Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uhh-Ohh….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Larmo63
And.....

Click to view attachment
Justinp71
Looks like your making good progress. Is that a Fuel Pump?

Dave_Darling
Has to be a fuel pump.

You do have grommets for those holes, right?

--DD
Larmo63
Yes, the fuel lines are tightly grommeted at the bulkhead.
76-914
I pulled a sheeplove.gif grommet out of place when tugging on a fuel line Saturday. Gonna be a bitch getting it back in with the hose in place. headbang.gif See ya in Mammoth! beerchug.gif
Larmo63
I'm not pulling on those hoses for that very reason.

It's Eaton Aeroquip hose, and it's pretty tough.
Larmo63
Which starter should I buy? The best is what I want, but what are the choices/prices?

(uhhhh, what battery too?) hide.gif
porschetub
Presume you are talking Eaton pushlok if so great choice,will never give issues,stock starter in good condition is fine,battery well there are so many options I won't comment.
good luck mate.
Steve
I ran a stock starter with my 2.7. No problems. After going to a 3.2, I sold the car and Otto's installed some beafy starter in it. I have all the receipts. I will find out what he installed.
I'm running an optima battery. I jury rigged a battery maintainer for it through the cigarette lighter. I heard the odyssey? batteries are better. Lots of threads on this if you do a search.
'73-914kid
Just get the bosch SR68X starter. It will turn your engine over no problem.
Justinp71

Flat six soon to be started! Warning- Big grins from ear to ear are in your near future! I've driven lots of cars, but not much compares to a 914-6 (so far).
Real6
Dude, rotate your pictures!!!!!
Larmo63
I'm still plugging along, Marty will have my headers done in about a week, starter is here, small stuff like clutch and speedo cable on the way.....I'm so proud that my car is transitioning, it's so fashionable these days......

Click to view attachment

wndsrfr
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 24 2017, 05:25 AM) *

Just get the bosch SR68X starter. It will turn your engine over no problem.

agree.gif That beefy Bosch SR68X also won't eat your flywheel ring gear....I scored one from Amazon with no core required!!!
forrestkhaag
Larmo's pictures are properly aligned from his point of view lying on the floor of his garage with a tool in his right hand.......
lol-2.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 14 2017, 08:59 PM) *

I'm still plugging along, Marty will have my headers done in about a week, starter is here, small stuff like clutch and speedo cable on the way.....I'm so proud that my car is transitioning, it's so fashionable these days......

I am looking at a set of headers from Marty. Nice stuff!
Larmo63
More parts filtering in.....228mm clutch parts, guy sent a five hole flywheel because he was told it was for a 914.....

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Some MSDS bling that goes underneath the car....

Click to view attachment
JRust
Looking good Lawrence aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 3 2017, 10:32 PM) *

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm going to list the whole project for sale. I'm over it. Too much disappointment and frustration.

I don't think I can finish this thing, maybe someone else wants to take a shot? I'll probably part this mess out.

You needed to come ride with me at WCR. Or, put on one of those wet suits I see hanging in your garage and go surf it out. Heck, I'd have let you drive it. Once you've driven a six, you are spoiled for anything else. (apologies to the Type IV guys, you don't know what you're missing). Fly on up to Reno and you can stay at my place. We'll go drive mine around Lake Tahoe. If you still feel like giving up after that, you probably should...
Larmo63
That was April 3rd, this is now. I rode with Mike D. and Don6 up in Mammoth.

I'm sold on the whole program, it just took more time than I anticipated.

I may take you up on the offer though, thanks!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 1 2017, 01:19 AM) *

That was April 3rd, this is now. I rode with Mike D. and Don6 up in Mammoth.

I'm sold on the whole program, it just took more time than I anticipated.

I may take you up on the offer though, thanks!!

It's serious. I'm only home every other weekend though... dry.gif
Larmo63
I'm still on the fence as to whether I should port the heads on this 2.7 from 32mm to 36mm. Doing this will definitely delay engine install. I am waiting on a wiring harness from Perry, and the ignition system is coming next weekend. Only a few more loose ends are keeping me from assembling the transmission to the engine and installing it. Doing the porting will take an additional 4-6 weeks, but a potential HP gain is tempting.

Almost all of the small things that would impede construction and installation have been gathered and accounted for. The devil is in the details.....

