage but I still had some problems with missed shifts during the race. Mostly I think it was because I had it positioned too far away for quick engagement into 4th and I ended up in neutral instead. I used the lower pivot for less throw reduction. This weekend I will use the upper pivot position instead.
There is probably more adjustments I need to do to get it in just the right position for all gears too.
JWest
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 30 2005, 11:49 PM)
OK. I really mean it. Does that help? Am I cctually on "the list" now? If not, please let me know what else I need to do.

I'm not in a rush, but I don't want to be sitting around ready to roll in 4 months and find myself waiting for a shifter because I didn't get on a list early enough. Your shifter has been in my plans since the first one came out.

I'm not trying to make this difficult, it's just that the response has been quite outstanding and I'm trying to accomodate my customers as best I can.

Gint - consider yourself added.
JWest
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Mar 31 2005, 07:05 AM)
I put it in while at Jake's shop,but didn't get it adjusted until I was in the car (un)ready to go out for qualifying. wacko.gif
Pete worked hard to eliminate slop in the rest of the linkage but I still had some problems with missed shifts during the race. Mostly I think it was because I had it positioned too far away for quick engagement into 4th and I ended up in neutral instead. I used the lower pivot for less throw reduction. This weekend I will use the upper pivot position instead.
There is probably more adjustments I need to do to get it in just the right position for all gears too.

Chris, sorry I didn't have any instruction to go with yours - they were not written yet.

You should try the heavier springs (gold stripe) - there are spacers to go under the springs to fine tune the feel. A little lighter on the 4/5 side (that's the left spring) is better ergonomically because it is harder to push that direction than pull toward you for R/1.

Also, pull out the stick to change the pivot - there are bushings inside so you can't just swap the bolt.

You do need to get used to pushing over to 4th, but it makes the 2nd and 3rd gear shift so much better that it is worth any learning curve.

JWest
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 31 2005, 12:49 AM)
Hi James,
       I bought the old shifter at last years WCC and love it.  How much better is the new one?  Is it worth upgrading to the new one?  Will you bring any to this years WCC?
              Cheers,   Elliot

Shift feel is quite similar to the original - I've just added some extra features while I was back at the drawing board. I don't think it's worth changing unless one of the new features really interests you.

I'm not going to make it to WCC this year (good thing, since I have so many shifters to build wacko.gif ), but there will be a shifter there to give away!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (James Adams @ Mar 31 2005, 08:12 AM)
You should try the heavier springs (gold stripe) - there are spacers to go under the springs to fine tune the feel. A little lighter on the 4/5 side (that's the left spring) is better ergonomically because it is harder to push that direction than pull toward you for R/1.

Also, pull out the stick to change the pivot - there are bushings inside so you can't just swap the bolt.

You do need to get used to pushing over to 4th, but it makes the 2nd and 3rd gear shift so much better that it is worth any learning curve.

Thanks James,
Those are all things we figured out. We installed the heavier spring and a spacer for the 1-2 side before the race. I think the main problem right now is the adjustment of the splined shaft, and I want to try the shorter throw as well.
I wanted a set of instructions before we started the install but it really didn't take long to figure out the correct assembly.
I'll have another report in a few days. smile.gif
jtf914
Looks great James! smilie_pokal.gif

So there is no option for the hand throttle anymore? (I guess I could make the cut myself)

-Justin

tat2dphreak
I'll be glad to take an old one off someone's hands if they are getting the new one... otherwise, put me on the extended list james... maybe in 4-6 months I can swing the 5 bills... after Brandi gets a job... wink.gif and the car actually moves out of the garage once in a while... biggrin.gif
JWest
QUOTE (Justin Fischer @ Mar 31 2005, 09:24 AM)
Looks great James! smilie_pokal.gif

So there is no option for the hand throttle anymore? (I guess I could make the cut myself)

-Justin

No, there was limited interest and the slot would be pretty easy to add.
Qarl
I have a new Rennshift (version one) with polished base, and 30% throw that I have not installed.

Honestly... It's just been sitting in a glass display cabinet. It is as new. I have the the installation CD-ROM, mounting hardware, and the stiffer centering spring.

I would be interested in selling it to someone on the list for a bit of savings. I believe pricing was $395.00 plus $30 for the polished base plus S/H. I will let it go for $400.00.

PM me if interested.

I can do Paypal.
carr914
Finally a picture of mine.

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.