Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door won't open from inside!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPA914
Anybody have any ideas? I took the door panel off and I can see the linkage move the latch up a bit when I pull the interior handle, maybe just doesn't move it far enough? I tried lubing the latch but no change.
stugray
You have likely broken the plastic piece on the door handle.
They are cheap and can be purchased from Pelican parts.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...P_pg2.htm#item8

This usually happens when they get old OR if you leave the door lock 1/2 way engaged and pull the outer door handle.
JPA914
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 16 2016, 02:13 PM) *

This usually happens when they get old OR if you leave the door lock 1/2 way engaged and pull the outer door handle.

I thought that piece was to fix a door that won't open from outside. Mine won't open from inside.
URY914
Opening the door from the inside has nothing to do with the outside handle. You can remove the handle and it will still open from the inside.

You may need to adjust the latch post.
JPA914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 16 2016, 02:42 PM) *

Opening the door from the inside has nothing to do with the outside handle. You can remove the handle and it will still open from the inside.

You may need to adjust the latch post.

How is this done?
stugray
QUOTE(JPA914 @ Apr 16 2016, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 16 2016, 02:13 PM) *

I thought that piece was to fix a door that won't open from outside. Mine won't open from inside.

Yes you are right. Sorry.

I have had both. Best is to completely remove the latch mechanism and clean it up very good. Lube and reinstall.
r_towle
If I recall correctly, there are plastic bushings in the handle and the latch that the rod snaps into and it keeps the rod from falling out.
I seem to recall one of mine still looked good but the middle bushing broke so when I pulled the inner handle it did not move the latch far enough to open the door anymore.

The fix was get new plastic bushings, I had spare doors so I stole them from the spares, not sure if they are available at the dealer.
rmdinmd
Had similar issue with mine. If you look very closely you might notice that the inner handle has cracked where it pivots and doesn't work properly anymore. replacing it was the only fix that worked for me.
JPA914
QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Apr 16 2016, 05:45 PM) *

Had similar issue with mine. If you look very closely you might notice that the inner handle has cracked where it pivots and doesn't work properly anymore. replacing it was the only fix that worked for me.

The handle is fine, it pivots and moves the linkage, which in turn I can see moving part of the latch up. If something was broken, I don't think the latch would move at all. Probably just needs a bit more lube than I gave it.
McMark
The screw that holds the chrome trim can interfere if it's too long. Pull that out and see if the handle works.
JPA914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 16 2016, 07:45 PM) *

The screw that holds the chrome trim can interfere if it's too long. Pull that out and see if the handle works.

What "chrome trim" are you referring to?
rmdinmd
QUOTE(JPA914 @ Apr 16 2016, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Apr 16 2016, 05:45 PM) *

The handle is fine, it pivots and moves the linkage, which in turn I can see moving part of the latch up. If something was broken, I don't think the latch would move at all. Probably just needs a bit more lube than I gave it.

Mine moved but not enough, had to pull it and look very closely. but it might not be your problem, just sharing my experience.
URY914
QUOTE(JPA914 @ Apr 16 2016, 06:02 PM) *

The plastic "cup" piece that is behind the handle on the door. You have to pull the handle to see the screw head. Sometimes they are black and not chrome.
JPA914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 17 2016, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(JPA914 @ Apr 16 2016, 06:02 PM) *

The plastic "cup" piece that is behind the handle on the door. You have to pull the handle to see the screw head. Sometimes they are black and not chrome.

Already mentioned that I had the door panel off. Besides, my trim is black biggrin.gif
URY914
OK wise guy. You want my help or not?

If you put the screw back in without the having the black cup in place the screw will be extend too far in and the door will not unlatch.
JPA914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 17 2016, 07:49 PM) *

OK wise guy. You want my help or not?

If you put the screw back in without the having the black cup in place the screw will be extend too far in and the door will not unlatch.

Ha, sorry if I came off as a wise guy. I don't believe I put the screw back, but I'll check.
JPA914
Ok, time to eat some crow smile.gif

Turns out that I HAD put the trim screw back, causing the handle to not swing enough to open the door. Funny, because every other bolt, washer, nut, etc. that I've taken off this car has been put in a labeled plastic bag huh.gif . Door opens fine now. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!
SirAndy
QUOTE(JPA914 @ Apr 21 2016, 01:49 PM) *
Ok, time to eat some crow smile.gif
Turns out that I HAD put the trim screw back, causing the handle to not swing enough to open the door. Funny, because every other bolt, washer, nut, etc. that I've taken off this car has been put in a labeled plastic bag huh.gif . Door opens fine now. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

owned.gif biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
URY914
shades.gif bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.