Click to view attachment

76-914
You won't ever need that additional HP unless you want to drag race it. How much is enough HP? Your already going to feel a kick in the pants coming from a 4. A weak one at that! stirthepot.gif I see 6-7 weeks of valuable driving time kaput. And for what? Someone like Andy with a 3.6 or Clay with his 4.0 is going to blow you off the road. poke.gif Button it up and drive it before you go off the deep end; again! biggrin.gif Hell, you'll probably be almost as fast as me anyway. lol-2.gif
flyer86d
What cams are you using? I think that you will pick up some power over 5K RPM with the bigger ports. However, the small port motor is making lower end power while the big port motor is trying to come up on its cams. While the 5K rush is great fun, you probably will find the small port Motor more fun and easier to drive on the street. Example, why were the 2.4E's so quick? Mild cams and small ports. With mine I gave little away to 2.7 RS's.

Charlie
Larmo63
Cams are DC 30, between E and S profile.....
flyer86d
Stick it in and enjoy it. That will be a torquey fun motor.

Charlie
flyer86d
With an open enough exhaust, it'll pull to 7300 like an S.

Charlie
Larmo63
MSDS 1 5/8" OD headers actual 1 1/2" ID and a Dansk sport two pipe muffler....
McMark
agree.gif with those guys. You're not making more horsepower, you taking it from the <2500rpm range and reusing it in the >4500rpm range. For a street car I'd absolutely keep the power down low. That's why I love my small turbo setup so much -- lots of power for acceleration.

Not to mention the very very very important fact, that the motor can always come back out. It's harder to get it installed and running, than it would be to pull it back out later. The way I see it, install the motor and drive it, if you're not wiling to pull the motor again to chase after some horsepower then you didn't really want it anyway.
mepstein
agree.gif get it on the road and enjoy. Play with it more later.
There's always some sorting and mods you will want to do after you drive it for a while.
Dave_Darling
Or you could be like Mueller, forever chasing down the "perfect" motor to put in your 914, and never actually having a motor in your 914...

--DD
SixerJ
Most recent comments have nailed it, McMark especially. Get it installed and enjoy for the rest of the summer.

My 2.4S at some point in its life ended up with E cams (due to rusty oil tank judging by the file). I could never understand people's comments about S having little power down low, mine did? When the car was restored and the engine rebuilt the cams were replaced with S

The S rush is fabulous on the right roads and without traffic but those are thin on the ground. Being honest I preferred the car as it was...much more fun for 80% of the road conditions

DC30 grind sounds like a great combo for a 2.7 which naturally has more grunt than the 2.4

You will not be disappointed with the set up you have

Larmo63
I talked to John Dougherty about his cams in the engine, and he recommended the 36mm ports, so here goes nothing....

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I am going to install this engine in this car.

SWEAR!! driving.gif
Krieger
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 8 2017, 09:19 AM) *

I am going to install this engine in this car.

SWEAR!! driving.gif

I dare you to!
Larmo63
Nice rebuilt heads, new valves....This is what we found when we took the heads off....

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
A few hours later, the dead carcass....

Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 8 2017, 11:46 AM) *
Nice rebuilt heads, new valves....

Click to view attachment
Already re-ported, or on their way out again?
Larmo63
They are going bye-bye. It's going to take about two weeks to do the porting work, and I do have a few other odds and ends to accomplish in the meantime.

My list is getting much, much shorter. I'm still ordering more parts, as if I haven't had enough Pelican, Patrick, and eBay shit showing up at the front door.

Stay tuned....
76-914
Go for it. Hopefully you won't have another list to sort out once it is "finished"! beerchug.gif If it gives you any problems we can always throw a Subaru power plant in that thing. biggrin.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 8 2017, 07:02 PM) *

They are going bye-bye. It's going to take about two weeks to do the porting work, and I do have a few other odds and ends to accomplish in the meantime.

My list is getting much, much shorter. I'm still ordering more parts, as if I haven't had enough Pelican, Patrick, and eBay shit showing up at the front door.

Stay tuned....

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Lol.....

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
When you want an engine harness done correctly for your /6 conversion, I would HIGHLY recommend Perry Kiehl for the work.

Dang, the guy is the DaVinci of DaWiring....!!!!

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Oh, and......,I found a '66 911 garage find very close to my house that I'm negotiating on buying.

Complete survivor.
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 14 2017, 09:59 PM) *

Oh, and......,I found a '66 911 garage find very close to my house that I'm negotiating on buying.

Complete survivor.

awesome!

I need a '66. My birth year.
Larmo63
I installed one of Chris/Tangerine's cool 90 degree turn clutch wheel brackets along with a Patrick Motorsports delrin wheel. I used the "pulled back holes so I won't need spacers on the clutch clevis cable end.

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
Twill be a masterpiece!

beerchug.gif
Larmo63
One of my biggest financial hurdles was to buy the Clewett Engineering ignition system and wires.

It's here now, waiting for my heads to be done and I also scored some lower turbo covers.

Click to view attachment

Richard is a very nice guy too, btw!
Larmo63
Installs similar to this....

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.