Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hirschmann antenna
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zonedoubt
I have read that the Hirschmann antenna (AUTA-2040) is a bit taller than some of the other antennas that were installed on 914's.

Can someone post a photo of their car with the Hirschmann antenna extended?

Thanks!
Yoei66
I jest installed one last night. It dose seem a bit (international unit of measure) taller than some other 914 antenna's I've seen, but very nice quality & fit. Mine is the retracting, so the height can be adjusted to your desire. I'll post a photo when I get home from work today. Car is sleeping at home.
bd1308
if i may ask....where is the *standard* place to put a 914 antenna. I have a hirshmann and it wont fit (doesnt look like it)......my antenna is over the right wheel-well front
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 30 2005, 12:50 PM)
where is the *standard* place to put a 914 antenna.

wherever the dealer's line mechanic chose to stick his drill on that particular day. 100% of radios were installed by dealers or perhaps a very few by the area distributor.

put it where you like.
zonedoubt
My antenna (not working) is located on the right rear fender. I haven't seen one like that yet.
Allan
Mines actually on the drivers side front fender.
CptTripps
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 30 2005, 01:05 PM)
Mines actually on the drivers side front fender.

Mine too...well, that's where it USED to be.

I'm going to satelite radio (Sirius) so I don't need one-a them no more.
Rand
Mine is also drivers side, but I'm thinking about shaving it and going satellite too.

CptTripps: Where are you going to mount your satellite antenna? They are small enough to go about anywhere, but they have to be outside, right? Would they work good enough under the expanded metal of the engine lid, or do they need a completely unobstructed sky view?
bd1308
QUOTE (RandyLok @ Mar 30 2005, 12:41 PM)
Mine is also drivers side, but I'm thinking about shaving it and going satellite too.

CptTripps: Where are you going to mount your satellite antenna? They are small enough to go about anywhere, but they have to be outside, right? Would they work good enough under the expanded metal of the engine lid, or do they need a completely unobstructed sky view?

actually thats not entireally accurate...i have a firend with XM that mounted his antenna inside the car.........works just fine smile.gif
Rand
Hmm... Hey Britt, Is your friend's on the dash or completely inside? My GPS works great on the dash, but not on the seat because it loses satellite reception under the roof.
jim_hoyland
Sat Antenna: Been using XM for about two years now;the antenna has a magnetic base and sits on the dash. The metal under the vinyl really holds it in place. What a difference !
Yoei66
[QUOTE]

Zonedoubt:

I guess my Hirschmann antenna is a differnt model than what you were asking. Mine is a "HIT AUBA 770 BW". It is a black extending antenna PEL. Part #PEL-330. At full extention is measures 33", not the 39" advertised on the box. It is taller than I perfer, when it is fully extended. There are four extending sections. I plan on only extending the botton three, and retracting the fourth back into the third. See pictures...
P.S. there is a shadow from the antenna on the garage door.

Yoei66

33" tall, full extention
Yoei66
Three bottom sections: 25" tall extention...
VegasRacer
I've got a Hirschman antenna on my car. I don't know the model #.
I just went out and measured and it is 35" when extended and has 5 sections.

What else can I tell you (or photograph) to help?
zonedoubt
Yoei66: Thanks for the photos. That gives me an idea of what it'll look like on my car.

Is your particular antenna model an electric type? If so, how can it be set up to extend only the bottom three sections?

rick 918-S
I hate fender mounted anntena's. They look like such an after thought.

unsure.gif Like ooops we forgot the antenna for the blasted radio!

mad.gif Quick! put one on!

unsure.gif All I have is this one! the cable is kinda short!

mad.gif Well just drill a big nasty hole on the front fender! It will fit there! cool_shades.gif

I wish Porsche would have sprung to the wire in the glass trick. sad.gif The 916's had em smile.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 31 2005, 09:44 AM)
I wish Porsche would have sprung to the wire in the glass trick. The 916's had em

yes, but --

radios were not standard equipment on tbe 914, which was supposed to be the entry-level car. 916's were hardly entry-level economy cars, and i have little doubt they didn't come with customer-specified radios - the whole car was customer-specified.

there's nothing to keep you from retrofitting a 916 windscreen now :-)
CptTripps
I was planning on putting it behind one of the side-grills for the engine. Like the one over the battery. It's a skinny little bugger, it should fit just fine.

To test it, I put one of my engine grills over the one I use in the office. I think it's still out there. biggrin.gif

Yoei66
[QUOTE]

Zonedoubt:

No, my antenna is not a electric model, it is manual. To extend the bottom three sections I pull it all the way up, then push the top section back into section below it.

Yoei66
CptTripps
The POS parts car I just got had the antenna in an interesting position...

user posted image
VegasRacer
My Hirschman power antenna installed in the left fron wheel well.
VegasRacer
Antenna down.
VegasRacer
Antenna up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.