Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinion on GT fiberglass fenders and quarters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moorepower
What are peoples opinions on the Fiberglass GT fenders and quarters. I really like the look, but I have not seen any up close, nor probably will I in Nebraska. I am not building a race car, but just love the looks of the car of the month!
914Sixer
Not a fan of Fiberglass, spend the $$$ and get the steel ones.
Wdunster
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 16 2016, 05:12 PM) *

Not a fan of Fiberglass, spend the $$$ and get the steel ones.

I completely agree! welder.gif Night and day difference in the end.
Tom_T
FG ones will hurt your car's value, & unnecessary unless you're building an ultralight racer IMHO!

I personally thing that the factory style flares in either steel OE or repro or FG & CF are Fugly!

Look at Ethan's Blue -6 conversion for some nicely flared stock fenders that look sleek like the original narrow body, but will accommodate the wider tires/wheels - which is the only reason the add flares anyway (you can run 195-205 narrow body BTW).

It was also featured in Panorama or Excellence last year too.

PM or email Ethan directly for the how to's.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
shoguneagle
My rolling chassis has fiberglass flared fenders which house 9in in rear and 7in in front (rear: 245/50ZR17; front: 205/50ZR17). I personally like the look but I would not add them to a stock complete car. These cars are too good looking and value has started to increase on them.

My car is a rolling chassis that I brought back from the auto graveyard. I will eventually convert my car from the fiberglass to the metal flares. The main reason - rust develops under the fiberglass in the areas and methods of how they are attached. In my case, I wanted to save another 914 and build a "hotrod" 914. I have done this a second time and the car is a keeper for enjoyment with the 914world events.

Steve
mbseto
I've thought that fiberglass would be a good way to bring back a car that is too far gone to restore to stock. Although the consensus here seems to be that those cars should be scrapped, I think there are also some that enjoy the process of building. If that's you and you're going for a high power-to-weight, why not?
dflesburg
if its a race car - fiberglass

if its a street car - do steel.

better yet, just leave it narrow and save your money for a good engine and trans... then enjoy it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.