Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uhh-Ohh….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Larmo63
Right now, my issue isn't getting it done, it's HOW to do the wiring. I'm not quite clear on what I'm doing with the ignition system.

I think it will be a miracle if it actually starts. I think I need an electrical genius to wire this stuff.

That's what is holding me up.
McMark
Post pictures of the documentation you have and I'll see if I can lend a hand. I could probably look it up on The Google™ but I'm sooooooo lazy. yawn.gif gint2.gif
Larmo63
Three calls to Richard Clewett, and one to Perry Kiehl, I'm golden.

.....until I turn the key?

I just kept at it, one wire and/or bunch of wires at a time. I actually think I got it. Next up is wiring the gauges. Automobile electrical work isn't my strong suit.
Larmo63
My little world I've been living in......

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Final product in the trunk.....

Click to view attachment
(First I have to whine about it, then I go and just do it)
sb914
Met Richard a couple weeks ago in seal beach.nice guy and very knowledgeable!
Moter Looks sweet in there Larry!Click to view attachment
porschetub
Perry was a real help to me and pointed out issues and he was spot on with his comments....just saying.
Larmo63
Perry has to be one of the nicest guys in our hobby!!!

I am so happy with the harnesses he made for my conversion.

beerchug.gif
Larmo63
Once I got my pea brain wrapped around the wiring today, I kind of got in a mode. When I was done I had a great feeling of satisfaction, but wanted to keep going. It's addicting.

I still have fuel lines to hook up, fuel pump to wire, some gauge work, headers, muffler, new rear shift linkage rod is coming tomorrow from PMS, and then install carbs permanently. Oh, I need air cleaners and breather hose.

That's about it, I think?

I did a direct cable accelerator set up, I'm not sure how thats going to work out. We'll see.

driving-girl.gif
Krieger
Looking good! How did you hook up the accelerator cable ?
Larmo63
It's a heavy duty marine/boat accelerator cable.
Larmo63
More Patrick Motorsports goodness arrived by the front door today. The "last" thing I needed to buy. (are they ever done?)

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
MSDS Headers went on, I need to cut a couple "mouse holes" for the two pipes in the GT muffler.

I wonder if that style muffler is worth cutting up a perfectly good valance?

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Getting it done.

Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 24 2017, 06:40 PM) *

MSDS Headers went on, I need to cut a couple "mouse holes" for the two pipes in the GT muffler.

I wonder if that style muffler is worth cutting up a perfectly good valance?

Click to view attachment

I would buy a fiberglas replica and cut that instead.
Maybe AIR or Getty
Larmo63
The PMS shift linkage bar is a beefy & well built piece, but the cup and rod needed a little persuasion to fit together. Wifey went to bed, so of course I'm out underneath the car working underneath it until 11:00 at night. I got it all buttoned up, but the shifter is terrible inside the car. I had the shifter out earlier in the build and the front tunnel rod is out of adjustment (I think?)

This is going to be fun.

Click to view attachment
Steve
Download Dr. Evils trans supplement at this link. It has information on how to adjust all the shifters.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257269
Larmo63
Thanks Steve. I read it and will make an attempt to adjust the shifter per his instructions today. It's a combination of new clutch cable, linkage, and in/out of the shifter.

All of those moving parts.
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 25 2017, 08:29 AM) *

Thanks Steve. I read it and will make an attempt to adjust the shifter per his instructions today. It's a combination of new clutch cable, linkage, and in/out of the shifter.

Clutch part is easy. Push clutch pedal to floor. Then grab the clutch pedal and pull up and down. Adjust the cable til you have 1/2" free play, pulling the pedal towards you and away from you. Adjusting the stop on the pedal board requires typically two people. One to push the pedal to the floor and the other person to let you know that the throw out bearing arm is not moving anymore. The stop is to prevent the cable from getting stretched and wear and tear on clutch tube, etc.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 25 2017, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 25 2017, 08:29 AM) *

Clutch part is easy. Push clutch pedal to floor. Then grab the clutch pedal and pull up and down. Adjust the cable til you have 1/2" free play, pulling the pedal towards you and away from you. Adjusting the stop on the pedal board requires typically two people. One to push the pedal to the floor and the other person to let you know that the throw out bearing arm is not moving anymore. The stop is to prevent the cable from getting stretched and wear and tear on clutch tube, etc.

It's also to prevent over centering the clutch. It needs to disengage the disc enough, but not so much to stress the spring
Larmo63
What fuse should I use for switched power for the fuel pump?

Which side of the fuse block?

Oh, and when are you coming by to help me adjust my clutch (and shifter,) Steve?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 24 2017, 06:41 PM) *

Getting it done.

Click to view attachment

Your 9146 build is looking good Lawrence , appreciate your choice in exhaust headers ¡ driving.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 25 2017, 04:24 PM) *

Oh, and when are you coming by to help me adjust my clutch (and shifter,) Steve?

IIRC,any but the last 3. Drop the fuse panel and look behind at the wires. There are some open spades you can attach to. I wouldn't share a fuse. Just add an in-line fuse off one of those spades. beerchug.gif
euro911
Maybe this will help ?

IPB Image
Larmo63
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 25 2017, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 24 2017, 06:41 PM) *

Getting it done.

Click to view attachment

Your 9146 build is looking good Lawrence , appreciate your choice in exhaust headers ¡ driving.gif

I got a little plug in there for your company!!!!
porschetub
[quote name='Larmo63' date='Aug 26 2017, 11:24 AM' post='2520821']

No the relay board mod as per Andy's tech article,but I suspect you may have gone relay board delete ??
Call Perry if you have done relay board delete,gez I don't remember the colours sorry......getting close for you.

