Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
catsltd
Was bleeding brakes after installing new bearings and when wife was pumping brakes I noticed they got harder and harder to rotate the wheel.
Even after releasing the brake the rotor was really really hard to turn.

After a short drive rotor was getting really hot,Also other front rotor was hot as well just not as hot as the other one.

I gather it could be the calipers or the Master cylinder.

Note: car was sitting for 15 years,maybe buying some good rebuilt calipers would be a good place to start.????.

Any trouble shooting clues would be awesome.

I checked play under the floor mats and there is slack in brake pedal assemble,also replaced brake lines and new bleeders,but thats all I got figured out.

porschetub
QUOTE(catsltd @ Apr 17 2016, 11:39 AM) *

Was bleeding brakes after installing new bearings and when wife was pumping brakes I noticed they got harder and harder to rotate the wheel.
Even after releasing the brake the rotor was really really hard to turn.

After a short drive rotor was getting really hot,Also other front rotor was hot as well just not as hot as the other one.

I gather it could be the calipers or the Master cylinder.

Note: car was sitting for 15 years,maybe buying some good rebuilt calipers would be a good place to start.????.

Any trouble shooting clues would be awesome.

I checked play under the floor mats and there is slack in brake pedal assemble,also replaced brake lines and new bleeders,but thats all I got figured out.

Sounds like the pistons in the calipers are sticking,try removing them retracting them fully, refit and then pump the pedal,they may free up...just watch your fluid level doing this...it will rise dry.gif .
Over time the pistons get gunked up in the bores and the seals don't allow the pistons to retract.
If this works I would also change all the fluid with a powerbleeder,after 15 yrs it will be really crappy.
Failing that due to safety concerns I will most likely go thru the whole system and rebuild as required,just not worth the risk sad.gif .
stugray
Front flex lines get old and the liners swell.

This blocks the brake fluid from leaving the caliper.
With high enough pressure it can go in, but cannot get out.

That is more likely than sticking pistons.
TheCabinetmaker
What Stu said. Replace them all with like hoses. Not braided.
porschetub
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 18 2016, 04:32 AM) *

Front flex lines get old and the liners swell.

This blocks the brake fluid from leaving the caliper.
With high enough pressure it can go in, but cannot get out.

That is more likely than sticking pistons.

I thought this to start with but OP suggested he had replaced brake lines..presume he meant hoses confused24.gif .

mgp4591
Another common issue when removing and reinstalling the caliper is to twist the hose when bolting it back up. I know that short hoses usually prevent this from happening but you may want to check anyway - that would be a quick fix if it's the case. If not, everyone else has already come up with the answers. Good luck and don't get squirted in the eyes with brake fluid! blink.gif
catsltd
Bought the car last year,car always had a loud howling after high speed driving.
Assumed it was bad bearing.

So replaced bearing,pads,New hoses and rotors.
Over tightened bearings,so figured that was still my problem so replaced them again last week.
Still had howling thus the thread.
Noticed while bleeding front calipers were grabbing even after brake pedal was released.
Soooooooooooooooooo.I ordered new rebuilt front calipers,they will be here in a couple weeks,hopefully they will fix the problem.

Really wanted to order some PMB front rebuilt rotors but with the exchange rate and core charge I just coulnt do it.

Decided since the car is down Ill do my pushrod tube seals,adjust rockers,and replace noisy exhaust manifold with some that are still solid,so be prepared for more questions .

Thanks for the help.
Ill let everyone know if it fixed the problem.
colingreene
how do you rebuild rotors?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.