Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uhh-Ohh….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
914_teener
....ok...I get it now.

This forum is a forum for you Forrest to personally jibe and rib your friends.

Got it.

Think it was Stalin who said keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

In the future I.ll stay off your threads so as not to Hijack them as a courtesy to you Forrest.

forrestkhaag
Again, your honor,... leading.

Teener is correct in his view.

I offer my clear and unabridged apologies to Larmo and all others that I have replied to over the years and particularly for the unabashed hijack of this thread. I should be ashamed.

I am woefully remiss in wasting the valuable time of Monday afternoon World surfers in offering humor, experience and opinion interspersed in my musings on a site that should only be used for singular pointed and focused comment directly addressing the original opening topic of that thread.
WTF.gif was I thinking?

Last post. (....as the British say when facing a potential defeat)

porschetub
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 2 2017, 11:03 AM) *

I offer my clear and unabridged apologies to Larmo and all others that I have replied to over the years and particularly for the unabashed hijack of this thread. I should be ashamed.

I am woefully remiss in wasting the valuable time of Monday afternoon World surfers in offering humor, experience and opinion interspersed in my musings on a site that should only be used for singular pointed and focused comment directly addressing the original opening topic of that thread.
WTF.gif was I thinking?

Yes you are a bad person....really ???,I personally don't give a FF about what people decide is a hijack with exception,if you had asked why your window didn't go up and down I would call that a hijack because its not related,lets not get to the level that Pelican gets to @ times,forrest you should go to the naughty corner poke.gif slap.gif even though I think you are entertaining mostly stirthepot.gif .

euro911
Seems like some folks are just getting irritated over piddly shit these days - must be something in the air confused24.gif

Like I mentioned earlier, the crow's foot - I'm almost 100% sure that Steve will let you borrow his
wndsnd
Or,

I put a cover in my Fender using quarter turn fasteners. Now I can get to that nut whenever I want with a proper wrench.

I gave up trying to get something in there ...

But then again, it's a conversion and I am not a concours type .......

Nor, much of a fabricator biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
euro911
thumb3d.gif
Function over fashion
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Steve @ May 1 2017, 05:59 AM) *

I copied this guys tool from an old thread.
I could only get a 1/4 of a turn out of it, before having to flip it over to get another 1/4 of a turn.
Worked great though!!

Click to view attachment

Made one from a cheap box end wrench...fClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 1 2017, 05:52 PM) *

Seems like some folks are just getting irritated over piddly shit these days - must be something in the air confused24.gif

Like I mentioned earlier, the crow's foot - I'm almost 100% sure that Steve will let you borrow his

My tool is also metric. Not that hard to make one. Just get an AN-16 equivalent crows foot and grind it down until it fits. Harbor freight has crow feet or worse case buy there open end wrench set, cut off the handle and put a square hole in it for the extension. That's what I did, but I used a metric open end wrench, cut off the handle, drilled a hole, grinded out the sides to make it square and then ground down the sides until it fit the opening. Same thing as the previous post, but i used the other end of the wrench.
Larmo63
My engine oil cooler went to Rich Johnson for evaluation and remedial circumcision, reconfigured to fit a 914-6.

The unit I sent him was a leaker, so he provided a known good, solid (expensive) replacement. Now I know that part of my build is reliable. I'd hate to install my engine and have to try to remove that back off of the engine while it's installed. stirthepot.gif

The leaker got sold off to Sweden. The Swedish are clever, but maybe not THAT clever. smile.gif

Forrest: Tortoise and Hare, once again.
McMark
Oh man, I love 914World drama so much. wub.gif
Steve
QUOTE(McMark @ May 2 2017, 05:16 AM) *

We are all disfunctional friends down here in the Orange Curtain of So Cal. So it looks like thread hikacking, but it's actually harassment on who can get there six conversion running first.
sb914
QUOTE(Steve @ May 2 2017, 06:05 AM) *

We are all disfunctional friends down here in the Orange Curtain of So Cal, so it looks like thread hikacking, but it's actually harassment on who can get there six conversion running first.

agree.gif grouphug.gif bootyshake.gif
Larmo63
My conversion will be done when it is done. I'm in no race or hurry. That seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

I never dreamed it would take this long, but due to finances, parts, and construction, it still seems a ways off.

I am getting ready to tear the heads off to do a little porting work. So it goes.
McMark
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 2 2017, 12:02 PM) *
I am getting ready to tear the heads off to do a little porting work. So it goes.

You're going backwards.
AZBanks
You should be ashamed. Send me your car and $5000 and all will be forgiven.

Then, don't do it again. This is a serious place where we talk about serious topics with serious people, seriously. Frivolity is not to be tolerated.

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 1 2017, 04:03 PM) *

WTF.gif was I thinking?

Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 2 2017, 09:02 AM) *

My conversion will be done when it is done. I'm in no race or hurry. That seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

I never dreamed it would take this long, but due to finances, parts, and construction, it still seems a ways off.

Good!! Take your time and do it right. They are never done. At some point they are just driveable.
euro911
WHEN ???

laugh.gif
Larmo63
I've been talking to a well respected 911 guy who thinks that 32mm intake ports on my heads are akin to NASCAR restrictor plates.

Is it worth the time and money to open up the heads to 36mm and flow my manifolds? (now shorter ones)
euro911
Depends.

How much $ will this cost you?

What's the benefit in HP and torque?

Will you be racing the car in NASCAR events?

poke.gif
falcor75
Flow might be important for engines that live at WOT most of the time...like Nascar engines... I think your engine will be more helped with higher airspeed in the inlet ports, helping response and low rpm driveability...

Dont fall into the "Airflow is everything"-hole...
McMark
Why don't you install the engine, get it running, and then decide if it doesn't have enough power. You've already got a list of work to do, why add more on speculation? If you wanna try it again later you can pull the motor in an afternoon.

Pros: A Bit More Power
Cons: Spend more money. Spend more time. Risk losing motivation. Risk a neverending cascade of "while you're in there" (twin spark, cam swap, etc)

In my book, port work sounds like an adventure for another day.
TVRLOTUSTR3
Depends on cams T & E cams like small ports early S & Solex like large ports.
Steve
I ran a stock US 2.7 S motor with Weber's and 1 5/8" headers and was very happy with it. Even the factory RS 2.7 only put out 220 hp and that was with mechanical injection.
If you can change the cams, I would install solex cams. They work the best with carbs. If the motor needed a valve job, then I would look into improving the heads "while your in there". Otherwise the motor stock should run fine and will be a huge difference over stock four.
Beach914
QUOTE(Steve @ May 2 2017, 06:05 AM) *

We are all disfunctional friends down here in the Orange Curtain of So Cal. So it looks like thread hikacking, but it's actually harassment on who can get there six conversion running first.

Anyone that beats on Lawrence needs to come and talk to me. I think he exorcised his demons on to me as I now have two sixer projects going. He's making great progress and gets plenty of fun harassment from his OC 914 friends. We all want him to succeed and get to driving his car again.
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 2 2017, 05:56 PM) *

I've been talking to a well respected 911 guy who thinks that 32mm intake ports on my heads are akin to NASCAR restrictor plates.

Is it worth the time and money to open up the heads to 36mm and flow my manifolds? (now shorter ones)

Larmo,

I consulted the Porsche 911 Engine God "Bruce Anderson" RIP. According to his bible, (1st,2nd and 3rd edition). He recommends 40 IDA 3C webers, 911 E cams, European Carrera RS pistons and cylinders and increase the ports to 36mm in diameter. Straight 911 2.7 has 32mm ports. Interesting that he says the 911S and Carrera motors had 35mm heads. My motor was a US Carrera motor, so who knows... but it was a fun motor until it started pulling head studs after 150k miles of abuse in my younger years.

Since I have the first, second and third book, your welcome to borrow the 1st or 2nd revision. The performance section of the book is all the same info for 2.7 motors, between the 3 revisions. Great info and every six person should have the book. Bruce is a legend and taught rebuild classes for most of his adult life.

I agree with Mark's comments though. If it's a lot of money and time, I would try the motor the way it is. Not that hard to remove the motor later for improvements or a bigger motor.....
GeorgeRud
My 2.7 in the conversion car was put together per Bruce Anderson's book, but eventually pulled a head stud (even though we had used Timeserts in the case). When I had Henry Schmidt at Supertec rebuild the long block with Casesavers and his head studs, he used a S cam profile and his other magic tweaks. 199.5 horsepower at the rear wheels with 40 IDA Webers and stock heat exchangers is an awful lot of fun in a 914-6.

Bruce's recommendations make a great reliable engine, but I think Henry is the man these days!
mepstein
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 3 2017, 10:40 AM) *

My 2.7 in the conversion car was put together per Bruce Anderson's book, but eventually pulled a head stud (even though we had used Timeserts in the case). When I had Henry Schmidt at Supertec rebuild the long block with Casesavers and his head studs, he used a S cam profile and his other magic tweaks. 199.5 horsepower at the rear wheels with 40 IDA Webers and stock heat exchangers is an awful lot of fun in a 914-6.

Bruce's recommendations make a great reliable engine, but I think Henry is the man these days!

I would lust to have one of Henry's hot rod engines.
Larmo63
I have that Bruce Anderson book.

I can't read, but I do look at the pictures quite a bit.

beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(McMark @ May 3 2017, 04:45 AM) *

Why don't you install the engine, get it running, and then decide if it doesn't have enough power. You've already got a list of work to do, why add more on speculation?

