Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: FWD Drifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
So I'm on another board talking about my FWD car and the subject of drifting came up. I contented that you really cant drift a FWD car.

Well thats what I thought until I saw this video ....LOL

http://www.myf4c.org/temp/cv4.wmv

I still dont understand the sport. Hey any 914 drift video's out there?
mattillac
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 30 2005, 08:31 AM)
Hey any 914 drift video's out there?

MR-2's pretty close.
ArtechnikA
any car can be made to oversteer, especially if (as in the case of that video) you are willing to lock and flatspot the rear tires by using the handbrake...
Demick
I saw a video one time of some guys in a parking lot going in reverse and then turning the front wheels to try and spin out. They kept going around and around in circles in reverse. Looked stupid and I couldn't figure out what they were trying to do. Then all of a sudden it hit me - they wanted to do donuts but had a FWD car - so they were trying to do it in reverse.

Ha Ha, didn't work too well.

Demick
Aaron Cox
that was soooo lame. e brake drifting......

real drifts are power induced oversteer.....
jasons
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 30 2005, 09:53 AM)

What he said exactly!
Demick

Uuuuhhhhhhh, the only way most 914's are going to be doing any drifting anytime soon is with the aid of an e-brake.

Actually, I take that back - most 914 e-brakes don't work well enough to induce a drift!

Ducking for cover....
Demick
grantsfo
QUOTE (Demick @ Mar 30 2005, 10:30 AM)

Uuuuhhhhhhh, the only way most 914's are going to be doing any drifting anytime soon is with the aid of an e-brake.

Actually, I take that back - most 914 e-brakes don't work well enough to induce a drift!

Ducking for cover....
Demick

I'm thinking the V8 conversion guys may have a new sport biggrin.gif Maybe WCC 2006 we could include a V8 drift competition. Its about time we catch up with the cool car crowd scene.
Aaron Cox
or run big springs and a rear sway bar with no fornt bar..... oversteer like crazy....
Brett W
I was thinking the other night, as some ricer went by, a 911 with a V8 would be a perfect drift car. Nothing but power on oversteer and easy to control with the motor hangin' out the ass end.
Dave_Darling
Hey, with my completely-bald tires, I can get power-on oversteer in the first 2 gears easily! --In the rain...

--DD
Rand
easy to control with the motor hangin' out the ass end

Really? I thought the threshold between controlled slide and 180 is much tighter on a rear-engined car?? Maybe just my experience, but I've found front-engined (RWD of course) cars easiest to control slides in. I'm in this forum to learn from everyone's experience though, so I'm curious about this...

Mueller
Really? I thought the threshold between controlled slide and 180 is much tighter on a rear-engined car??
....oh yea....just a few weeks ago I accidently did a 360 while attempting to do a U-turn at the intersection 2 houses away from my house...heavy assed 911, plus cold tires and a little too much gas....equals sideshow MDB2.gif

I'm sure the Mustang 5.0 guys up the street thought I was trying to challange them or something....glad it night time and pretty late, I was actually embarressed about looping the car like that....
Rand
laugh.gif
No wait... it was a perfect 360, and you smoooooothly powered out of it in a nice fluid motion, right? Never say accidentally - you were just showing off!! The Mustang guys were just wishing they could pull of a move like that! Now they are afraid of that 911!
Rand
Hey, with my completely-bald tires, I can get power-on oversteer in the first 2 gears easily! --In the rain...

biggrin.gif
I say we put that old recycled engine oil to good use and rig up a couple drip lines/valves... one into the exhaust tip for smoke screen, and another onto rear tires for drifting!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.