EDIT....
Sorry forgot you went to front fuel pump if you still have a relay board you can run a power feed down the fuel return to the original plug in the engine bay,not easy to do but worked for me.
If no relayboard you will need to find a supply and wire a relay in there and supporting fuse (7.5 amp),you would then link to the 12 pin plug,however happy to be proved wrong ?.
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 25 2017, 04:24 PM) *

I have time next weekend. This weekend I will be in Sun City for my Moms bday.
rhodyguy
Have you switched over to powering the pump using the jumper wire from the engine compartment relay board (classic thread forum) and the stock FP harness?
Larmo63
I wired it to a dash switch, then I'll go fused to switched power.

I have the option of turning on the ignition without the fuel pump running.

Theft deterrent?
Larmo63
Wiring gauges and working under the dash of a 914 is NOT fun. Poor Trudy, she had to put up with my moans, groans, swearing, growling, sighing, grumbling, cursing, stomping, cajoling, barking, grunting, cursing, figuring, fussing, working, and finishing.

It will (still) be a miracle if this all works. WTF.gif

I'm pretty confident it will. Although, I will be Amazed.

I did the tach adapt box, fuel pump power, oil pressure gauge, and oil temperature gauge.

On to other adventures tomorrow. My list grows shorter.
IronHillRestorations
It helps to be of smaller stature like me Lawrence, but I remember it was a lot easier 25 years ago. Taking out the seats helps,
Larmo63
I took the driver's seat and the steering wheel out. Packing blankets on the floor of the garage and inside floor of the car help.

Still, the wiring under a 914 dash is hard to get to. I'd like to think that I got it all in one fell swoop.

I still need to pick up a dash light jumper for the oil pressure gauge. I think that is the only thing left to do in the dash area. I may say it is a pain in the ass to do, but once I get into "wiring mode," I actually enjoy the challenge of point to point wiring. The German side of my brain comes into play. All of the routing I did is tidy, zip tied, up and out of the way.

Steve
I remove the lower dash pad. It's just a screw on each end and several big ones underneath. After that just slide it back towards the rear of the car
76-914
Don't get any wires near the steering u-joint. Ask me how I know. Try this: take a piece of 3/4" plywood ~17.5" x 13.5". When you remove the seat lay this piece on the seat track. I drove 2 nails thru the plywood that pass thru the square holes so it won't slide around. Just be sure to round off the end of the nails. Then put a cushion over the plywood. Quite comfortable! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I used some thick black plastic wire guard above the U-joint. I had some old 914 wiring harnesses from my parts pile that I pilfered wires from.

I like that board idea, Kent. Why don't you market that? KMA.gif

I have had the kneepad out, Steve, but I didn't really need it out for this wiring. w00t.gif
Larmo63
Dave Darling said it the best: "You're 90% done with 90% more to go."

That's where I'm at.
Matty900
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 26 2017, 06:09 PM) *

Wiring gauges and working under the dash of a 914 is NOT fun. Poor Trudy, she had to put up with my moans, groans, swearing, growling, sighing, grumbling, cursing, stomping, cajoling, barking, grunting, cursing, figuring, fussing, working, and finishing.

I did the tach adapt box, fuel pump power, oil pressure gauge, and oil temperature gauge.

Your not making me look forward to doing this in my car this week. How long did it take you?
euro911
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 27 2017, 05:20 AM) *
It helps to be of smaller stature like me Lawrence, but I remember it was a lot easier 25 years ago. Taking out the seats helps,
True, but having a younger person with a resilient body would be better.

Neat idea on the seat board, Kent idea.gif ... I still have the driver's seat out of the 'BB'
Larmo63
Good thing your are a smaller guy too, Matt!!!

A couple afternoons. I'm making it sound worse than it really was. It almost gets addictive.

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 27 2017, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 26 2017, 06:09 PM) *

Your not making me look forward to doing this in my car this week. How long did it take you?
Larmo63
I hooked up the battery today and all systems seem to be good. Everything works.

Now, If I can get my carb guy back with my parts, I can pour oil and gas in.

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Larmo63
I'm waiting on our carb guy to get my stuff back.

The wait is killing me.

Click to view attachment

porschetub
If your fuel pressure is right,and the carbs setup on a basic bench setup,it will run...turn the bloody key ok av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Get those vw beetle style tail pipes sorted too when your carb parts have been sorted ok biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .
Larmo63
GT banana style muffler..........

screwy.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 29 2017, 06:11 PM) *

screwy.gif

Mine Too! av-943.gif

Click to view attachment

porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 30 2017, 01:11 PM) *

screwy.gif

Was joking no offence ok? biggrin.gif .
Larmo63
The only offense is if it doesn't sound great!!!!
Larmo63
Fuel lines hooked to fuel regulator up this afternoon. I'm this close. If I can get our carb guy to respond, I think we will start it by the weekend. He has a few crucial parts of mine that I need to get from him. I may have depended and trusted that I would get these parts back sooner. I don't want to say too much, but his communication skills are.....never mind.

Click to view attachment
Blue6

screwy.gif

I removed mine for a triad. It was just toooo quiet...
'73-914kid
Lawrence, what kind of carb parts are you missing? I have a decent collection of 3BBL IDA parts in a box at home. might help you get the ball rolling quicker.
914_teener
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Aug 29 2017, 10:02 PM) *

screwy.gif

I removed mine for a triad. It was just toooo quiet...

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.