Because that way he can join Mueller in the "boy is it gonna be a great motor when it finally runs" club? wink.gif

--DD
Larmo63
Actually, I'm trying to take an intelligent approach to the task I've taken on.

I am in agreement with McMark's comment.

Also, it may be time to just let this thread die.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 4 2017, 03:35 PM) *

I have that Bruce Anderson book.

I can't read, but I do look at the pictures quite a bit.

beerchug.gif

Lawrence don't get into that work,just get the lump in there ,Nascar is nascar ,Porsche design logic is up there ,you need to maintain power in your normally driving range RPM otherwise it won't be easy to drive,mods are great but you have to read up and find an equal balance of drivability against top end power...enough of my rant.
Good luck man beerchug.gif
ljubodraz
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 4 2017, 12:31 AM) *

Actually, I'm trying to take an intelligent approach to the task I've taken on.

I am in agreement with McMark's comment.

Also, it may be time to just let this thread die.

Please don't let your thread die. popcorn[1].gif
I wish you the best in completing your goals in one way or another. If it were easy... insert wise quote here.
get off my lawn
I know a guy who has been building a show quality muscle car for a long, long time.
When i say building, I mean he writes checks and breaks out the credit card.

About two years into the project I told him that he would never ever finish that car and that would be intentional, by design.

he said I was FOS but I went on to explain that he was in love with the dream, the fantasy.
If he ever finished the car he would have to accept that it is not absolutely perfect in every way and that it didn't live up to his dreams.
That scares him so he'll never finish the car because he doesn't want to.

Again he said I was FOS.

Fast forward 13 years later the car was ALMOST done, but he decided it needed a color change.
And it now needs an automatic transmission instead of the $3500 manual he had installed.

He has at least $70k into it already but he will never drive that car.

Some folks dream of finishing a project, for some the project IS the dream.

In summary, PUT THE DARN CAR TOGETHER! Please. welder.gif
76-914
Perfection ain't Lar's problem. He's a slop artist like most of us. He just does this for the attention. biggrin.gif
Larmo63
Question about mounting the fuel pump.....

Hard mount, or rubber bushings? I know it needs to be grounded too.
porschetub
Interesting choice of pumps,appears NOS ,I have a nice shiny NOS Hardi and never used it,where do you plan to mount it ?.
Seem to remember them rubber mounted,if you need mounts I think the early BMW 3 and 5 series AFM/airbox ones work if your mounting holes are 6mm.
No pressure regulator required for the pump you have which is a bonus.
Larmo63
I sourced it from Australia, I'm mounting it up front....

You'll see.
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 6 2017, 05:25 PM) *

Question about mounting the fuel pump.....

Hard mount, or rubber bushings? I know it needs to be grounded too.

I used rubber bushings on all my pumps. That way they don't transfer vibration to the body.
McMark
Hard mounting will transfer more noise to the chassis.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9217k33/=17itoht
Larmo63
Some more welding to be done tomorrow, bottom front trunk metal with louvers, and oil cooler. Once that is done and painted, the oil cooler, oil cooler lines, thermostat, fuel pump, and fuel tank & lines all go in.

***I'm putting the spare receiver on the front bulkhead, anybody got a 15" space saver tire that they can measure for me?***

Diameter needed. Thank you.

I'm excited to move to the back of the car now, I think that is near where the motor is going to go. beer.gif
'73-914kid
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 15 2017, 05:50 PM) *

Some more welding to be done tomorrow, bottom front trunk metal with louvers, and oil cooler. Once that is done and painted, the oil cooler, oil cooler lines, thermostat, fuel pump, and fuel tank & lines all go in.

***I'm putting the spare receiver on the front bulkhead, anybody got a 15" space saver tire that they can measure for me?***

Diameter needed. Thank you.

I'm excited to move to the back of the car now, I think that is near where the motor is going to go. beer.gif

I can get you a diameter tomorrow evening after work. Or, you can drive down to Vista tomorrow evening, grab some tacos, and borrow mine, so you know it's in the right place?
Larmo63
Found it.....20.25" for either the 15" or the 16".....

Thanks!!
JmuRiz
My 15" 951 space saver is only 19.75" in diameter, and CRAZY light to boot.

(I plan to use them on the other car, should save me 10-15lb per corner!)
Larmo63
Progress......

Click to view attachment
euro911
A bolt-on, eh?
mb911
No those look like the butt weld clamps. They work great.
76-914
Yup. I just discovered there a 2 different grades of butt weld clamps.
Larmo63
We ground down the middle squares to make them as thin as possible.

They work great for this application.
Larmo63
Sunday welding day....

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Welding guy is somewhat finished, so I decided to start building.....

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.